Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I dropped my iPad mini with retina and cracked the display. I have a very rugged case for it, but it fell in just exactly the wrong way and the display hit the edge of a coffee table on the way down.

Online, it says it will cost $249 through Apple to fix the display.

Are they joking?

I know that with the iPhone, if you take the device to an Apple store, they can usually fix the display in-store for a much lower price. Does this hold true for the iPad as well?

I cannot believe they can charge such an unimaginable price to replace a $5 piece of glass. Don't they realize how infuriating this is to their customers? I can't believe they charge the same amount to repair a cracked display that they would charge if I had dropped it in to liquid and destroyed every component. I am an impoverished college student and cannot afford such a high repair price. Have any of you ever done the replacement yourselves?

How easy is it to replace by yourself with parts ordered online?

Thanks!

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I dropped my iPad mini with retina and cracked the display. I have a very rugged case for it, but it fell in just exactly the wrong way and the display hit the edge of a coffee table on the way down.

Online, it says it will cost $249 through Apple to fix the display.

Are they joking?

I know that with the iPhone, if you take the device to an Apple store, they can usually fix the display in-store for a much lower price. Does this hold true for the iPad as well?

I cannot believe they can charge such an unimaginable price to replace a $5 piece of glass. Don't they realize how infuriating this is to their customers? I can't believe they charge the same amount to repair a cracked display that they would charge if I had dropped it in to liquid and destroyed every component. I am an impoverished college student and cannot afford such a high repair price. Have any of you ever done the replacement yourselves?

How easy is it to replace by yourself with parts ordered online?

Thanks!

Apple usually replaces the entire unit because the glass is glued to the casing, and it is not as easy to replace just the glass for customers (at least not with the same quality expectations).

You can order the part yourself, but it is a bit of a task to replace. I would not recommend a DIY job for anyone inexperienced with disassembling iPads. If you have Apple replace your unit for the fee, the new (refurbed) iPad would have a 90 day warranty. Sent from my iPad.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Apple usually replaces the entire unit because the glass is glued to the casing, and it is not as easy to replace just the glass for customers (at least not with the same quality expectations).

You can order the part yourself, but it is a bit of a task to replace. I would not recommend a DIY job for anyone inexperienced with disassembling iPads. If you have Apple replace your unit for the fee, the new (refurbed) iPad would have a 90 day warranty. Sent from my iPad.
A brand new iPad mini with Retina Display (iPad mini "2") is $299. To get it repaired is $249. A Nexus 7 is less than $200 *AND* comes with a better display. I am done with the iPad. I can understand a high initial cost but such a high repair cost is inexcusable to me. Thank you for the information

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
A brand new iPad mini with Retina Display (iPad mini "2") is $299. To get it repaired is $249. A Nexus 7 is less than $200 *AND* comes with a better display. I am done with the iPad. I can understand a high initial cost but such a high repair cost is inexcusable to me. Thank you for the information

wow, yeah i get what you're saying. thats really dumb to pay almost retail for the replacement... although, i would because only an iPad is an iPad... if that makes sense lol. if i was you, i'd get applecare and get a new iPad.

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013

Only downside is when you break the Nexus there is no Nexus Store to get it repaired/swapped :(

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Only downside is when you break the Nexus there is no Nexus Store to get it repaired/swapped :(

Yep, but even the brand new price of a Nexus is better than the repair price of the iPad mini, which is kind of....wow. I can understand a premium price but for a college student like me, $250 to get a $299 tablet repaired isn't gonna happen.

asmith406

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Check out Gadget Menders. They sell a ton of replacement parts and have how to videos if you want to try the repair yourself.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

Good point; I would probably just sell the damaged unit for parts and recoup as much of the cost, or save it for a DIY project if you are feeling adventurous. The new Nexus 9 looks pretty impressive, and a good price point, if you are exploring Android based options. Sent from my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.