Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm seeing two dates Thursday and Fri so which is it? Also do you guys think they'll be in short supply like the iPhone 6 plus?

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
I'm seeing two dates Thursday and Fri so which is it? Also do you guys think they'll be in short supply like the iPhone 6 plus?

They didn't give a specific in store date at the event.

I would be surprised if the iPad's are anywhere near in short supply as the iPhone 6 was and they really haven't been that hard to get over the past few years. I just went to Apple.com (2 hours and 40 minutes since they started selling the iPad Air 2) and (in the US at least) the shipping time is still 2 to 4 days for all the Wi-Fi only models and the WiFi+Cellular models ship in 2 to 4 days except for the 64GB and 128GB Space Gray WiFi+Cellular which ships in 4 to 6 days.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
They didn't give a specific in store date at the event.

I would be surprised if the iPad's are anywhere near in short supply as the iPhone 6 was and they really haven't been that hard to get over the past few years. I just went to Apple.com (2 hours and 40 minutes since they started selling the iPad Air 2) and (in the US at least) the shipping time is still 2 to 4 days for all the Wi-Fi only models and the WiFi+Cellular models ship in 2 to 4 days except for the 64GB and 128GB Space Gray WiFi+Cellular which ships in 4 to 6 days.

I wonder why no release date for in-store, kind of dumb.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Agreed. There is no reason why they haven't announced an official Launch Day for them. I personally would rather buy in store rather than wait until 6PM or later when UPS decides to deliver my package.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Agreed. There is no reason why they haven't announced an official Launch Day for them. I personally would rather buy in store rather than wait until 6PM or later when UPS decides to deliver my package.

Remember that one year, when Apple released the iPads in store at 5PM local time? I think it was the iPad 2 model.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I wonder why no release date for in-store, kind of dumb.

they also didn't announce what time of day the pre-orders would begin, leading a bunch of people (myself included) to stay up til 3am EST for nothing. then the store went down for the longest I've see it go down...several hours.

not sure what's going on with Apple this time around.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
They are just using old and tired tricks to create anticipation and speculation and interest.

And we are falling for it, line, hook and sinker.

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
They are just using old and tired tricks to create anticipation and speculation and interest.

And we are falling for it, line, hook and sinker.

I actually think its the opposite. I think apple is getting out of the "long lines" game due to the potential for negative press associated with all these units, iPhones in particular, being purchased on launch day and shipped off to China and sold on the black/grey market.

You come to New York on iPhone launch day, you look at the lines, it's very clear there's something going on. People that truly want a device on launch day will preorder.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I guess everybody is too lazy to call an Apple store?

(i know I am). :eek:

For all I know they probably have them now.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I actually think its the opposite. I think apple is getting out of the "long lines" game due to the potential for negative press associated with all these units, iPhones in particular, being purchased on launch day and shipped off to China and sold on the black/grey market.
I think that is exactly what is going on. Lines were fun for a time when it was just fans in line and a minimal amount of scalpers. Now its just gotten out of hand with the scalping. If anyone should kill the Apple lines it should be Apple. No one can try to gage lack of interest based on lines because no one is in line anymore. Its been known for several days now that thursday is the day of release in stores.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
When is new iPad available in stores Friday?

I pre-ordered on Friday but went to my local Apple Store on Friday for something else and asked when they would get the Air 2 cases in. The chap said on launch day. I asked when in-store launch day was. He paused and said "that's a very good point, we haven't actually been told."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.