Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
I took this time-lapse video of a tornado that moved near my campus last Monday. The iPhone 6 time-lapse video quality is superb! (especially considering I kept bumping the camera) Check it out here if you wish:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rzEQ_bW13Ls&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Video quality in time lapse is excellent. I've had the opportunity to see several time lapse videos and they all look great

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Pretty cool. How long did you record?

I can't say with certainty but I think it was about 90 seconds. Video ends when we are put under a tornado warning and I was seeking shelter. Yeah, the warning came a little late. LOL

----------

Nice! Was it fairly dark when you shot this?

Yes it was. The video is brighter than the actual conditions outside.

----------

You truly are the Tornado Whisperer. Great job.

Thanks!

----------

Glad you were safe! Yeah the camera is pretty..... WOW!

I had many people ask what camera and software I used to make this, and they were all shocked when I said all I used was the iPhone 6 and the camera app.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Nice video, yeah the time lapse quality is great, better than the slow motion which on mine seems off, not as sharp. Guess apple is compressing a lot seeing it's 240 frames, that's a lot of information.

I'm super happy at how fast video focuses too, I think the 6s is going to be the ultimate, the s version iPhones always seem to perfect the camera.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
iPhone 6 video quality: wow.

Nice video, yeah the time lapse quality is great, better than the slow motion which on mine seems off, not as sharp. Guess apple is compressing a lot seeing it's 240 frames, that's a lot of information.

I'm super happy at how fast video focuses too, I think the 6s is going to be the ultimate, the s version iPhones always seem to perfect the camera.

It could be that you have the regular 6. Not sure if that has something tondo with it

Go to settings - photo & camera and switch on video record 60 fps

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
It could be that you have the regular 6. Not sure if that has something tondo with it

Go to settings - photo & camera and switch on video record 60 fps

I have the 6+, but never looked in settings for the 60fps, thanks for the heads up, I forgot they added that. When I pan its now much smoother, very nice, got that too real look but I like it:D

Not sure it will do anything for slo motion, that's already using 240fps, I think it's just that slow motion is 720 not 1080, and most likely heavily compressed.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
I have the 6+, but never looked in settings for the 60fps, thanks for the heads up, I forgot they added that. When I pan its now much smoother, very nice, got that too real look but I like it:D

Not sure it will do anything for slo motion, that's already using 240fps, I think it's just that slow motion is 720 not 1080, and most likely heavily compressed.

I wish we had the option to choose the compression, if any at all. I have 40GB of storage free I would love to use.

bndxsupnetcr

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I think the 6s is going to be the ultimate, the s version iPhones always seem to perfect the camera.
10n.jpg

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I took this time-lapse video of a tornado that moved near my campus last Monday. The iPhone 6 time-lapse video quality is superb! (especially considering I kept bumping the camera) Check it out here if you wish:
]

That is beautiful. If I lived high up I would love to time lapse a storm....what the heck, I may try it next time anyway! Thanks! That's a great idea!

FYI, If I was that close to a tornado I would be in the fetal position under my bed, not filming :D

----------

Wow that was pretty awesome!

Here mine. It's not nearly as good lol

I like the jack-o-lantern soap dispenser. :D

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Maybe even 2GB of ram

I would love that. Tired of safari reloading webpages.

----------

----------

LOL! When I decided it was time to go downstairs to seek shelter, I opened the stairwell door and kept filming as it passed by. Probably not my best idea! It was cool though

----------

That is beautiful. If I lived high up I would love to time lapse a storm....what the heck, I may try it next time anyway! Thanks! That's a great idea!

FYI, If I was that close to a tornado I would be in the fetal position under my bed, not filming :D

----------

I like the jack-o-lantern soap dispenser. :D

Tried quoting you but something went wrong lol

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.