Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
So I was watching a married with children episode and Al Bundy laughed at the French again. Could someone explain the American contempt for the French?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can't say that contempt for the French is a widely held feeling in American culture, but I believe there have been some hard feelings when the French don't see eye to eye with the U.S. brand of diplomacy, and vice a versa, they have sold weapons to groups who the U.S. views as enemies, and the real offense, reports that some French hold US tourists in ill regard culturally when visiting their country! :)

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
So I was watching a married with children episode and Al Bundy laughed at the French again. Could someone explain the American contempt for the French?

Basically, it's the fries. Without the fries, we wouldn't be stupid and obese.

Although, I don't think most 'murkins care if we're obese or stupid.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Perhaps because Americans view them as snooty and arrogant. Probably originates from WWII, when Americans saved their country, they were beyond grateful and loved Americans. Then something happened and they completely changed their tune.

Thinking it's human nature to dislike anyone who's arrogantly different, I recently learned something interesting about the English....there's a North and South divide. The North "Northerners" don't like the South "Cockneys". I was recently in England and heard it from both sides. Interesting bunch the English....they don't like each other, they don't like the Irish, Scottish, or Welsh, and they definitely don't like Americans. In my trip around Europe, I didn't experience arrogance or felt any hate, but looking at the other American tourists I can definitely see how it could exist. I guess it's the way a nation perceives the people from another country, or another part of their country.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Perhaps because Americans view them as snooty and arrogant. Probably originates from WWII, when Americans saved their country, they were beyond grateful and loved Americans. Then something happened and they completely changed their tune.

Thinking it's human nature to dislike anyone who's arrogantly different, I recently learned something interesting about the English....there's a North and South divide. The North "Northerners" don't like the South "Cockneys". I was recently in England and heard it from both sides. Interesting bunch the English....they don't like each other, they don't like the Irish, Scottish, or Welsh, and they definitely don't like Americans. In my trip around Europe, I didn't experience arrogance or felt any hate, but looking at the other American tourists I can definitely see how it could exist. I guess it's the way a nation perceives the people from another country, or another part of their country.

Tribalism is alive and well.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004

What do you mean by "American" contempt ?

Contempt for the French is universal, and by that, I mean the whole universe does it :cool::D

-t

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
France opposed the US led war with Iraq and many Americans got peeved about that. French Fries were renamed "Freedom Fries" even though they originated from Belgium. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now and French people are well received here and well liked.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

Give American's taste in general, I would be more worried if the Americans LIKED you.:p

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Give American's taste in general, I would be more worried if the Americans LIKED you.:p

Says a dutchman. Summary of the dutch track record:
  • world war I: did squad - Belgium fought FOUR years
  • world war II: capitulated after 3 days - Belgium fought 18 days
In comparison: the Dutch have 1.6 times the belgian population

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Says a dutchman. Summary of the dutch track record:
  • world war I: did squad - Belgium fought FOUR years
  • world war II: capitulated after 3 days - Belgium fought 2 weeks
In comparison: the Dutch have 1,6 times the belgian population

Who care's, life goes on.

History is in the past, and it's better if it stays there.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
For what it's worth, Canadians make fun of French Canadians as well.

That being said, on my recent trip to Paris, I found the people there to be nothing but accomodating, as I tried to recall my grade school French, when I struggled, they just switched to English without any issues.

Did I mention they were super nice?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The French (and I write as one who greatly admires French art, culture, history, literature, philosophy, and whole way of living life and as one who adores French food and wine and cuisine in general) are wonderful as long as you are not transiting through Charles de Gaulle airport…….

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
.....Contempt for the French is universal, and by that, I mean the whole universe does it :cool::D

it's only fair since the French hold everybody else in contempt :p

Who care's, life goes on.

History is in the past, and it's better if it stays there.

right, like you really believe that :rolleyes:.......just remembering how often you drag up history, and even invented "history" at that :p

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
According to my DNA test I'm Central European- English, French, German, and Swedish, but I haven't been polluted by French cultural uppityness. ;)

Notice the wink, I don't hold the French in distain

I did the whole DNA thing while looking up my family..Interesting stuff.
I've got more W. Europe DNA in me than the typical native.

Attachments

• ancestry1.png
    ancestry1.png
    277.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ancestry2.png
    ancestry2.png
    413.5 KB · Views: 54

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
The French are considered by some to be pompous and grandiose. After all they did give us the modern English word aristocrat. Think of how many du jour words French has given as contribution to English over the years

• Pomp
  • Money
  • odour
  • Stranger
  • Pedestal
  • Appeasement
  • Pincer
  • Stupid
  • Repetition
  • Divorce
  • Vomit
  • Reject
  • Pulverize
  • Glorify
  • Bourgeoisie
  • Espionage
  • Terrible

Any reason not to like French?

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I have been to France many times and I have found the French to be as varied as Americans. When there American tourists behaving boorishly, the French show their complete mastery of arrogance. When being treated respectfully, they respond in kind.
My father, a WW II Vet, went to the American Cemetery at Normandy several years ago and we were treated great in all of the small towns nearby we visited. In many restaurants, the staff seeing my father's age would ask if he was a WW II vet. When he would proudly answer that he had served in the European theater, they would almost always thank him and tear up the check.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have been to France many times and I have found the French to be as varied as Americans. When there American tourists behaving boorishly, the French show their complete mastery of arrogance. When being treated respectfully, they respond in kind.
My father, a WW II Vet, went to the American Cemetery at Normandy several years ago and we were treated great in all of the small towns nearby we visited. In many restaurants, the staff seeing my father's age would ask if he was a WW II vet. When he would proudly answer that he had served in the European theater, they would almost always thank him and tear up the check.

Very fair comment and very nicely expressed. Well said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.