Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 20, 2003, 01:56 PM   #1
howard
macrumors 68020

dual processor powerbooks?

sorry if this has been brought up already, i couldn't find it though so anyway...

you think with a 17 inch powerbook they could have enough room to put 2 processors in there...what do you think? imagine how much booty that would kick, most pc laptops run at the same speed as desktops, i saw an alienware laptop with that 3ghz hyperthreading processor that just came out. now maybe apple can get their laptop line up closer to their desktop line.
howard is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:02 PM   #2
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Re: dual processor powerbooks?

Quote:
Originally posted by howard
sorry if this has been brought up already, i couldn't find it though so anyway...

you think with a 17 inch powerbook they could have enough room to put 2 processors in there...what do you think? imagine how much booty that would kick, most pc laptops run at the same speed as desktops, i saw an alienware laptop with that 3ghz hyperthreading processor that just came out. now maybe apple can get their laptop line up closer to their desktop line.
Can you say hot hot hot? I mean besides for heat the power on the thing, probably no battery life what-so ever.

Inless Apple creates a super battery, no.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:04 PM   #3
WannabeSQ
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to WannabeSQ
That alienware is hardly a laptop, a better description would be small computer with intetgrated mouse keyboard and monitor. It doesn't even have a battery. It is freakin huge, like 2 inches thick or more, and costs a fortune (though not as much as the 17" PBook)

I think making the 17 a true desktop replacement would make dual processors a necessity. Imagine the bragging rights. I imagine they could put in some code to turn off one CPU for battery saving needs. I wouldn't buy one, but plenty of video editing people would (they are already getting the 17" now)
WannabeSQ is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:19 PM   #4
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
it would get HOT beyond your wildest imagination. Go look at the blowers required for the Xserve, or Powermac. it's an engineering marvel that they can keep 1 G4 cool, let alone two... you'd have to rest your laptop on an icepack just to keep internal components from mellting, and even then your processors would STILL fry.

sorry, the Tibooks are maxed out for now. Maybe the next chip will have a lot less heat, then it might be possible... but then it won't be necessary anway

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:25 PM   #5
Over Achiever
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Over Achiever Send a message via Yahoo to Over Achiever Send a message via Skype™ to Over Achiever
One reason apple made their desktops dual processors is because the desktops are falling way behind on speed. With duals, they can boast higher gigaflops, and not worry about power consumption or heat.

Apple is doing fine in laptops, and they're speeds are quite comparable. Even tho' the 17" is big, and might be able to hold two processors, that would cut the battery life in half. Unless Apple finds a way to have 8-10 hour battery life on the 17" Alubook, Apple isn't going to market a laptop that can only last "up to 2-3 hours". Because that would mean 1-2 hours real life...and many disappointments.

But many are thinking with the release of the IBM chip, that apple will go dual...we'll see.

I doubt it tho...but my next laptop in a couple of years might have dual processors...we'll see in a couple of years.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 08:17 PM   #6
RBMaraman
macrumors 65816

I think when the 970 comes out, we are going to see Apple moving completely away from dual processor systems.

People complain about the prices of dual machines now. We know that the 970 is going to be an expensive chip. I don't think anyone's going to pay $4500 or more for a dual processor 970 desktop.
RBMaraman is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:39 PM   #7
jefhatfield
Retired

Re: Re: dual processor powerbooks?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMacman

Can you say hot hot hot? I mean besides for heat the power on the thing, probably no battery life what-so ever.

growing lithium polymer technology and/or .11 or .09 micron chip fabrication will handle battery problems in the future

as far as heat, macworld magazine's latest review on the 1 ghz tibook seems to think it is cooler

the issue of dual tibooks has come up a lot and it will stop being on these rumor boards when apple does something about it

a smaller, cheaper, lighter powerbook and a sub-$1000 ibook have also been issues until apple came out with those

and on the desktop front, flat panel and/or g4 imacs have been here in endless speculation and rumors before it came out...all at once to our delight

along with the dualie tibooks/albooks, a g4 ibook would also be nice and it seems will eventually have to come out in one way or another
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:46 PM   #8
Wano
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Wano
I saw on Macosrumors.com that there will be a dual processor poewrbook by the second half of the year.
Wano is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 04:12 PM   #9
ryan
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ryan Send a message via MSN to ryan Send a message via Yahoo to ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by Wano
I saw on Macosrumors.com that there will be a dual processor poewrbook by the second half of the year.
They've been saying that for the past two years.
ryan is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 04:16 PM   #10
ryan
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ryan Send a message via MSN to ryan Send a message via Yahoo to ryan
Re: Re: dual processor powerbooks?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMacman

To get around the heat/battery issues Apple could allow only one processor to be active when the machine wasn't plugged in.
ryan is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 04:18 PM   #11
Wano
macrumors 6502

It would be nice if they could put dual processors in.
Wano is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 08:39 PM   #12
jefhatfield
Retired

Re: Re: Re: dual processor powerbooks?

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan

To get around the heat/battery issues Apple could allow only one processor to be active when the machine wasn't plugged in.
since dual processor desktops rarely use the second processor anyway in most uses, shutting off the second processor while on laptop battery is a good workaround

of course, some pcs lower the clock speed of the one processor it is running while on battery
Old Jan 21, 2003, 09:32 PM   #13
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Wano
I saw on Macrumors.com that Elvis used a Quad Processor Powerbook to kill Kennedy just before he was abducted by aliens who reshaped him into a two headed lizard baby.
But then again, whereas Apple is being run by a brilliant marketer with the uncanny ability to bend people to his will, Gateway is being run by a man perfectly willing to go on television and show the world that he solicits business advice from a talking cow...
Nipsy is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:44 PM   #14
janey
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally posted by Nipsy

I saw on Macrumors.com that Elvis used a Quad Processor Powerbook to kill Kennedy just before he was abducted by aliens who reshaped him into a two headed lizard baby.
Are you serious? I thought it was Bill Gates and a four headed gorilla.

janey is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:51 PM   #15
GeneR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to GeneR Send a message via Yahoo to GeneR
Hmmm. So much heat from a dual PB= sterilized user?

I'm sure it's pretty dumb, with this all that heat down there resting on my lap in close proximity to certain anatomical features, I'd figure that I would just have to scratch the idea of ever having children if I had one of those things...

GeneR is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:51 PM   #16
Wano
macrumors 6502

hehe!
Wano is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:47 AM   #17
law guy
macrumors 6502a

Unhappy Laptop burns we-wha

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneR
I'm sure it's pretty dumb, with this all that heat down there resting on my lap in close proximity to certain anatomical features, I'd figure that I would just have to scratch the idea of ever having children if I had one of those things...

It has happend - see story "Man Burns ***** with Laptop" below:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28245.html

I originally read this on CNN, but a Google search shows the title of the article, the link is no longer there. Anatomy terms must make them fidgit.
law guy is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:57 AM   #18
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

A dual G4 laptop might be pushing the tolerable heat limits for your body, but buying a dual Pentium laptop and you might as well change your name to Mr. Peter Burns.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:56 PM   #19
GeneR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to GeneR Send a message via Yahoo to GeneR
Wow. I'm squirming already...

Thanks for the, uh, head's up about the laptop situation. I'm sure we're going to hear a lot more about laptop stories like this in the future (hopefully not involving Apple PBs). However, in the meantime, I guess wearing an oven apron while using your laptop wouldn't be such a bad idea. Posterity will LITERALLY thank you for it...

GeneR is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 07:59 PM   #20
jefhatfield
Retired

Re: Laptop burns we-wha

Quote:
Originally posted by law guy

It has happend - see story "Man Burns ***** with Laptop" below:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28245.html

I originally read this on CNN, but a Google search shows the title of the article, the link is no longer there. Anatomy terms must make them fidgit.
the peanut is a very sensitive area of the middle east, and if it is subjected to a superhot tibook, one must withdraw the saugage appendage from the hot laptop...or vice versa

...it is only common sense

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers