Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:26 PM   #1
AWishForNoOne
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to AWishForNoOne
what about new iBooks?

i was just wondering what other people predict t the next iBook will be like both internally and aesthetically. here's my prediction:

the ibook will be thinner and lighter but the casing will remain mostly the same.

inside:
12.1"
800 MHz PowerPC G3
512K L2 cache @800MHz
128MB SDRAM memory
30GB Ultra ATA drive
ATI Radeon 7500
32MB dedicated video memory
Combo Drive
Built-in 56K v.92 modem
AirPort Card installed
Up to 6 hr. battery life

and progressively more for the higher end models...

i'm not expecting anything too crazy because the current iBooks are selling pretty well.
AWishForNoOne is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:27 PM   #2
AWishForNoOne
macrumors member

for the above exchange airport card installed with airport extreme ready...
Old Jan 20, 2003, 03:11 PM   #3
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Along with aiport extreme (a must for every new Apple laptop) I sure hope that it will have a 1 GHz G3 to boast.... as indeed ALL Macs should have a 1 GHz proc by March.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:31 PM   #4
cionheart
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to cionheart
This sounds very realistic to me

Some more thoughts: 900 Mhz should be possible for the higher end iBooks. Also, as far as I remember I read somwhere else Apple ordered a load of 900 Mhz G3s a month ago?

I also hope that they fix the Combo drive issue (burns only 4x instead of 16x). Most of the hardware will stay like it is now, like the Radeon 7500. Radeon 9000 is too fast (PB marketing). We will see Airport Extreme and perhaps even Bluetooth? The two new PB have ATA/100, that should make ATA/66 possible for the iBooks.

The more important question for me is: WHEN? I will switch soon (iBook) but I'm still waiting and hoping that they will upgrade the iBook soon. Anyone has a good hint? (Two more months should be ok for me but not much longer... *wannahaveit*)
cionheart is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 05:42 PM   #5
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

Yeah i am waiting but i don't think the ibooks will have specs that will higher than the 12" Pbook.

I'm only getting a 12" iBook because for price and the features it works out better to get it. I'm not paying 200 extra for 67mhz. Hell by the time i get it, the 12" will probably top 1Ghz!
Old Jan 20, 2003, 05:51 PM   #6
AWishForNoOne
macrumors member

the 12" pb has more than just 67 extra mhz. it is also a g4 which out performs a g3 by a heck-of-a-lot depending on what you're teseting it off of. in every single test in the latest issue of macworld, the pb g4 867 beat out the 800 g3 iBook by a LOT. not to mention that it's lighter, thinner, comes with more standard ram and hard drive space, built-in bluetooth, and super-drive option...
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:02 PM   #7
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

Yes i can understand that but those extras are just icing on an already appealing cake.

Its not that much lighter or thinner infact its the same if i'm correct. The superdrive was interesting but i had to think whether it was worth the extra dough.

But what made it taste bad for me was the lack of the 1MB cache on the 12" Pbook and its mhz speed (plus maybe the keyboard), i also don't understand why it couldn't be 1ghz instead. I would of bought it then because it would have had everything i wanted. It also lacked the PC card slot.

By the time i have the money things might have changed and the 12" might of been upgraded and so might the iBook. At the moment though the ibook looks more appealing and works out better for me.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:21 PM   #8
cionheart
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to cionheart
The same here. The first time I saw the PB 12" I thought it is a must-have. But coming down to earth I realized that it isn't just a small tip from the iBook 12" to the PB 12" it's A LOT of money, especially out of the US (discussed elsewhere). Finally, for me it isn't worth the extra money. If I need more power I save the money for a desktop PC which is even faster. The power of the iBook is enough for a mobile for me. The iBook was never build to edit big movies or images and for this kind of things the small screen of the PB 12" isn't perfect either.

Anyway this was already discussed elsewhere. I still hope that we will see some improvements of the new PB's in the next iBook revision like Bluetooth and Airport Extreme. Do you think this is possible? (Again: Anyone who wants to guess a date?)

Last edited by cionheart; Jan 20, 2003 at 06:23 PM.
cionheart is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:36 PM   #9
AWishForNoOne
macrumors member

according to the six month formula (which isn't always right) the next iBooks should be coming out in may. according to rumors going around there will be new iBook's in march. airport extremes are a guarentee but bluetooth might not be a shoe-in.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers