Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With yesterday's launch of OS X Yosemite, Apple's iCloud Drive file storage system is now functional across the company's products. Many users were frustrated following the launch of iOS 8 last month by the incompatibility between the new iCloud Drive system used with that operating system and the previous Documents in the Cloud system used on OS X Mavericks. The difference in launch dates between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite temporarily left some users unable to sync their documents between devices if they elected to upgrade to iCloud Drive on their iOS devices.

That issue is now fixed with OS X Yosemite launching to the public, and Craig Federighi gave a very brief walkthrough of the feature at yesterday's media event, outlining how Mac and iOS apps can automatically generate their own folders for file storage accessible across devices and platforms.

icloud_drive_yosemite_finder.jpg
iCloud Drive can also be used in a similar manner to Dropbox, Box, and other cloud storage services in that any type of file can simply be dragged and dropped into the iCloud Drive folder on Mac or iCloud.com and be synced across devices. Access is a bit more limited on iOS where there is no iCloud Drive app allowing access to all files, but the service still allows users of iCloud Drive-enabled apps to view and save files related to that app that are stored and synced with iCloud Drive.

Apple's iWork updates yesterday extend compatibility beyond the core OS X and iOS apps, and APIs are available to allow third-party developers to offer iCloud Drive support for their apps.

iCloud Drive taps into users' general iCloud storage allotments, with all users receiving 5 GB of space free of charge. But with iOS device backups and the upcoming iCloud Photo Library potentially requiring significant amounts of space, many users will find themselves looking to upgrade to paid storage tiers, which begin at $0.99 per month for 20 GB of space and go up to $19.99 per month for 1 TB.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Launch Brings Fully Functional iCloud Drive to Mac and iOS

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
I don't understand why you can't access your iCloud Drive on iOS without going through an app.

Last edited:

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I'm really hoping that the new family sharing will allow my desktop photo app - whatever thats going to be called - to pull in photos from family members automatically.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I've just installed Yosemite and I can't access iCloud Drive from Finder. I've tried clicking the icon but it doesn't respond. :confused:

It does if you right click and say open in new tab. I still don't know what its doing though. Does it populate itself or must I migrate everything I own from iCloud into it. Damn idiot proof isn't it :D

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"Access is a bit more limited on iOS where there is no iCloud Drive app allowing access to all files, but the service still allows users of iCloud Drive-enabled apps to view and save files related to that app that are stored and synced with iCloud Drive."

Unfortunate. I was very excited to finally see a good effort in the cloud. Now I am deflated again.

EDIT: apparently third party apps that are made to access the cloud drive can universally open any file type. Very nice.

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Still doesn't work for me and I installed Yosemite last night. No response when I click on the icon.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I was very disappointed to find out there is no way to share a link to a file in your iCloud Drive. I frequently use that Dropbox feature to share large files with people. Was looking forward to being able to divert all my funds into a big iCloud storage plan and cutting out Dropbox - but it looks like I can't do that. Big shortcoming of iCloud Drive IMO.

Yes, I'm aware of the new "Mail Drop" feature. However, that pigeonholes you into using the Apple Mail app, which is less than desirable. Also, it forces you to email, as opposed to being able to paste a link anywhere you'd like.

Lastly, yes, I'm aware of the potential security issues by having files on the open internet. This is a nonissue simply by adding a "Public" subfolder in iCloud Drive (like Dropbox).

Hoping to see this feature added in the future, but not holding my breath.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I've just installed Yosemite and I can't access iCloud Drive from Finder. I've tried clicking the icon but it doesn't respond. :confused:

Go into System Prefs --> iCloud and make sure "iCloud Drive" is turned on.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Access is a bit more limited on iOS where there is no iCloud Drive app allowing access to all files, but the service still allows users of iCloud Drive-enabled apps to view and save files related to that app that are stored and synced with iCloud Drive.

but note that you can access ALL of icloud drive from other apps that can work with files of any type. for example, if you open DropBox, hit the "+" to add a new file, you will be presented w/ a file chooser and can pick "iCloud Drice" and from there browse thru all the files just as you were on your mac or icloud.com.

so really access depends on the app and what it wants to do.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I've been an Apple user since the 1980s, and this isn't to be snide, but I would never trust iCloud drive to store anything important. Apple shutters their services frequently. I can still access my freeservers.com and tripod data from the 1990s. But Apple has gone through iTools, .Mac, MobileMe, and now two iterations of storage for iCloud. I just don't trust it, and iDisk never worked reliably or quickly compared to Dropbox or Google Drive. iDisk would often crash the Finder. They do some things very well, but Internet services is not one of them (excluding the iTunes Store, which has been reliable for me).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I don't understand why you can't access your iCloud Drive on iOS without going through an app.

everything on iOS is app driven. even the Phone is an app. should Apple release an iCloud Drive app? probably. but it would still be an app.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I was very disappointed to find out there is no way to share a link to a file in your iCloud Drive. I frequently use that Dropbox feature to share large files with people. Was looking forward to being able to divert all my funds into a big iCloud storage plan and cutting out Dropbox - but it looks like I can't do that. Big shortcoming of iCloud Drive IMO.

Yes, I'm aware of the new "Mail Drop" feature. However, that pigeonholes you into using the Apple Mail app, which is less than desirable. Also, it forces you to email, as opposed to being able to paste a link anywhere you'd like.

You hit the nail on the head for the biggest reason I can't switch away from Dropbox -- lack of a shareable URL feature. I use Mailplane in concert with Gmail and I have no desire to switch to Mail.app.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Wait was this article posted just to celebrate that something is actually functioning in these new updates?

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
"Brings Fully Functional iCloud Drive to Mac and iOS"

Ya I totally disagree. Without an app for iOS this statement is false.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
"Access is a bit more limited on iOS where there is no iCloud Drive app allowing access to all files, but the service still allows users of iCloud Drive-enabled apps to view and save files related to that app that are stored and synced with iCloud Drive."

Unfortunate. I was very excited to finally see a good effort in the cloud. Now I am deflated again.

why? you still have access to all of your iCloud Drive files from iOS, you just access them from inside an app. apps like DropBox or Transmit, which work w/ any file type, can browse all of your iCloud Drive files absolutely perfectly.

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

Lastly, yes, I'm aware of the potential security issues by having files on the open internet. This is a nonissue simply by adding a "Public" subfolder in iCloud Drive (like Dropbox).

Hoping to see this feature added in the future, but not holding my breath.

Dropbox is still winning!

WRX-SRQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Tallahassee
Simple Fix

There is an app called Cloud Drive Explorer. It's free and works like a first party app should, in that it gives you access to your cloud drive, much like Dropbox or Box.

Give it a shot, may solve your issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.