Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how thin this Air 2 is going to be. So apparently looking at the numbers it's going to be another full mm thinner than my iPhone 6+? I don't even see how they're going to fit a headphone jack in there if it's thinner. I know it's supposed to be 3.5mm, but it currently takes up most of the thickness of the phone, and the iPad is going to be thinner and still have it? If they make these things any thinner than this new iPad i don't see how they will be able to include that anymore.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Dell venue 8 7000 is even thinner... so there is still something to take off and show on next year!

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
IPod touch is the same 6.1mm thickness. Was just comparing it to my ipad3 and now I'm thinking maybe I'll go ahead and get the Air 2.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Dell venue 8 7000 is even thinner... so there is still something to take off and show on next year!

Hmm, yep, looks like the Dell beat it by .1mm at 6mm, the slimmest of margins, lol, so Apple couldn't say thinnest this year. I still don't think they will be able to include a headphone jack if these things get any slimmer.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
If I'm right in thinking the Xperia Z2 tablet is 6.4mm, this is even thinner? :eek:

I simply cannot wait.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hmm, yep, looks like the Dell beat it by .1mm at 6mm, the slimmest of margins, lol, so Apple couldn't say thinnest this year. I still don't think they will be able to include a headphone jack if these things get any slimmer.

But they did say the Air 2 was the thinnest tablet. Did someone at Apple marketing goof up?

----------

But they did say the Air 2 was the thinnest tablet. Did someone at Apple marketing goof up?

Ahhh, coming soon. Ok, I guess they technically didn't lie.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/campaigns/laptops-tablets-coming-soon

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014

Oh they did? Well it's true the Dell tablet hasn't been released yet, due out next month sometime. So technically for the next month the iPad will be the thinnest on the market. And only .1mm difference, so who cares, lol.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I suspect this is where things are heading with the headphone jack being replaced by the Lightning connector. They are just preparing for the inevitable day when the device is thinner than the 3.5mm headphone jack. Unfortunately any adapter cable they might provide to go from lightning to 3.5mm is going to be big and expensive a la the 30-pin adapter to accommodate the necessary dac.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Yes, not to be bought yet, but it exists http://www.pcworld.com/article/2604...nnest-venue-8-7000-tablet-with-3d-camera.html

Anyway, im abit worried that they doesnt feel good on your hand anymore when they are slimmer and slimmer. How do edges feel against your hand when you keep it between your fingers (a tablet laying just behind your thumb), and typing by other hand.. how long can you keep it before you need to let your hand to rest...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.