Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HRMaddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I'm going to get a GoPro 4, but am also looking at a new computer that can handle the 4K. I probably won't film that much in 4K right now. Can the new mini handle the editing and play 4K files? I really don't want to spend the money on a pro since I would never really use the capabilities of it. Right now I have a Pro 2.66 quad core with 8gb and Radeon 4870. I just use if for surfing and home video editing.

StellarEvo

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I'd like to bump this. I'm in a similar boat where I'd be doing some GoPro editing and some light photo editing and I'm not sure if the 2.6GHz i5, 8GB memory with the 1TB Fusion drive can handle it.

I've got a pretty powerful desktop PC but I'm looking to replace it and figured a Mac Mini is easier to dip my toe in the water vs. the Macbook Pro I've had my eye on.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Editing 4K video on the new minis will be slow. The new minis can display 4k video at 25hz, so the frame rates will be low.

I think you would be better off with either the new imac or Mac Pro.

The new mini will be fine for photo editing however, just be sure to get the 16GB of ram.

StellarEvo

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Editing 4K video on the new minis will be slow. The new minis can display 4k video at 25hz, so the frame rates will be low.

I think you would be better off with either the new imac or Mac Pro.

The new mini will be fine for photo editing however, just be sure to get the 16GB of ram.

That's pretty disappointing.

How do you think it will respond to the 1080p @ 60fps? I'd really like to stick with the 8GB memory configu and keep it under a grand.

Once I get over a grand, I start to talk myself into the MBP and eventually convince myself that my i7 Windows desktop is fine and I really don't *need* anything new.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The Mac Mini 2014 will give very poor performance. Honestly, you will be better off with either the Mac Pro, beefier iMacs or perhaps an older Mac Pro refurb set to your own specs.

Given your budget and the Apple iEmptyyourwallet marketing model, perhaps re-investing in your PC might be worth a consideration.

StellarEvo

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
The Mac Mini 2014 will give very poor performance. Honestly, you will be better off with either the Mac Pro, beefier iMacs or perhaps an older Mac Pro refurb set to your own specs.

Given your budget and the Apple iEmptyyourwallet marketing model, perhaps re-investing in your PC might be worth a consideration.

Yep. That's what I figured. I'm pretty much going to ride my PC until it can't do what I need anymore and just buy a Mac then. It'll cost a few grand but I'll be okay with it because it will do something that my PC wouldn't be able to do. I'm just not at that point and the want of a new Mac doesn't outweigh the need of a new computer of any kind when it would cost a few thousand dollars to do what I currently can do with my PC.

Thanks for the input guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.