Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
im still waiting for the update of yosemite,but i have a few questions
with yosemite and ios 8 you can make and receive calls on your mac via the iphone

do i have to buy the facetime app to make this work?

and will the Apple EarPods work?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
let me answer my own question

is been so long that i forgot i had the facetime app already,came preinstalled

the apple earpods work just fine, the ones that come with the iphone

now the earpod cable is a little short, so if your mac mini is far away you need an extension cable. you can't just use a regular extention audio cable

you need a special one like this

TRRS Headset Extension Cable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DWGLLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plug this cable in to the back of the mini headphone port not audio port

using this cable the other person can hear you, and the volume up and down function on the keyboard works

now when you get or make a call you do need to hold option on the keyboard & select the volume icon on the menubar
(you do this if instead of using your speakers to hear the other person ,you can hear them on the earpods}

select the "headphone" on output device .
where it says inline it should be on "external microphone"

this is for people who don't have a headset or microphone but do have the apple EarPods laying around

if your reading this and you know a better solution without spending a lot of money or if I'm doing something wrong in my instructions, leave a reply

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.