Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
The lack of quad core makes my blood boil. Under-clock a i7 QC Haswell chip. Problem solved.

People who want QC want the threads anyway, not the speed.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Apple can't tell Intel what to make.

They would have had to have used the old chip and had two motherboard designs, perhaps refreshing the existing quad-core.

That's assuming they could get assurance from Intel that they could still buy the chips in quantity.

But, yea, it's disappointing. Lucky me, I have a 2012 i7 Mini.

I have to say I was caught unaware, but I suppose any industry observer would have known this, given the current Intel CPU lineup. You can get 4 cores in a desktop chip, but that can't package that in the Mini.

On the other hand, I was hoping for a Mini refresh, but not expecting it. I'd expected Apple to wait for the next chip generation.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Apple can't tell Intel what to make.

They would have had to have used the old chip and had two motherboard designs, perhaps refreshing the existing quad-core.

That's assuming they could get assurance from Intel that they could still buy the chips in quantity.

Apple makes the computers.

Intel makes the processors.

Apple sources the motherboards and internal parts from many different sources.

Intel doesn't make the motherboards. Apple simply chose to put the lower CPU's in the Mac mini. Your post sounds like there aren't other CPU's that could have been used.

Just understand and know, that it's not Intel's fault, but Apple's fault - alone.

But, yea, it's disappointing. Lucky me, I have a 2012 i7 Mini.

I have to say I was caught unaware, but I suppose any industry observer would have known this, given the current Intel CPU lineup. You can get 4 cores in a desktop chip, but that can't package that in the Mini.

Again, no. They simply CHOSE not to put the quad core chips into the Mac mini. It's not some sort of thing that wasn't possible or the parts weren't available. Don't be ridiculous.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Apple makes the computers.

Intel doesn't make the motherboards.

Where did I say that Intel makes the motherboards? They make the processor chips.

They simply CHOSE not to put the quad core chips into the Mac mini. It's not some sort of thing that wasn't possible or the parts weren't available. Don't be ridiculous.

Information on the main 2014 Mini thread suggested that Intel does not offer a suitable quad-core i7 Haswell mobile processor. They did in the previous generation, Ivy Bridge (used in the 2012 Mini) and are expected to in Broadwell (next generation, late this year).

However, I'm not sure now that that's correct. In fact, looking over the Haswell offerings on Wikipedia (which may not be either complete or accurate...) they do offer mobile i7 Haswell processors (in the mobile performance range) with 4 cores. However, they come with Iris Pro graphics, not Iris. Perhaps these exceeded either cost or thermal requirements.

It looks like this is the chip they are using:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75992

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
ehh, not spite IMO. Indifference. And that's worse. They completely take us for granted.
OR, it is because we are probably the most likely group to build a hackintosh, and this is our punishment.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
It's Tim Cook's Apple. Steve Jobs made interesting new products. Tim Cook moved Apple manufacturing overseas.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
It's Tim Cook's Apple. Steve Jobs made interesting new products. Tim Cook moved Apple manufacturing overseas.

Nationalistic codswallop.

As with so many products (including the All American icon, Harley Davidson), Apple products are made up of components sources from many countries, and assembled in another.

As I recall, under Steve Jobs assembly of all Apple products moved outside the USA. Under Tim Cook assembly of the Mac Pro returned to the USA.

Tough Guy

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
There's something wrong with being nationalistic now?

Who doesn't care about their surroundings? Do these people bother to clean their bedrooms or do they just lie around in filth, covered in insects and rodents?

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009

Steve Jobs made interesting new products and turned the Apple name into the most valuable brand in the world.

Timmy is cashing in on Apple's brand value to make piles of money of crap. But he is spending the brand to do it. You can only sell garbage for so long before the public wakes up.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Nationalistic codswallop.

As with so many products (including the All American icon, Harley Davidson), Apple products are made up of components sources from many countries, and assembled in another.

As I recall, under Steve Jobs assembly of all Apple products moved outside the USA. Under Tim Cook assembly of the Mac Pro returned to the USA.

Apple product production was moved offshore because Tim Cook convinced Steve Jobs to do so.

Tim Cook moved EVERYTHING off shore, and you congratulate him for moving one product?

And apparently my point went straight over your Thailand hating head (Since you hate nationalism). Steve Jobs had a vision. Tim Cook is a Wall Street CEO. He's trying to maximize profits fully while coasting on Jobs ideas. He's Apple's Steve Ballmer.

dirtylilhobo

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2014
Southwest USA
It is a bit disconcerting to witness the progress of my Mac-Mini originating in China. Too bad we can't do the manufacturing work here in the US. But, labor and material costs would probably drive the cost to an excess.

Anchorage, AK, United States 10/16/2014 3:12 P.M. Departure Scan
10/16/2014 12:44 P.M. Arrival Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 10/16/2014 7:46 P.M. Departure Scan
Shenzhen, China 10/13/2014 2:30 P.M. Departure Scan
10/13/2014 2:25 P.M. Export Scan
10/13/2014 2:25 P.M. Origin Scan
China 10/13/2014 10:40 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Apple product production was moved offshore because Tim Cook convinced Steve Jobs to do so.

Tim Cook moved EVERYTHING off shore, and you congratulate him for moving one product?

And apparently my point went straight over your Thailand hating head (Since you hate nationalism). Steve Jobs had a vision. Tim Cook is a Wall Street CEO. He's trying to maximize profits fully while coasting on Jobs ideas. He's Apple's Steve Ballmer.

Nationalism sucks.

I happen to work in (a highly nationalistic) Thailand at the moment. It is the source of some components used in Apple products, but not me.

I have lived and worked long term in four countries, am a national of three, and carry passports for two. One is Euro and a partial source of my genes. The other is Asia-Pacific, where I happen to have been born.

You could say I am a multinational, just like Apple and many other companies in these globalised days.

Steve Jobs founded Apple along with a couple of others, but he died a few years ago. Get over it; move on.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
The level of whining here is staggering along with the conspiracy theories that somehow Tim Cook or Apple is singling out users.

This is what is offered. Don't like it, complain to the source and/or go buy a different product.

It's also quite amazing at the sheer number of members we have that seem to be semi to professional video and photography editors working on Mac Mini's who now are at the gates with pitchforks and torches with boiling blood, vowing to never buy another Mac product and so on and so forth because the cards we aren't dealt are not the ones we wanted.
So we result to saying a dead man would not allow this but you know what? Steve is gone, he is not coming back, no person on this internet forum knew what he thought or what he would or would not allow.

Yes, the Mac Mini has 2 Cores. Yes firewire is gone. No there is no built in CD drive anymore and it isn't coming back. Yes you have on-chip graphics.
Wishful thinking and rumors won't change it, that's it. Today was the day, here's what they gave us. Buy it or don't buy it.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
There's something wrong with being nationalistic now?

Who doesn't care about their surroundings? Do these people bother to clean their bedrooms or do they just lie around in filth, covered in insects and rodents?

Easy tiger. There's a difference between being patriotic and nationalistic. The latter has a tendency towards bigotry and small-mindedness. As for your second sentence - where did that come from? Medication time!

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
The level of whining here is staggering along with the conspiracy theories that somehow Tim Cook or Apple is singling out users.

This is what is offered. Don't like it, complain to the source and/or go buy a different product.

It's also quite amazing at the sheer number of members we have that seem to be semi to professional video and photography editors working on Mac Mini's who now are at the gates with pitchforks and torches with boiling blood, vowing to never buy another Mac product and so on and so forth because the cards we aren't dealt are not the ones we wanted.
So we result to saying a dead man would not allow this but you know what? Steve is gone, he is not coming back, no person on this internet forum knew what he thought or what he would or would not allow.

Yes, the Mac Mini has 2 Cores. Yes firewire is gone. No there is no built in CD drive anymore and it isn't coming back. Yes you have on-chip graphics.
Wishful thinking and rumors won't change it, that's it. Today was the day, here's what they gave us. Buy it or don't buy it.

Give me the whiners over the Apple apologists any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Apple has had plenty of time and plenty of mobile quad core i7/5200 chips to choose from. Here they are:

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 11.11.39 PM.png

But you go ahead and keep apologizing.

Ridley

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
n/m I found it. First score is passmark CPU (higher is better). Second score is rank (lower is better)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

2014 Mac Mini
Intel dual Core i5-4288U @ 2.60GHz
NA
NA

Intel dual Core i7-4578U @ 3.00GHz
NA
NA
NA

2012 i7 Mac Mini (quad core)
Intel quad Core i7-3610QE @ 2.30GHz
NA
NA

Comparing 3rd gen quad core i7 to 4th gen dual core i7, the third gen is about 16% better passmark score. Which you could maybe sort of estimate to be 25-35% faster? That said the GPU on the Haswell chip is like 100% faster. For me though the Haswell i5 is what i'll get because i don't think its worth the $300 upgrade for the i7 and they both have the same GPU.

I pasted this in another thread. Yes the new CPU is slower, and that is crazy after waiting two years. And I would have LOVED iris pro 5200 instead of the 5100. However I'm stoked because I have three monitors to drive and i can retire my triplehead2go. All things considered I'll probably go with the i5. At least we know and can stop waiting! And with this I can play basic steam games with my friends.

FantieMu

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Only a STUPID person would buy that

:mad:, I say :mad:!
I hope only few will buy this unit, a total rip-off! I accept that an baseline units will be an i5, but an upgrade of dual core i7. TOTALLY AN :apple:RIP-OFF!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.