Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macmini1-250x254.jpg
After going more than two years without an update, Apple's Mac mini was refreshed yesterday, adding Haswell processors, Intel HD 5000/Iris graphics, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and PCI-based flash storage options for the higher-end models.

Unfortunately, the upgrade was disappointing to some Mac mini fans as Apple stopped offering a build-to-order quad-core processor upgrade and dual-drive storage options that exceed 1TB.

Many have speculated that the Mac mini also includes soldered RAM, which has now been confirmed by Macminicolo's Brian Stucki. According to Stucki, the RAM in the Mac mini is "not user accessible," which means those who purchase Mac minis are limited to 16GB of RAM that must be upgraded when purchasing the machine from Apple.

All three Mac mini models can be upgraded to a maximum of 16GB of RAM, with the upgrade priced at $300 for the base model and $200 for the mid and high-end models.

While the RAM is not upgradeable, Stucki says that it is possible to replace or upgrade the hard drive, but doing so may void the warranty.

Apple's new Mac mini starts at $499 and comes in three separate base configurations. On the low end, the Mac mini ships with a 1.4Ghz dual-core Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and Intel HD Graphics 5000. At the middle tier, the Mac mini comes with a 2.6Ghz dual-core Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB hard drive, and Intel Iris Graphics. At the high end, the Mac mini ships with a 2.8Ghz dual-core Core i5, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB Fusion Drive, and Intel Iris Graphics.

Base configurations of the Mac mini are currently available for purchase from the online Apple Store and will ship in one to three days. Custom configurations ship within three to five days.

Article Link: New 2014 Mac Mini Has Soldered RAM, Not User Replaceable

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
If it's because normal RAM takes too much space because of its connectors, why not create a new one, just like they did at the beginning for the SSD drives in Retina MacBooks?
It's becoming annoying to see everything being soldered and not replaceable!

Reactions: scott911

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Dang-it! :mad: First the iMac, now the Mac Mini. Really making it hard for users who buy a machine and stick with it a few years. Or who can afford 4/8GB now and want to upgrade to 8/16GB later. (Although that's good for their business...)

Although this conflicts with an AppleCare chat where they stated the RAM could be replaced. Too bad iFixit didn't crack one open yet.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
i dont think this article is true. this guy is probbaly reading everything i see wich is about half anf half saying it is and it isnt user upgradable

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Shame really this sort of stuff like the soldiering of ram reminds me of Dell Machines.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
That's disappointing but at least the 8 gig option is there off the shelf within a reasonable price range. Which has always been a bit of a bugbear for me in that 8gig Airs for example were not available to purchase from the dealer walk in. At least not here anyway.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Man, I've been waiting for an update on the mac mini but soldered in ram and a slower first tier than last years mini, the second tier (that should have been the first) going for 923.00 us here in mexico takes it off my list.

Renzatic

Suspended
If it's because normal RAM takes too much space because of its connectors, why not create a new one, just like they did at the beginning for the SSD drives in Retina MacBooks?
It's becoming annoying to see everything being soldered and not replaceable!

That'd be a decent excuse if Apple were going for a super thin laptop, but here it's just money gouging. You have to pay them $300 for an $80 upgrade of ram.

Intel NUCs are a helluva lot smaller than the Mini, sport roughly the same hardware (the Mini does have a better integrated GPU), yet have replaceable HDDs and ram. The Mini, on the other hand, is exactly the same size as it was before, and was well known for being easy to upgrade.

There's no excuse for it, other than, quite literally, Apple doesn't want you to.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This isn't too surprising. The Mac mini has always been a notebook in desktop clothing. They have long used soldered RAM in the MacBook line.

And yes, Steve Jobs would have done this. His philosophy was that people shouldn't have to and should not tinker with his creations.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Wow.. that sucks. Soldered RAM is cheaper to produce.. Apple saving a few dollars to inconvenience its customers who would like to max out RAM, and increasing its profits???

The Mac Mini was a very nice machine... before this upgrade..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.