Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanker-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
Ok, is anyone else who upgraded to Yosemite yesterday having a problem with their Magic Mouse? Firstly, my Bluetooth option on the top right is greyed out with a squiggly line through it. When I click on the symbol it says Bluetooth unavailable. Secondly, my mouse is acting like a regular USB mouse, not a magic mouse. Scroll is dead and the system preference for it has a very rudimentary preferences window. Nothing like the Maverick options where it shows a video of a hand using the mouse and all of its features. I tried deleting the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist, but that didn't work. I reset the PRAM, that didn't work....any ideas???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 1.37.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 1.37.01 PM.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 17,098
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 1.37.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 1.37.18 PM.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,029
Reactions: Bambi Original

Freddio

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Installed Yosemite today. Magic Mouse instantly broken.:mad: It does connect sometimes, but the tracking is sluggish and gestures dont' work at all. Worked fine in Mavericks. Batteries @80%.

Re-pairing does NOT work for me.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Well, I just installed Yosemite on my MBA. I mention it here because I use a Magic Mouse with the MBA, and it's working perfectly. Bluetooth shows up fine as does the Mouse Control Panel.

I use a Microsoft Laser Mouse 8000 with my Mac Pro, and on boot the Mac sometimes forgets the pairing, and I need to re-pair. I have had this intermitent issue since PB1 and have reported it to Apple. I never had the issue with Mavericks.

Lou

Bulldogmechanic

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I had the same problem with the Bluetooth being unavaible after the update to Yosemite. What worked for me was to disconnect all USB cables and reboot, Bluetooth then was available.

bluetoothless

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
can't connect apple wireless keyboard after upgrading to yosemite

thanks to everyone for asking these questions. yosemite will not "discover" my apple wireless keyboard. i haven't seen an answer yet. is it simply a yosemite bug and we have to wait for an updated version? or is there a solution?

ps: regarding the post above, i don't have any usb cables to disconnect, but I do have a usb plug-in for my Logitech trackball. would removing that affect anything (hasn't so far, but i haven't rebooted. and does rebooting mean restarting, or does it mean redownloading Yosemite?)

pps: my Logitech trackball has no problem working on Yosemite.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^That USB "plug-in" as you describe it is a USB dongle, and apparently your system has chosen it as your BT source. Apple has a utility called Bluetooth Explorer, which I talk about here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1733267/

The Mac can only choose and use one BT source, and it seems to have chosen the dongle. Remove it and restart. It should revert to the Mac's internal BT, and your trackball should work as well.

Lou

tvguy

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Remove the mouse from the BT device list and then re-pair it again.

I removed the mouse from the list and now it will not find it again. The mouse control panel just keep searching. The mouse is flashing two quick green flashes but never connects... Is there a reset sequence for the magic mouse???

UPDATE:I took the batteries out of the mouse. Then I reinstalled the batteries and turn the mouse on while holding the mouse button down. As I waited and watched the control panel the continue button would highlight. No mouse would be found but the continue button lit up. I clicked continue and it connected to my mouse. Go Figure...

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I removed the mouse from the list and now it will not find it again. The mouse control panel just keep searching. The mouse is flashing two quick green flashes but never connects... Is there a reset sequence for the magic mouse???

UPDATE:I took the batteries out of the mouse. Then I reinstalled the batteries and turn the mouse on while holding the mouse button down. As I waited and watched the control panel the continue button would highlight. No mouse would be found but the continue button lit up. I clicked continue and it connected to my mouse. Go Figure...

Check the bluetooth preference, not the mouse control panel.

tvguy

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I already fixed the problem. You have to see the mouse in the mouse CP as well as the BT panel. Originally the BT CP was giving me the issue...

bluetoothless

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
thanks, lou.

thanks, lou.

^^^^That USB "plug-in" as you describe it is a USB dongle, and apparently your system has chosen it as your BT source. Apple has a utility called Bluetooth Explorer, which I talk about here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1733267/

The Mac can only choose and use one BT source, and it seems to have chosen the dongle. Remove it and restart. It should revert to the Mac's internal BT, and your trackball should work as well.

Lou

recursor

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2014
yosemite will not "discover" my apple wireless keyboard. i haven't seen an answer yet. is it simply a yosemite bug and we have to wait for an updated version? or is there a solution?

I have just encountered the same problem with an original version (a1255) Apple bluetooth keyboard. After changing the batteries, the keyboard started going nuts (keys repeating, some keys not working) so I removed it from the bluetooth preferences. Now I can't re-add it. It is discovered but you can't connect. Why? If you look at the console, you will see the following logged:

Code:
10/20/14 10:05:24.130 AM System Preferences[955]: Failed to connect (mPasskeyDisplay) outlet from (IOBluetoothDevicePairViewController) to (IOBluetoothPasskeyDisplay): missing setter or instance variable

OSX is failing to display the passkey field where you have to enter a code on the keyboard to get it to authenticate with the Mac. Nice one Apple!

Who knows if/when this will get fixed. Not sure if this is just the a1255 revision that is a problem or if its a problem with the later revision too. I was just about to leave to get a new keyboard at the Apple Store.

After spending like another 30m checking to see if there is a broad Bluetooth discovery and connectivity issue with 10.10 (appears that there is), I tried to pair my keyboard yet again while also displaying the console. This time I was presented with the prompt to enter a pass key. Console reports each key entered when this happens. Finally, I'm connected again and don't need to spend $70 on a new keyboard (that will likely have the same problem).

Unfortunately, I can't report a consistent fix. I seriously just spend about 2hrs looking into this. Toggling bluetooth, rebooting, taking the batteries out of the keyboard and waiting for 5-10m to pass, then trying again. WTF, right?

Last edited:

Freddio

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Sledge Hammer Approach:

I rebooted to :apple: util menu, ran disk util, fixed all errors, then selected option to re-install :apple: OSX. Took a while, but then then the mouse worked as well as it does with Mavericks.

tadekp

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Magic Mouse connection unstable

Hello,
After clean (HD format) installation of Yosemite the magic mouse is not working stable.
After standby sometimes the connection is lost but also during work. It is then not possible to get connection again. I have first to clear the mouse from the menu and search it again. No USB devices connected. WiFi in use. Hope for quick fix.

Mac Book Pro 2012

tadekp

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Possible solution

I have strong doubts that my problems with the Bluetooth magic mouse were caused by the weather station using also 2,4Ghz (same as Bluetooth) for communication. After I moved it out of the room the mouse was working properly the whole day. When I moved it back 5 minutes later after standby the mouse was not more detected by Mac (PRAM reset helped). Interesting for me is why this problems are more visible in OS 10.10 as in 10.9, at least in my case.

3days later:
In the last 3 days the mouse lost connection few times. The hint with disturbances was unfortunately not the final solution. It is better but not good enough. Still waiting for Apple solution.

Last edited:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I had connection problems with my mouse, trackpad and keyboard with my 15" rMBP

I did everything, with batteries, on/off, restarts, etc.
It was hit and miss with one connecting and then dropping, another connecting

I found this on another Forum and ran it in terminal

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

No idea what it does or doesn't do, but after running it I was able to connect
And everything has worked since

Reactions: idleline

ulfjoh

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Apple please fix this bug!

It ONLY works for me if I reboot the machine... then everything works fine again.

submate

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Hi,

I have a Late 2012 Mac mini.
Installed OS X 10.10 Yosemite on it, magic mouse and bluetooth keyboard stopped working with system.
I also did everything but it only works if I unplug every usb device from the machine.
Unfortunately it only works for some minutes after that the mouse disconnects.
if you plug in any usb device bluetooth devices will stop working.

This is working for me:

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

Thanks for the fix!

fred83

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
OS 10 Yosemite and magic mouse

Yes, same problem, upgraded to Yosemite a few days ago having a problem with their Magic Mouse.

Still waiting for a fix,works if you plug into power outlet.

Ekkomouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Fixed mouse issue

I too had the same problem, removed the usb connections, restarted and the magic mouse works now.

sahil.palvia

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Cannot connect to the magic mouse once it is disconnected

I am having issues with my 2012 MBP, I am able to connect to my Magic Mouse for some amount of time. Once it disconnects I am not able to connect to/find it until I do a restart. I have tried almost all the solutions mentioned out here, but they dint help my situation. If any one could help me with this issue that would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.