Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of OS X Yosemite today, Apple has updated its iWork suite of productivity apps on both Mac and iOS with support for the new version of OS X and Continuity, which allows users to continue their work from their iOS devices to Macs and back again.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-16-at-2.39.52-PM.png
iWork for Mac received the biggest improvements, with all new looks for Pages, Keynote and Numbers inspired by the look of OS X Yosemite. iWork for iOS received support for third-party storage providers, allowing users to save their documents with providers like Dropbox. Both versions of iWork received numerous improvements and refinements, like updated file formats for easier sharing through Gmail and Dropbox, customizable alignments and much more.

Apple's line of iWork apps are free to users who have recently purchased a new Mac or iOS device. Otherwise, each iWork app for Mac is available for $19.99 while each iWork app for iOS is available for $9.99.

Pages for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Keynote for Mac - [Mac App Store]
Numbers for Mac - [Mac App Store]

Pages for iOS - [App Store]
Keynote for iOS - [App Store]
Numbers for iOS - [App Store]

Article Link: Apple Updates iWork for iOS and Mac with Yosemite and Continuity Support

kevin4

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
I thought it was free for all. Oh well, I'll wait a little longer for the Macbook Air with Retina Display

racingbull

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AppleScript Support for MAIL MERGE!!!!

(now I just need to figure out how this works).

*happy*

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Woo, been waiting for these. Can't wait until iMovie/FCP and Garageband/Logic are updated too.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Some of us aren't interested in an "all new look" for iWork. What we want is all the old features.

Funny. I still keep the '09 copy for this reason. Apple dumbed down iWork so much it made it difficult for me to use on the simplest things. I find '09 version so much more powerful and useful. The new version makes you jump around hoops to do certain things and I find it very limiting.

RobFog

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Hm, the new versions don’t support Mavericks…

Some of us aren't interested in an "all new look" for iWork. What we want is all the old features.
It would appear most of the important ones have been re-added at this point. :)

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
They haven't added update for Keynote yet..

I have only been able to update Numbers and Pages and god damn they actually made both enjoyable to use. No lag, stutter, no glitches no nothing. If it keeps going like these, I might convert away from Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
They ought to provide Pages for free since the last version was unusable.

Correction: It was unusable for YOU. Not everyone has the same bugs and glitches. Pages runs perfect for me right now.

To everyone complaining about OS X Yosemite looks:
If you don't like it, don't download it. I have friends that are still using Snow Leopard to this very day. Nobody is forcing you to go with the flow of design changes. Time Cook is definitely not holding a gun to your head until you update. Why complain? We the choice when it comes to OS and software updates.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hm, the new versions don’t support Mavericks…

Are you saying that they've added back support for linked text boxes back into Pages?!? :eek:

Correction: It was unusable for YOU. Not everyone has the same bugs and glitches. Pages runs perfect for me right now.

To everyone complaining about OS X Yosemite looks:
If you don't like it, don't download it. I have friends that are still using Snow Leopard to this very day. Nobody is forcing you to go with the flow of design changes. Time Cook is definitely not holding a gun to your head until you update. Why complain? We the choice when it comes to OS and software updates.
Exactly! Apple knows what's best! It's not like people complained about Apple removing the Camera Roll in iOS 8 and as a result Apple restored it... ummm...oh wait...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Funny. I still keep the '09 copy for this reason. Apple dumbed down iWork so much it made it difficult for me to use on the simplest things. I find '09 version so much more powerful and useful. The new version makes you jump around hoops to do certain things and I find it very limiting.

I deleted the new version the moment I saw what they'd done to it. Too many lost features that are critical to my workflow.

----------

Linkage?

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Dowlaoded the update for iOS Numbers. Looks like you cannot open any files unless they reside in the "Numbers" folder of iCloud Drive. Such a terrible decision imo to force people to stay within their file system. I will be sticking with Google Docs/Drive for now. Very disappointing.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Are you saying that they've added back support for linked text boxes back into Pages?!? :eek:

Exactly! Apple knows what's best! It's not like people complained about Apple removing the Camera Roll in iOS 8 and as a result Apple restored it... ummm...oh wait...

Good Point. Oh, and remember that day when people complained about the iOS 7 "flat" design and Jony Ive decided to change it back. . . . oh wait a minute! :p

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I deleted the new version the moment I saw what they'd done to it. Too many lost features that are critical to my workflow.

----------

Linkage?

The iWork apps have been getting continuous updates since they were first released. I find them much easier to use than the old versions and the killer feature is the fact that I can view or work on my documents on my mobile devices without worrying that it's going to mess up my file because there is full feature parity across different devices and on the web version. The web version parity was particular important for us because some of us aren't on Macs.

As a power user, I could never go back to the old iWork apps now. Particularly because the ability to share and work on documents in real time with other people was nonexistent in the old apps. I can even edit on my iPhone while my coworker is editing in iCloud.com on her Windows PC. In real time. And that's just one of the new features the old versions never had.

Of course you wouldn't know all that since you said you deleted them the moment you saw them. :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That’s what I gathered reading over the release notes for the updates since the initial release. I am not aware of a resource that lists them all.

I haven't seen any release notes for this version. The prior updates weren't even close to the mark so I am skeptical that they have suddenly fixed all the feature deletions.

----------

The iWork apps have been getting continuous updates since they were first released. I find them much easier to use than the old versions and the killer feature is the fact that I can view or work on my documents on my mobile devices without worrying that it's going to mess up my file because there is full feature parity across different devices and on the web version. The web version parity was particular important for us because some of us aren't on Macs.

As a power user, I could never go back to the old iWork apps now. Particularly because the ability to share and work on documents in real time with other people was nonexistent in the old apps. I can even edit on my iPhone while my coworker is editing in iCloud.com on her Windows PC. In real time. And that's just one of the new features the old versions never had.

Of course you wouldn't know all that since you said you deleted them the moment you saw them. :rolleyes:

We're not going through all of this again I hope. I wonder how you can call yourself a power user when you don't seem to miss features like linking text boxes and the template features that went bye-bye in new version.

I deleted them the moment I saw how badly they hosed my huge library of documents and templates.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Dowlaoded the update for iOS Numbers. Looks like you cannot open any files unless they reside in the "Numbers" folder of iCloud Drive. Such a terrible decision imo to force people to stay within their file system. I will be sticking with Google Docs/Drive for now. Very disappointing.

That's not true. Open Numbers, and hit the '+' symbol at the top of the app. In the menu that appears, tap 'More'. It'll let you select outside storage providers. For me, Dropbox and PDF Expert appeared. Enable them, and tap Done. The next time you press the same '+' symbol, you should see them in the list of sources. I see PDF Expert in my list, but not Dropbox, but that's probably because PDF Expert was updated for iOS 8 and Dropbox hasn't been. I was able to open a spreadsheet that was saved to PDF Expert.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

As a power user, how do you work around the fact that the latest version of Pages does NOT support linked text boxes? :confused: I genuinely would like to know. I'm NOT a power user and that omission alone makes the new version of Pages a non-starter and why I must stick with iWork '09. :(

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Glad to see they brought back a sane comments UI. Maybe next update they'll bring back the compact formatting bar. Until then, sticking with '09.

RobFog

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I haven't seen any release notes for this version. The prior updates weren't even close to the mark so I am skeptical that they have suddenly fixed all the feature deletions.
I never said "all", I wrote "most of the important ones".

----

Pages 5.5 adds "Insert inline images in tables, headers, and footers“, that missing feature previously kept me from updating from Pages 09. But I’m currently hesitant to update to Yosemite and Pages 5.5 requires Yosemite. Duh! I’ve been happily using the new Keynote and Numbers versions.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
As a power user, how do you work around the fact that the latest version of Pages does NOT support linked text boxes? :confused: I genuinely would like to know. I'm NOT a power user and that omission alone makes the new version of Pages a non-starter and why I must stick with iWork '09. :(

In 20 years of professional work, I never used a linked text box. Since it is the key, must have feature that you are being so harsh and critical about, please explain what it is.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
In 20 years of professional work, I never used a linked text box. Since it is the key, must have feature that you are being so harsh and critical about, please explain what it is.
That is the ability to have 2 text boxes placed in a document and have the text automatically flow from one box to the next. In Pages '09 that is what those little blue arrows/boxes are on a text box.

Here's a link to the Apple support forum discussing it:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5467973?tstart=0

another link: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/pages-linking-text-boxes

Since you're the professional, what do YOU call this feature?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.