Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I got a quote to sell my wife's 32GB Verizon iPhone 5 to gazelle.com and had them send me a box. I figured I would try to sell it for more and if I couldn't, just send it to gazelle.

Anyway, the box arrived today. The quote was for $165. My wife looked it up on her PC and it was offering $185 for the same phone. Looked it up on my Mac again and I was quoted the same $165.

Does Gazelle.com really offer less money to Mac users? Quotes for my 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S were for $235 on both the Mac and the PC. What gives?

Just booted up Windows 10 preview in Parallels on my Mac and got a $185.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I checked earlier today on my 3 and they are offering a $20 bonus.

Your quote that was $20 less probably just didn't include the bonus. And was repopulated from the cookie on your Mac.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I checked earlier today on my 3 and they are offering a $20 bonus.

Your quote that was $20 less probably just didn't include the bonus. And was repopulated from the cookie on your Mac.

Cleared the cookies and got the $185 quote!

I had heard of websites showing higher priced hotels to Mac users, but never having to pay more (or get paid less). Glad to see they are being fair. (Don't see anything mentioned about a bonus though).

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Cleared the cookies and got the $185 quote!

I had heard of websites showing higher priced hotels to Mac users, but never having to pay more (or get paid less). Glad to see they are being fair. (Don't see anything mentioned about a bonus though).

That sounds a little unbelievable. Not on your part, but the situation in general. Why would anyone care what computer you use when the business in question has nothing to do with that? I think that's just a fallacy.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
That sounds a little unbelievable. Not on your part, but the situation in general. Why would anyone care what computer you use when the business in question has nothing to do with that? I think that's just a fallacy.

IIRC it was supported by the data. Mac users tend to spend more on hotels than PC users, so they (a travel website) listed the higher priced hotels first for Mac users.

It makes sense in the fact that the average Mac costs more than the average PC, so perhaps Mac users have more disposable income on average. Obviously, this is only on average.

I see nothing wrong with doing it that way. To charge more for the same product would bother me.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
IIRC it was supported by the data. Mac users tend to spend more on hotels than PC users, so they (a travel website) listed the higher priced hotels first for Mac users.

It makes sense in the fact that the average Mac costs more than the average PC, so perhaps Mac users have more disposable income on average. Obviously, this is only on average.

I see nothing wrong with doing it that way. To charge more for the same product would bother me.

You realize that sounds absolutely ridiculous. It's not a fact that Mac users spend more money than PC users just because a Mac cost more. That entire line really disturbs the hell out of me. You do realize that people put their money in different directions right? A PC user might buy a cheap $400 laptop but might spend top dollar on a BMW or eat at expensive restaurants while a Mac user might be very frugal and spend their money only on their computing needs.
Not every purchase a person makes is done through their computer so there's no way to realistically track how people spend their money and furthermore that's very stereotypical.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
You realize that sounds absolutely ridiculous. It's not a fact that Mac users spend more money than PC users just because a Mac cost more. That entire line really disturbs the hell out of me. You do realize that people put their money in different directions right? A PC user might buy a cheap $400 laptop but might spend top dollar on a BMW or eat at expensive restaurants while a Mac user might be very frugal and spend their money only on their computing needs.
Not every purchase a person makes is done through their computer so there's no way to realistically track how people spend their money and furthermore that's very stereotypical.

Too bad he's correct

http://business.time.com/2012/06/26/orbitz-shows-higher-prices-to-mac-users/

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011

OK, well, Mac users spend more money on hotels on their computer (it HAS been tracked). Maybe PC users use the phone to book their expensive hotels. I don't know what to tell you. I can only guess that the reason is people that have more expensive computers have more disposable income. It doesn't seem far fetched to me.

Sure, you might find an occasional BMW in the ghetto, but I bet you find them more often if you drive passed the $1 million homes.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I really wouldn't use Gazelle. When I was going to send them my Galaxy S4 they were going to give me $100. When I went to Swappa I saw the current market price for my phone's condition was $250+!

I'd recommend you sell your iPad on Swappa instead. It's not instant like Gazelle but you're going to make more money off of it in the long run.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
iPhone 5 with 32gb and in good condition are going for around $300-350 where I live.

I wouldn't take only $185 for it.

I just sold my 32gb 5s for $500 and some people are asking $550. Apple was offering around $300 for trade in on it.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Generally, yes, it is a fair assumption that if someone is willing to pick the more expensive product, that's because they have the disposable income to do so, which means they'll more likely buy other expensive things too.

It's not a true case for every single individual, but it's common understanding. If thing A does the same thing as thing B but it's cheaper and not as premium, and you choose the more expensive premium item, then you are most likely going to be more willing to buy more expensive things.

If you buy a BMW over a Toyota, it's because you want that luxury and that added bump. If you just need a car and you need it now, you're going for whatever is the cheapest you can get (that's still feasible), and the same can be said for computers (or anything really)

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
iPhone 5 with 32gb and in good condition are going for around $300-350 where I live.

I wouldn't take only $185 for it.

I just sold my 32gb 5s for $500 and some people are asking $550. Apple was offering around $300 for trade in on it.

If I can sell it for more, then I will. I figured I might as well get a lock on the Gazelle price as insurance. I saw one listed locally on craigslist for $200. I figured when I finally get the phone (still have over a week to wait) I'll list it for $300 on craigslist. If there are no offers over $200, I'll ship it to Gazelle as $15 isn't worth the hassle of meeting with people and having them potentially try to offer an even lower pice.

I'll do the same with my 32GB 5S, but it's not supposed to ship until the 10th.

Glad to hear people are getting more for them. When you sell, do you usually keep the earbuds (mine are used) and lightning cable?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
To bad it's not true overall. Too bad you believe that BS. What you buy through your computer is not indicative of how you spend your money elsewhere. If you truly believe that then you're in the right place. Believe everything you read on the Internet.

----------

OK, well, Mac users spend more money on hotels on their computer (it HAS been tracked). Maybe PC users use the phone to book their expensive hotels. I don't know what to tell you. I can only guess that the reason is people that have more expensive computers have more disposable income. It doesn't seem far fetched to me.

Sure, you might find an occasional BMW in the ghetto, but I bet you find them more often if you drive passed the $1 million homes.

Well I've been buying Macs for 17 years and anybody who knows me knows that I do not have disposable income. Absolutely ridiculous. I know many people that use Macs do not have disposable income. Shameful that even believe that to be true for everybody.

So are you a Mac user? If so do you have disposable income?

----------

Generally, yes, it is a fair assumption that if someone is willing to pick the more expensive product, that's because they have the disposable income to do so, which means they'll more likely buy other expensive things too.

It's not a true case for every single individual, but it's common understanding. If thing A does the same thing as thing B but it's cheaper and not as premium, and you choose the more expensive premium item, then you are most likely going to be more willing to buy more expensive things.

If you buy a BMW over a Toyota, it's because you want that luxury and that added bump. If you just need a car and you need it now, you're going for whatever is the cheapest you can get (that's still feasible), and the same can be said for computers (or anything really)

LOL. Reading these posts here just make me laugh. Absolutely laughable. Some people spend a lot of money on certain things and those same people are frugal with other things. Some people do save their money. There's a thought. Have you ever thought about that?

So I see you have a Mac? So do you have disposable income?

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
To bad it's not true overall. Too bad you believe that BS. What you buy through your computer is not indicative of how you spend your money elsewhere. If you truly believe that then you're in the right place. Believe everything you read on the Internet.

----------

Well I've been buying Macs for 17 years and anybody who knows me knows that I do not have disposable income. Absolutely ridiculous. I know many people that use Macs do not have disposable income. Shameful that even believe that to be true for everybody.

So are you a Mac user? If so do you have disposable income?

----------

LOL. Reading these posts here just make me laugh. Absolutely laughable. Some people spend a lot of money on certain things and those same people are frugal with other things. Some people do save their money. There's a thought. Have you ever thought about that?

So I see you have a Mac? So do you have disposable income?

You are not understanding statistics. The average Mac owner spends more on hotels on their website than the average PC user. That's why they did it. You can be poor and buy a Mac and you can be rich and buy a PC but that doesn't change the math. The math says Mac spends more than PC on average.

And yes, most people on this website have some disposable income (you might want to look up what that means). I spent some of that disposable income on iPhones, a Mac Mini, Apple TV and a MacBook Pro. None of these were necessities.

Sorry quoted wrong post.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
And yes, most people on this website have some disposable income (you might want to look up what that means). I spent some of that disposable income on iPhones, a Mac Mini, Apple TV and a MacBook Pro. None of these were necessities.

This is just a discussion here. You don't need to be rude telling me to look up meanings. I don't care for your tone. And for you to say MOST people here have disposable income is just your own opinion. You have no clue what anyone's finances here are about so don't just say nonsensical things.

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014
Everything is tracked these days.

I remember reading about online stores showing expensive items (versus cheaper versions) to different people.

Kinda like how Facebook manipulates peoples' timeline posts in order to study behavior changes. They'll show you negative posts from your friends, and study what YOU post versus showing other people positive posts.

We're all being manipulated, and if you think this kind of thing doesn't happen then just keep doing what you're doing. Maybe it doesn't affect you really, and that's fine. It's really only until you KNOW about all of it that you start to think about it deeper.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

this was a news story a while as others have said, interesting read and views!

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY

Unfortunately for you this isn't a rumor its been proven a fact.Obviously if you don't want to actually do your research thats fine,but don't tell me its BS when Ive shown evidence and you'll done is just tell us we're wrong.Is it true today?I don't know was it being done before yes,Orbitz even said they were so please stop with the conjecture!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Unfortunately for you this isn't a rumor its been proven a fact.Obviously if you don't want to actually do your research thats fine,but don't tell me its BS when Ive shown evidence and you'll done is just tell us we're wrong.Is it true today?I don't know was it being done before yes,Orbitz even said they were so please stop with the conjecture!

What I AM SAYING is while that information shows that people on Macs have spent a good amount of money on online shopping, it does not prove that's how people live their lifestyles on the norm. People using PC's may spend big money on cars which is generally not purchased through a computer. It IS BS if you're only going by how people shop through their computers.
I don't recall asking for your input in the first place. :rolleyes:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
This is just a discussion here. You don't need to be rude telling me to look up meanings. I don't care for your tone. And for you to say MOST people here have disposable income is just your own opinion. You have no clue what anyone's finances here are about so don't just say nonsensical things.

To be honest you were rude first, implying that the other person is stupid for believing the article that was linked. In fact you continue to be rude instead of just calmly stating your opinion, instead you are being confrontational and aggressive in this thread.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
To be honest you were rude first, implying that the other person is stupid for believing the article that was linked. In fact you continue to be rude instead of just calmly stating your opinion, instead you are being confrontational and aggressive in this thread.

You didn't look at my first post did you? I was not being rude. In fact I made it clear that the OP was not the one I was questioning. It was the article suggesting that's how Mac users live their lives in terms of spending money.

And you scolding me doesn't make you any better than what you're saying about me.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
You didn't look at my first post did you? I was not being rude. In fact I made it clear that the OP was not the one I was questioning. It was the article suggesting that's how Mac users live their lives in terms of spending money.

And you scolding me doesn't make you any better than what you're saying about me.

I'm talking about this:

If you have an argument to make, make it rather than calling other people idiots for having a different opinion. And no, calling out rudeness is not equivalent to rudeness. :rolleyes:

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
You don't need to be rude telling me to look up meanings. ... And for you to say MOST people here have disposable income is just your own opinion. You have no clue what anyone's finances here are about so don't just say nonsensical things.

If you had looked up the definition of "disposable income", you would have seen that the statement that most people have disposable income is NOT just an opinion. "Disposable income" is a synonym for "take home pay". It's your personal income minus your tax expenditure. Everybody who has income has disposable income.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011

I think you are taking this much too personally. And you still don't know what disposable income is. Unfortunate for you. You could have learned something.

Looks like this thread is done. Thanks for the info and help for those who did so.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
If I can sell it for more, then I will. I figured I might as well get a lock on the Gazelle price as insurance. I saw one listed locally on craigslist for $200. I figured when I finally get the phone (still have over a week to wait) I'll list it for $300 on craigslist. If there are no offers over $200, I'll ship it to Gazelle as $15 isn't worth the hassle of meeting with people and having them potentially try to offer an even lower pice.

I'll do the same with my 32GB 5S, but it's not supposed to ship until the 10th.

Glad to hear people are getting more for them. When you sell, do you usually keep the earbuds (mine are used) and lightning cable?

Keep the earbuds but you'll need to include the charger most likely. That's the way it seems to go around my area.

Good luck with the selling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.