Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
I have a cellular iPad Air that is currently on my AT&T mobile share plan. I ordered a cellular iPad Air 2 through Apple, but the order process didn't have a way to indicate your carrier choice.
When I get my new iPad will I be able to remove my current iPad from my plan and add the new one all from my home, or will I have to go to an AT&T store?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have a cellular iPad Air that is currently on my AT&T mobile share plan. I ordered a cellular iPad Air 2 through Apple, but the order process didn't have a way to indicate your carrier choice.
When I get my new iPad will I be able to remove my current iPad from my plan and add the new one all from my home, or will I have to go to an AT&T store?
You can simply take the SIM out of your old iPad and put it in the new one. I'd recommend that, since you can save the "Apple SIM" from the Air 2 in case you ever want to use another carrier temporarily (e.g. while traveling).

Normally you can also transfer your plan from one AT&T-SIM to another:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409940&cv=820

But it's not clear yet if and how exactly that will work with the "Apple SIM".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.