Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Apple has apparently decided the A5 chip in the iPad mini is good enough to live for another year! No updates to the iPod touch line either at this time.

My guess is that the mini will be discontinued next year... But receive it's final update to iOS 9. Its possible, but unlikely, that it could last to iOS X.

My guess is that the iPhone 4S and iPod touch will also get the IOS 9 treatment - especially since so many 4S devices are in use and the iPod touch is still for sale. It's likely we won't see any updates to the touch line until next year (or sometime before Christmas this year) with the same internals as the 5/5C. Maybe.

If not, a new touch will come out next year with iOS 9. OR this touch will get iOS 9 and it will be the end of an era.

OR the touch shrinks and merges with the nano to have a super portable media device with IOS.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I bet it will see iOS 9. It will be just the basics though.

iOS 8 is fine on the A5. There are very, very few apps that won't run on it, and lots of stuff gets updates to address the A5 issues.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I'm hoping 8.1 gives us a speed boost and frees up some ram. We'll see I guess.

But gosh it seems like an awful lot of updating lately. I just finished plopping Yosemite onto my MBA. I'm starting to wish they would push updates tonly every 1.5 to 2 years instead. And focus on optimization for a while too. I'm featured out. Well except I still need global graphic sound EQ. And retina MBA. Then they can relax. lol

User*09

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2013
Apple has apparently decided the A5 chip in the iPad mini is good enough to live for another year! No updates to the iPod touch line either at this time.

My guess is that the mini will be discontinued next year... But receive it's final update to iOS 9. Its possible, but unlikely, that it could last to iOS X.

My guess is that the iPhone 4S and iPod touch will also get the IOS 9 treatment - especially since so many 4S devices are in use and the iPod touch is still for sale. It's likely we won't see any updates to the touch line until next year (or sometime before Christmas this year) with the same internals as the 5/5C. Maybe.

If not, a new touch will come out next year with iOS 9. OR this touch will get iOS 9 and it will be the end of an era.

OR the touch shrinks and merges with the nano to have a super portable media device with IOS.

After the Keynote I was thinking that Apple had/has gotten the most out of the A5 and 512 MB of RAM. I do not think that they have pushed the A6, A7 or A8 as much as they have pushed the A5.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any competitor that has come out with a device(s) close to or similar to the specs of that chip (A5 2011) that can run the most current OS in 2014.

At the end of the day you have to give credit to Apple for optimizing iOS to run on the A5. Also, this means that the drop in price for the 1st gen Mini and Mini 2 will allow more Apple tablets to be in peoples hands who have a tight budget, or who have money to burn for the most current tablet.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I bet it will see iOS 9. It will be just the basics though.

iOS 8 is fine on the A5. There are very, very few apps that won't run on it, and lots of stuff gets updates to address the A5 issues.

No, it's barely usable...iOS8 is not even that great on my iPhone 5.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
That's been my experiences as well. But somewhere there exists magical A5 devices that run iOS8 just fine. I'm not claiming that they don't exist, only that I'd like one. :)

I am currently in possession of these magical A5 devices that gives me minimal lag and 5+ hours with 3G use (4S) and 15 hours screen time on a 3-day charge (mini). Granted, I did have Apple replace my battery a year ago before my Applecare went away.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
That's been my experiences as well. But somewhere there exists magical A5 devices that run iOS8 just fine. I'm not claiming that they don't exist, only that I'd like one. :)

I also seem to have those magical devices! My iPhone 5C seems to have 0 issues and in fact, seems smoother with 8.1 then it did with 7.1.2. Same goes for the iPad mini!

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I also seem to have those magical devices! My iPhone 5C seems to have 0 issues and in fact, seems smoother with 8.1 then it did with 7.1.2. Same goes for the iPad mini!

iPhone 5C has an A6 Chip not an A5.

I have the classic non retina mini and since iOS 8 it is kind of slow.
Still good for reading and using as a textbook in college but web browsing isn’t fun anymore.
Wish I could go back to iOS 7 on it...

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

Its good to be optimistic but I dont think Mini will get an Ios 9. Its already so laggy on Ios 8, web browsing is terrible. Thats why i just sold my Ipad 2 for mini 2 retina.

Mini should be discontinue next year after the stock has run out. Ipod touch might not even get an update ever but maybe apple want to make sure they finish the stock on mini at cheaper price first then roll out new Ipod touch early 2015 with at least an A6 and bigger screen at 200 usd. Because if its at 249 or 299, who would want it. Only those who has no internet connection and didn't know that retina mini now is 299 usd.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
iPhone 5C has an A6 Chip not an A5.

Ah, sorry for not using quote threads properly - I was referring to one of the posts in which someone mentioned their iPhone 5 seemed sluggish as well.

Its good to be optimistic but I dont think Mini will get an Ios 9. Its already so laggy on Ios 8, web browsing is terrible. Thats why i just sold my Ipad 2 for mini 2 retina.

Honestly with mine -- I put it into DFU mode and did a full restore to iOS 8, and then an in-place upgrade to iOS 8.1

I have not noticed any difference vs. iOS 7 and browsing / surfing, playing games, Facebook Messenger, etc all seem to be just fine!

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Honestly with mine -- I put it into DFU mode and did a full restore to iOS 8, and then an in-place upgrade to iOS 8.1

I have not noticed any difference vs. iOS 7 and browsing / surfing, playing games, Facebook Messenger, etc all seem to be just fine!

Exactly... there is not at all a huge performance difference between iOS 7.1.2 and 8.1. And no difference in battery life either.

Every single issue with iOS upgrades can be resolved with one or more of these actions: reset all settings, delete various iCloud data, delete various apps, or restore.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
When the iPod Touch 5th Gen first came out, wasn't the 4th Gen being sold as a cheaper option? It got discontinued later in the year before iOS 7 was released. I could see this happen again with the iPad Mini being discontinued right before the release of iOS 9.

----------

Exactly... there is not at all a huge performance difference between iOS 7.1.2 and 8.1. And no difference in battery life either.

Every single issue with iOS upgrades can be resolved with one or more of these actions: reset all settings, delete various iCloud data, delete various apps, or restore.

Actually iOS 8.1 fixed huge issues with crashes and 3D game performance on games. Apple seemed to have broke a few engines under iOS 8.0.2 but fixed them in 8.1 (definitely not complaining).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think it may just see it. I think Apple's decision to keep the iPad mini 1st gen around means that the A5 chips will see ios 9.

shoes222

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
If true, the A5 will be the first chip to run 5 versions of iOS (iOS 5 to iOS 9) which is very impressive.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
iOS 8.1 doesn't run all that well on my iPhone 5 (slow, but acceptable).

I'd hate to use it on an A5 processor. iOS9? Dream on.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
iOS 8.1 doesn't run all that well on my iPhone 5 (slow, but acceptable).

I'd hate to use it on an A5 processor. iOS9? Dream on.

It's OK. It's not as horrible as you would think. However my touch is not my main device. It's like number 4 in my hierarchy so I can put up with some jank.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's OK. It's not as horrible as you would think. However my touch is not my main device. It's like number 4 in my hierarchy so I can put up with some jank.

Yeah, same here. I have A5 devices, but because I have a computer and an iPhone that has a A7 chip, I'm not too bothered either. I feel like a lot of people are just so used to the snappiness of today's technology, that just a slight slowdown bothers them. And maybe it's because I've been using computers for the last 23 years that I'm so used to slight lags too.

And it'a only certain things where it's an issue. Like the App Store. But then I have no problem editing something in Pixelmator, or the majority of other apps.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Generally iOS devices see 3 updates so iOS 9 should be the last upgrade it should get.

Mini 1: Preinstalled iOS 6 and upgradable to iOS 7, 8 and 9?
Mini 2: Preinstalled iOS 7 and upgradable to iOS 8, 9 and 10?
Mini 3: Preinstalled iOS 8.1 and upgradable to ...

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Generally iOS devices see 3 updates so iOS 9 should be the last upgrade it should get.

Mini 1: Preinstalled iOS 6 and upgradable to iOS 7, 8 and 9?
Mini 2: Preinstalled iOS 7 and upgradable to iOS 8, 9 and 10?
Mini 3: Preinstalled iOS 8.1 and upgradable to ...

While this is true, Apple may pull a 4th Gen iPod Touch on us and discontinue all A5 devices come April/May (just before iOS 9 debuts at WWDC). You have to remember, even though it shipped with iOS 6, its basically a shrunk-down iPad 2 which shipped with iOS 4. Therefor, the 3 iOS updates per device might be shortened to two on the 1st Gen iPad mini.

I personally believe Apple will kill off all A5 powered devices by WWDC just so the don't have to support them in iOS 9. iOS 8, from what I have seen, is not horrible on the A5 devices (certainly better then 7.0.x on iPhone 4) but iOS 9 will slow it down too much to the point where the devices may not even be usable.

I think they will also kill off all iPods considering the profit margin is so small. Now, there are still going to be those people who want a device smaller then an iPad mini and I think they are working on it. A 5.5 - 5.7" iPad Micro I think is what they are working on. Considering the iPhone 6 Plus (to me at least since it is my daily phone) acts more like an iPad then previous iPhone models, I think scaling down iPad apps for a smaller phablet-sized iPad would be feasible.

The iPad Micro I believe would also kill off the 1st and 2nd Gen Minis since it will probably have the A7 chip and come in around the $250 price point of the 1st Gen Mini. This would be good for consumers, considering that the iPad line is getting yearly refreshes whereas the iPod touch line is getting one ever 2-3 years. The one downside however is it will probably lag behind and use last years SoC (like the 3rd Gen mini did).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.