Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wi-Fi or Cellular?

• Wi-Fi!

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • Wi-Fi + Cellular!

Votes: 63 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
Wifi, only because I have tethering with my data plan with VZW. Not a money thing, just a "can't justify" it thing, as I don't think I'd use it enough to merit a dedicated connection.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Always go for cellular. You'll find it a pain to use all the other possible solutions when there's no wifi available. However, I'm in the UK and don't have an iPhone.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have always had cellular iPad. It is the only way to go for me. The convenience is unmatched.
The few rimes I've tried it, tethering had been too slow.

Last edited:

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
Cellular for me, and I am digging the new 'Apple sim,' can't wait to see how it plays out.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Not buying this year, but WiFi for me. I understand why people buy cellular, it just doesn't make sense for me personally to have that extra bill.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
My iPad 3 is cellular. But, I'm going for wifi-only this time. When I bought the 3, I didn't have a hot spot capable phone. Now that I do, can't justify spending the extra money on 4G.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I'm probably going with wifi only just like I have with my last 3 iPads. 90% of the time it doesn't leave my house and when it does its maybe once a month and its for a longer car ride so I would use it to stream Netflix or Moviebox or play a game. I used to have a jailbroken iPhone for the hotspot feature and unlimited data. I haven't been jailbroken for about a year now so what I do is pick what I want to watch on Moviebox and download it to the device ahead of time.

Worst case, if I need data on the go, thats what my 6 Plus is for.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
WIFI+LTE for me. My current iPad 3 is wifi only and I often find myself wishing I had LTE on there. I know I can tether it to my 6+ but that's just draining from both devices instead of just one. I also like the idea that if I misplace/lose my iPad in an area where it's not connected to wifi, I can still track it.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
WIFI+LTE for me. My current iPad 3 is wifi only and I often find myself wishing I had LTE on there. I know I can tether it to my 6+ but that's just draining from both devices instead of just one. I also like the idea that if I misplace/lose my iPad in an area where it's not connected to wifi, I can still track it.

Was thinking about going Cellular for the first time. Then refuted it, but now that you've mentioned the Find My iPad feature using cellular, I'll just get the cellular. Good point.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I have two iPad Air wifi and a LTE ipad 3.

Ipad 3 is starting to get long in the tooth. Will pick up lte iPad Air 2 64gb. Ipad 3 LTE will be "retired" until good trade in deal come up. So will just keep it for backup in case the 2 and 4 year old kids accidently destroy the iPad air wifi.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
The Verizon cellular version is the only model I'll even consider purchasing this year.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Wifi model for me. I was set to grab an LTE model this year but I realized that I haven't had a single occurrence that I dreaded not having an LTE Air. I purchase a new iPad every year so for me it would be an additional cost of $250 for the year. $120 for a year of service ($10 a month) + $130 extra for an iPad. I can use that $250 towards another iPad next year instead of wasting it on a feature I won't use. If I'm ever in need of LTE I can always setup a hotspot on my phone.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
iPad Wi-Fi Only for me.

Before the iPhone 6 Plus was introduced, I was seriously considering getting a cellular iPad. I'm not in a lot of situations where I carry my iPad beyond the house, except for travel. The few times where I am on extended travel and would prefer a larger screen prior to getting to a hotel with free WiFi was just enough to justify the expense.

Now the 6 Plus (and the carrier switch) is filling that gap for me. I have a screen large enough for navigation, surfing, etc. while in motion. The iPad will work for being stationary. Saving on the cellular bill too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.