Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Been hearing stories about the animations/scrolling being jerky/laggy due to the transparency. I heard turning off the transparency helps, but that isn't a solution in my mind. Any truth to this?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Yes, my 5,1 (2012) MBA is running fine. I have been using Yosemite on my Mac Pro since PB1 and just installed the final release of 10.10 on my MBA (with a USB Installation disk I created) and all went well. The machine is working great, with both the Trackpad and a Magic Mouse.

Lou

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Everything fine with my Mid 2013 MBA. But since coldjeanzzz doesnt mention which model he/she has its hard to say anything more.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Which animations specifically?

Launchpad/app exposé/Mission Control all perfectly smooth here, either launched by click or gesture on trackpad.

Late 2010 MBA, 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Yosemite is running smooth as silk on my 2014 MBA.

Ya know, I am starting to see Apples strategy with Yosemite and IOS 8. With Continuity, Handoff, and iCloud Drive, the user moves pretty effortlessly from one interface to another.....desktop, laptop, tablet, phone. So, rather than trying to get one device and OS to do everything and be everything for everyone, Apple optimizes the experience for each form factor (e.g Tablets optimized for touch, and Laptops optimize with gestures and trackpads) and then makes the transitions seamless between devices.

Now, I understand that this is not everyones idea of optimization, but I get their strategy. If you are all-in with the Apple ecosystem and devices (which aren't cheap), it is pretty slick.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So far so good on 2011 Air.

Had a bad run with DP2, but that was in the beginning of the summer

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I have a late 2012 MBA with i5, 8 GB RAM

It seems like more people with rMBP are experiencing these lag issues.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yosemite is running smooth as silk on my 2014 MBA.

Ya know, I am starting to see Apples strategy with Yosemite and IOS 8. With Continuity, Handoff, and iCloud Drive, the user moves pretty effortlessly from one interface to another.....desktop, laptop, tablet, phone. So, rather than trying to get one device and OS to do everything and be everything for everyone, Apple optimizes the experience for each form factor (e.g Tablets optimized for touch, and Laptops optimize with gestures and trackpads) and then makes the transitions seamless between devices.

Now, I understand that this is not everyones idea of optimization, but I get their strategy. If you are all-in with the Apple ecosystem and devices (which aren't cheap), it is pretty slick.

Yup. That's what they've strived for for years. And others think they're better trying to be a jack of all trades but master of none.

squeezeman

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Orignal MBA 11" 64 and Early 2014 MBA 13" 256

MBA 11" was upgraded from Snow Leopard. Runs smoother. Battery life seems better than the 3 hours I used to get.

MBA 13" was upgraded from a clean Mavericks install. Runs perfectly.

Last edited:

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
No. It is NOT smooth and stable as Mavericks !!

When moving windows especially the Safari windows and when opining a new folders/pages there are a clear jerk/lag in animations.

For me Mavericks runs a lot better and believe it or not I prefer the look of it a lot more than this new OS made for kids!!

and by the way I have the most expensive late 2013 MBP.

squeezeman

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
No. It is NOT smooth and stable as Mavericks !!

When moving windows especially the Safari windows and when opining a new folders/pages there are a clear jerk/lag in animations.

For me Mavericks runs a lot better and believe it or not I prefer the look of it a lot more than this new OS made for kids!!

and by the way I have the most expensive late 2013 MBP.

That's bizarre. My MBA 11" has 2 GB ram and 64 GB disk and runs buttery smooth using the operations you mentioned. Works the same buttery way on MBA 13".

Maybe a clean install is necessary?

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
That's bizarre. My MBA 11" has 2 GB ram and 64 GB disk and runs buttery smooth using the operations you mentioned. Works the same buttery way on MBA 13".

Maybe a clean install is necessary?

That's what i'm thinking now because in my situation I did a direct upgrade from Mavericks not a clean install. I think I will try a clean install and see what will change. the problem is I have massive files and programs installed and will have to configure them all again with their settings. :(

copa

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2013
for me (2013 13" i7 with 8gb ram) mission control specifically seems to be a bit jaggy. Also switching between desktops is not as smooth as it was under mavericks.

Edit: It's not jaggy all the time but only occasionally. Maybe flux is part of the problem, as it has been acting up in the past as well. Runs smooth for the moment.

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Yosemite is working fantastic on my MBA, now if I could just learn to like those Electric Blue folders, every thing would be just peachy.:eek:

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I have a macbook air 13" 2012 i5/256/8

I'm currently running OSX 10.8.5, since I didn't bother to update to osx mavericks whatsoever. I had nothing against mavericks. I just never got around to it, because I've been busy photo editing and video editing my vids and photos from my travels, and I didn't want the update eating my extra hard drive space.

But I'm considering Yosemite though. should i just go update? i'm not seeing the mavericks update anymore on the app store. i'm just seeing yosemite.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Yosemite is running smooth and fine on my mid 2013 i7 8gb mba... Clean install and no restore...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.