Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Would anyone actually get one of these?

Sharp%20Aquos%20Crystal-578-80.jpg

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It looks really cool, though I would've preferred the bezel on top instead of at the bottom. I might get one if the gsm or at&T are available for the same $150 the sprint version is going for.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
That thing is actually cool. With that retro 80's sci-fi look honestly it would fit right into Blade Runner or something. A pity that it doesn't have a super sharp screen or it would have looked like a transdimensional window into an alternate reality... But I could definitely see this thing raising a few eyebrows when you pull it out on the metro. Heh, actually it would look pretty awesome with some totally freaked out scifi custom launcher....maybe this thing could create a cult following on XDA...

Man, the more I look at that video, the more I'm finding myself wanting one! :eek:

And like MKBHD says, kudos to Sharp for having the balls to do something different!

Oh and the non-earpiece speaker tech wtf?? Wouldn't that make you hear extra well in noisy surroundings thanks to the vibrations basically transmitting directly into your ear?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I can't make up my mind if I like it or not. My main concern would be part of my palm often accidentally touching the screen.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
So I just realised this phone is only $150 off contract :eek:

Then checked GSMarena and it's CDMA only and no GSM :( won't work in Europe FML

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Did some more digging, there is a GSM version being sold in Japan and it's available on Ebay for 275 bucks. If someone manages to root it I will go for it without hesitation, gonna be watching the XDA threads like a hawk...

AND here's the Crystal X which has the same design but is more of a flagship specced phone! 5.5" 1080p screen, Snapdragon 801, 2g ram etc... Obviously going to be more expensive though when it's released.

FU, Sharp. I had enough phones to drool over already.

EDIT: feature video, made by Sharp so ***corny alert***

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Cool in theory, but not very practical (especially if it results in the need for a huge chin like that).

Still, credit where it's due.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
So I just realised this phone is only $150 off contract :eek:

Then checked GSMarena and it's CDMA only and no GSM :( won't work in Europe FML

LOL CDMA, we got rid of that 10 years ago... What gets me is how CDMA is even a thing anymore with the way LTE is going. I give it that this is America though and people are still rocking their BlackBerrys.

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
LOL CDMA, we got rid of that 10 years ago... What gets me is how CDMA is even a thing anymore with the way LTE is going. I give it that this is America though and people are still rocking their BlackBerry's.

We got rid of that 7 years ago. Don't know why the US carriers are using inferior tech.

JunBringer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
Soon everything will be over LTE so CDMA should finally die.

I love how this device looks. I'd consider it for sure if it was gsm.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Did some more digging, there is a GSM version being sold in Japan and it's available on Ebay for 275 bucks. If someone manages to root it I will go for it without hesitation, gonna be watching the XDA threads like a hawk...

AND here's the Crystal X which has the same design but is more of a flagship specced phone! 5.5" 1080p screen, Snapdragon 801, 2g ram etc... Obviously going to be more expensive though when it's released.

FU, Sharp. I had enough phones to drool over already.

EDIT: feature video, made by Sharp so ***corny alert***

LOL! You are so right. Corny, cheesy! I had to get some wine to go with my cheese!

AX338

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2013
London
Yes looks great, bezels are ugly, went to see the new iPhone 6 jumbo yesterday and almost threw up, looks horrendous.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'll be getting one as soon as it is available on Virgin Mobile next week. It will replace my iPhone 4.

Post up some pics and reviews. This is by far the most beautiful phone I've seen this year. If it had a stylus I'd be all over it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes looks great, bezels are ugly, went to see the new iPhone 6 jumbo yesterday and almost threw up, looks horrendous.

You're the same person that described young teens being forcefully sodomized as just "horseplay," so forgive me if your opinion on anything is regarded as questionable.

Its just horseplay, kids have always done it, don't be so sensitive.

Last edited:

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Make this phone 1080p and world quad band compatible, attach a brand name that people have heard of, and it will fly off the shelves.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Will do. I can't explain why I'm drawn to this phone. Maybe it is a retro scifi vibe to it. :)

Same here. The aesthetic direction is definitely different from everything else currently on the market.

Make this phone 1080p and world quad band compatible, attach a brand name that people have heard of, and it will fly off the shelves.

There's an upcoming 1080p version too, with a 5.5" screen. I think the brand name will make itself known through the standout design. Will be interesting to see what kind of interest it generates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.