Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KIERONOO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Just interesting to get a feel of who is waiting until next week when the tear downs happen to see if there is 2GB of RAM in the Air 2. I personally am waiting as 2GB would make a huge difference for me.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
How long does it take for those teardown/test sites to post it?

sinar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
I'm waiting to see if it has 2GB, though it is quite tempting to order now

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
So this is where i'm conflicted.

I want an iPad mini, i was looking at the refurbished mini 2 and they're very appealing prices - alas they're out of stock.

The 32GB is £279 and i wanted to get AppleCare. The reason i'm conflicted is this, i want an iPad for reading, casual browsing and maybe some Netflix and YouTube media consumption, but mainly for reading and such. I've got an iPhone 5, rMBP 2012 so i'm most definitely invested into their ecosystem.

Shall i go ahead and get the mini 2, or wait for the teardown of the mini 3 and see if it has improved RAM for example? I bet that's wishful thinking considering there's absolutely no spec bump, also i'm not willing to pay £100 more for TouchID.

Thanks guys.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Definitely waiting.

It's really tempting to pull the trigger now, but if it's still 1gb I'm happy to stick with my rMini. REALLY want it to be 2gb because, whilst I still like my Mini, it's use case isn't as big since getting the 6 Plus so I'd like to replace it with a full size again.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Just ordered but it's going back if it doesn't have 2GB. My two wishes for a purchase were 2GB and an improved screen.

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Just ordered but it's going back if it doesn't have 2GB. My two wishes for a purchase were 2GB and an improved screen.

Was thinking of just ordering my Retina iPad mini but then returning it within 14 days if i find the mini 3 has the RAM spec bump lol. Is that a good idea, also is the screen that bad on it, or only bad if directly compared with the Air?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Was thinking of just ordering my Retina iPad mini but then returning it within 14 days if i find the mini 3 has the RAM spec bump lol. Is that a good idea, also is the screen that bad on it, or only bad if directly compared with the Air?

The likelihood is virtually nil that they're suddenly knocking out new, modified A7's with more RAM for an iPad they discussed for 30 seconds. Save yourself the hassle and don't bother.

The rMini screen is fine, great even, unless comparing it directly with an Air or 6/6 Plus when the colours clearly aren't as vibrant. Can't speak for the Mini 3 of course, I'm assuming it's the same.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
why not just pre-order and return if it doesn't have 2GB of RAM? If the rumors about constrained supplies are true, you risk having to wait even longer.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Personally, I'm in no mad rush. Don't want to order, find it's 1gb, then be tempted to keep it regardless as it'll still be, nonetheless, a great device. I'd regret this decision later.

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
The likelihood is virtually nil that they're suddenly knocking out new, modified A7's with more RAM for an iPad they discussed for 30 seconds. Save yourself the hassle and don't bother.

The rMini screen is fine, great even, unless comparing it directly with an Air or 6/6 Plus when the colours clearly aren't as vibrant. Can't speak for the Mini 3 of course, I'm assuming it's the same.

As in don't bother waiting and just get the mini 2? Apparently the screen on the mini 3 is the same, though i do like that pixel dense display.

I might just pull the trigger on the mini 2, if there's a massive spec bump i'll return it.

iLuis

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Just get the iPad and if doesn't have 2gb return it before 14 days. What happen if the iPad comes with 2gb and is not in stock...

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
As in don't bother waiting and just get the mini 2? Apparently the screen on the mini 3 is the same, though i do like that pixel dense display.

I might just pull the trigger on the mini 2, if there's a massive spec bump i'll return it.

Oh right, gotcha, I thought you were referring to buying the mini 3 and returning it, I misunderstood.

All depends on how much you want Touch ID really, assuming the screens are the same. The og rMini is still an excellent device regardless. Still love mine, the only issue being lack of ram and there isn't really enough differentiation between it and my 6 Plus. Not enough for me to bother carrying it with me all the time like I used too that is, still use it a lot around the house and on long trips.

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Oh right, gotcha, I thought you were referring to buying the mini 3 and returning it, I misunderstood.

All depends on how much you want Touch ID really, assuming the screens are the same. The og rMini is still an excellent device regardless. Still love mine, the only issue being lack of ram and there isn't really enough differentiation between it and my 6 Plus. Not enough for me to bother carrying it with me all the time like I used too that is, still use it a lot around the house and on long trips.

Yeah i'm not fussed about RAM much anymore (mainly because i know the mini 3 will still have 1 GB sadly), i can get this for cheaper and then maybe sell it on if they do release a new spec bumped mini 2. I just wanted it for Kindle books reading, emails and browsing in addition streaming stuff.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yep, waiting for 2GB. Ditching the Retina Mini because I have an iPhone 6 Plus.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Yes. Although now I'm also thinking...what if next year's iPad has a Retina HD screen and this is the last one in the current resolution - is it worth waiting a year?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I Trust Apple

Apple has a decades long tradition of using the bare minimum amount of ram, so as to maximize their profits. That's why they program buyers to avoid looking closely at specs. Exception being if Apple wants to brag about a feature, then their legendary hypocrisy kicks in and they loudly trumpet whatever it is that they want to brag about.

I don't always agree with them, but I trust them and their consistent practices. As long as they are fat and happy with the largest possible margins they can charge, we know what we are getting. Apple is very clever and knows exactly what they can get away with.

No reason to wait, it's out of your hands.

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB
Yes. Although now I'm also thinking...what if next year's iPad has a Retina HD screen and this is the last one in the current resolution - is it worth waiting a year?

No. You would want to wait one more year after the resolution upgrade when the processor finally can really handle the number of pixels. iPad 3 as an example, it became a dog pretty fast.

Woo-hoo-1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
I've got an ipad 2. And if the ipad Air 2 doesn't have 2gb RAM, I'm going to continue to hold out. As soon as that spec is confirmed, I'll order. But not until it's 100% official. 'Leaked' images are not enough evidence for me. I want proof, then I'll order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.