Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

houssein31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I bought an iPad A2 (black 64 gb) with AppleCare+. But Im thinking of returning AppleCare+. I bought it for my iP6 because I used it (2 times) with my iP5.

Honestly, I don't think I would drop my tablet. But at the same time, applecare cover battery changes and we just never know what could happen...so I am really thorn..

Do u think I will use it on an iPad Air 2? Did any of you guys bought it (and ever needed it)??

liquorice

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Surrey
I have and still have the ipad 2 which I keep in a case, and have not had a problem.
Have ordered the iPad Air 2 , but will not be getting applecare for it . Having said that I am glad I got applecare for my imac as will be going for my third repair soon :(

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Nobody knows if you would end up using AC+ or not as we can't see into the future. I get AC+ for my iPad and iPhone as I like knowing that I'm covered should something unforeseen happen to either of them. I usually CX it and get a refund for the unused portion of AC+ when I upgrade to the next iPhone or iPad.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I've never bought AppleCare for my iPads. That's mostly because they hardly leave the house. Also if you plan on selling it later if you have AppleCare you can charge more for it (higher resale value).

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
if you square trade an iPad there is no deductible for accidental damage. heh

but you have that coverage ceiling , meaning if an iPad sells for 749 they won't
spend more then 749 in repairs over the warranty period

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I bought apple care for my Air and my rMBP. The rMBP is a more advancede machine so it made sens for that but the Air....ehhhhh....not sure if I would do it again. I'm pretty careful with my stuff and while my iPad does leave the house quite often I'm pretty OCD and anal retentive.

But, apple care is like insurance. You hope to never to use it but if you need it you'll be rather happy that you had it. Or something like that.

Your call.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Obviously, Apple wouldn't sell it if they didn't think they'd make money on it, so statistically you are better off not buying it and banking the $99. But that said, the iPad screens can be delicate, as well, so if you want the peace of mind, go ahead and spend the extra $100. Now that the screen is fused to the glass, any crack can affect the screen as well. It's $250 for an out-of-warranty "repair," which is really just swapping it out for a refurbished unit. Apple then sends the broken one back to the factory for refurbishment.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I bought it but mainly because I bought a Time Capsule a few months ago and this covers it under the agreement. So I feel like I am getting two coverages.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I buy Apple care + for all our IOS devices it doubles your warranty and accidents happen even if your device never leaves home.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Many CC's have free extended warranty protection, doubling the manufacturer's warranty up to one year -- AMEX is the best I think b/c you don't have to register the product for coverage to attach. Many Visa cards require registration, a cute loophole to get the issuer off the hook.

I've used it a couple times on MBPs and was a very easy process. I just had to email Apple's diagnosis and estimate to AMEX and they credited my account. For me this is perfect w/ the iPhone b/c I only keep them two years.

The only area where AppleCare has an advantage is accidental damage (CCs only offer 90 days coverage) and battery replacement not covered by warranty (no coverage). But Apple Care has a deductible for those so when you add the cost of AppleCare plus the deductible it more economical to take the risk unless you are a complete klutz and will be dropping your phone two times in the next 3 years (will you even keep your phone that long)?

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Up to you. AppleCare+ comes in handy and is a good thing to have in my opinion. Not only because of the accidental damage coverage (I've never needed to use this so far), but also because of defects that may occur a year after its original purchase date when your free warranty period is up.

I know this because I had to get a replacement due to a screen malfunction (got very yellow and muddied) a little bit after a year and got a free replacement instead of having to pay the repairs and/or replacement fee.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
My initial pre order included AppleCare+, then after 2nd thoughts, I cancelled the whole order. If I re-order I will pass on Applecare+

Reason is that the AC+ warranty is only 2 years. My Visa Signature Card comes with a free warranty extension to the 2 year mark as well. It will be easier to service through Apple directly, but not worth the $100.

So that leaves the accidential coverage as the sole benefit. With my usage, its just not a concern. I always put a case on it and have NEVER dropped my iPads. I don't use them the same way I use my phone where it makes more sense. Plus with an accidental damage you pay a deductible anyway. Cost benefit did not add up, so I decided to pass.

On the other hand, I do have AppleCare+ for my rMBP & iPhone6. iPhone6 usage is a lot different than my iPad and could be dropped. rMBP goes 3 years and a lot more expensive with no deductibles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.