Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:51 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Problems with Powermac G5?: "the Big Bang" effect

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Problems with Powermac G5?: "the Big Bang" effect
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Mr. Mister
Banned

The powermac G5 has a 1000W power supply? That is... impressive.
Mr. Mister is offline   0
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mister
The powermac G5 has a 1000W power supply? That is... impressive.
Not so impressive when it goes "Boom." :P
pgwalsh is offline   0
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:55 PM   #4
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

geeze 1kw power supply. thats crazy

its hard enough to find a battery backup to run my dual 2.0 which needs 700 watts to keep it running
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:58 AM   #5
freiheit
macrumors 6502a

One wonders if the power supplies they got are actually rated for a different country's electrical system (ie. different voltage and/or different amperage).

But 1000W... wow! I didn't know the G5's were quite that power hungry. 300W is still sufficient to run a typical PC. I definitely wouldn't want to leave a 1kW system running 24/7 -- my electric bill would be through the roof.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040

where do you find specs like that, all i ever find about my G5 is the power requirements but not the PSU's rated wattage.
Sdashiki is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:33 PM   #7
benpatient
macrumors 68000

I know that the original dual processor G5 (1.8 and 2.0 dual) had a 600 watt PSU...

which I thought was crazy considering that I've got a 325watt Antec PSU in my PC running an overclocked CPU and GPU (which needs an additional Molex connection to power it anyway), 3 HDDs and two optical drives. True, I have an AMD system, and P4 systems run "hotter" than the equivalent Athlon system, but still...My G5 shouldn't need so much juice to run 2 hdds, 1 optical and a passively cooled 5200 bare-bones GPU...should it?

1000 watts is insane. I wonder if my entire house uses that much electricity?

How does Apple get EnergyStar certification...or do they not?
benpatient is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:49 PM   #8
NNO-Stephen
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to NNO-Stephen Send a message via MSN to NNO-Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to NNO-Stephen Send a message via Skype™ to NNO-Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by freiheit
One wonders if the power supplies they got are actually rated for a different country's electrical system (ie. different voltage and/or different amperage).

But 1000W... wow! I didn't know the G5's were quite that power hungry. 300W is still sufficient to run a typical PC. I definitely wouldn't want to leave a 1kW system running 24/7 -- my electric bill would be through the roof.
300W is not typical anymore. no no no. not on a high-end PC that can keep up w/ a dual G5 anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:45 PM   #9
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfilip
geeze 1kw power supply. thats crazy

its hard enough to find a battery backup to run my dual 2.0 which needs 700 watts to keep it running
Keep in mind that no system every draws the maximum current continuously. A 1000W supply means it has the capability of providing 1000W. It won't actually be supplying that kind of power unless you max-out everything (highest clock speed CPUs, maximum-power devices installed in every slot, maximum number of internal drives, etc.)

While it might be nice to get a UPS that can handle a maximum load, it is rarely necessary. If you're seriously concerned about this and don't want to go with back-of-the-envelope estimates, you should get a power meter (like the Kill-A-Watt and measure actual power consumption.

The numbers you get probably won't be anything close to the theoretical maximum printed on the computer's case. It's worth noting that the G5's maximum power draw (according to the spec sheet) is 10A at 120V - or 1200W or 1700VA. But if you would look at this and think you need a 1700VA UPS to keep one running, you'd be wrong. Reports from people who have measured actual power consumption are that it draws far less than 10A.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:48 PM   #10
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatient
1000 watts is insane. I wonder if my entire house uses that much electricity?

How does Apple get EnergyStar certification...or do they not?
A 1000W PS does not mean it draws a constant 1000W! It means the PS is capable of providing that much power if the devices need it.

You won't hit that number unless you max out everything that can be installed in the case. And even then, probably only during the initial startup-surge (just after turning it on).

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion