Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
pictures and videos are stored on Facebook. i don't think they are stored on your phone. i checked and my Facebook is only using 280-385 megabytes

reinstall Facebook and if goes away , it was just caches

if you reinstall Facebook and it doesn't go away, maybe it does keep pics

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
pictures and videos are stored on Facebook. i don't think they are stored on your phone. i checked and my Facebook is only using 280-385 megabytes

Thanks everyone. I deleted the app and reinstalled and so far it's only showing 123mb. It must have cached a bunch of stuff. I'll keep an eye on it. I think it may have also been the reason my phone was hanging for a good minute or more every time I tried to do anything. I downloaded the battery doctor app but it only freed up a small amount of space, though it seems like a great app so I'll hang onto it. Deleting and downloading again is what fixed it. But like I said, I'll keep an eye on it to make sure the phone doesn't have an issue with this in the future. Thanks again.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks everyone. I deleted the app and reinstalled and so far it's only showing 123mb. It must have cached a bunch of stuff. I'll keep an eye on it. I think it may have also been the reason my phone was hanging for a good minute or more every time I tried to do anything. I downloaded the battery doctor app but it only freed up a small amount of space, though it seems like a great app so I'll hang onto it. Deleting and downloading again is what fixed it. But like I said, I'll keep an eye on it to make sure the phone doesn't have an issue with this in the future. Thanks again.

Facebook bloats up pretty quickly. I bet after a couple of hours of browsing, that 123MB will be doubled.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Facebook bloats up pretty quickly. I bet after a couple of hours of browsing, that 123MB will be doubled.

Yep. I'm at 180mb now. Much better than 2.2gb. But it would be nice to know how to quickly clean it without deleting the app. Any ideas?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I noticed the same with my facebook app.
It was taking up 500mb.
I dont know but doesnt sound like any app should be doing that.
I deleted it and reinstalled it and now its using up 200mb.
Seems like its something I will have to be doing every now and then to keep it from filling up my iphones available storage.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I noticed the same with my facebook app.
It was taking up 500mb.
I dont know but doesnt sound like any app should be doing that.
I deleted it and reinstalled it and now its using up 200mb.
Seems like its something I will have to be doing every now and then to keep it from filling up my iphones available storage.

As it turns out, that battery doctor app will in fact clean up your FB cache, and cache from all your other apps as well. Very simple to use.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
True, but it sucks having to do all that every so many days.

Definitely. The FB app sucks. It really should intelligently clean itself regularly. And unlike most other apps, it seems to vastly increase in size every week. But maybe it's partly because I use it so much. Oh well.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Definitely. The FB app sucks. It really should intelligently clean itself regularly. And unlike most other apps, it seems to vastly increase in size every week. But maybe it's partly because I use it so much. Oh well.

Well said.
I cant remember it being like that in previous ios versions.
Or maybe I just didn't notice it before?

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
Have you guys tried PAPER? Its made by facebook, but maybe is better on memory then the dedicated app?

I use facebook rarely, but when I tried paper, I thought it was pretty sweet.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Have you guys tried PAPER? Its made by facebook, but maybe is better on memory then the dedicated app?

I use facebook rarely, but when I tried paper, I thought it was pretty sweet.

Very interesting. I've heard of it but never used it. Just read up on it and it sounds great. Assuming if it's from FB maybe it has similar issues, but maybe not. Downloading now...

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
the mobile site is basically the same thing and doesn't hog battery.

I was considering this. It's been my backup while the FB app has been giving me headaches. And like you say, it's really the same thing.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Cool, let me know how you like it, and if its good on memory. ;)

Will do. It's a really neat app. However, I think that once you get used to FB as it exists in the native app, it's hard to change. Not sure I will be able to switch to Paper full time. Paper takes up about 110mb right off the bat, much like FB.

----------

I tried the paper app but didnt like it.
You have to scroll from right to left and can barely see anything compared to the normal facebook newsfeed.

True

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania

Good to hear! You should be okay from here on out. What size is your iPhone anyway? 2.2GB is a large amount.

It isn't irregular, its actually quite common. Facebook has all your pictures and videos on it, so that is why

It is not common and the pictures and videos aren't stored on the phone. If this were true, people would be accessing your phone when viewing your profile. I'm pretty sure it's stored on Facebook's website.

Plus 1 for you. I have 300MB.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Aren't all the apps on iphone sandboxed and if so how can an app clear/access cache from another app?

As it turns out, that battery doctor app will in fact clean up your FB cache, and cache from all your other apps as well. Very simple to use.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Good to hear! You should be okay from here on out. What size is your iPhone anyway? 2.2GB is a large amount.

Only the 16gb model right now, which is partially why this is such a big deal for me.

----------

Does it not also delete saved games?

i'm not sure. i don't really play any on my phone so it wasn't even a consideration for me. but that's a good question. i would think it'd be designed to not impact saved games but i can't say for sure.

----------

Aren't all the apps on iphone sandboxed and if so how can an app clear/access cache from another app?

i thought that as well. so i'm not sure how it works. i just know that FB was taking up around 190 mb before i ran the app, and after i ran it was down to 114. even lower than when i had first reinstalled FB. i didn't seem to do anything when i first ran it after noticing FB was at 2.2gb. but someone mentioned you might need to run it twice, which i didn't do before deleting and reinstalling FB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.