Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Did anyone else catch that they are using lower quality parts for the Air 2 camera.

1. The Air 2 camera only features 120 fps slow mo capability vs the iPhone 6 240 fps.

2. The Air 2 camera does not feature mechanical stabilization like the iPhone 6.

I don't understand why they would take so much time to talk about the Air 2 camera when its not even as good as the iPhone 6.

And don't get started about how crappy those images were that they showed during the keynote. You could easily see the low resolution texture of the sky as the color transitioned to different shades of blue. Come on Apple, how about bumping up the MP of sensor up to at least 12 or putting in a larger sensor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tbh, I didn't understand why they took the time to promote the camera, because I'd rather not take my iPad out to places to use it as a camera.

To put it another way, I find the continue improvement on the iPad camera odd, since its not a product that is easily used in places, like amusement parks, or family events, etc.

Now I realize people do, do that, but its odd to see them use an iPad to take pictures while at Disney World

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Tbh, I didn't understand why they took the time to promote the camera, because I'd rather not take my iPad out to places to use it as a camera.

To put it another way, I find the continue improvement on the iPad camera odd, since its not a product that is easily used in places, like amusement parks, or family events, etc.

Now I realize people do, do that, but its odd to see them use an iPad to take pictures while at Disney World

Thats what Apple says... but I barely see people taking pictures with their iPads

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Optical stabilization would not fit, the iPad cam would have to be even more bumped out, would be too much.

But yeah I agree with you, I would have really liked the same camera, you would think optical stabilization would be even more needed on the iPad.

And yeah, Apple seems to be doing heavy processing on images, even on the iPhone, I get an odd painted look sometimes in certain areas of the picture where they are removing grain.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Thats what Apple says... but I barely see people taking pictures with their iPads

I've seen loads of people wandering round London taking photos with their iPads - I really can't understand why anyone would want to but there definitely are plenty who do!

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Optical stabilization would not fit, the iPad cam would have to be even more bumped out, would be too much.

But yeah I agree with you, I would have really liked the same camera, you would think optical stabilization would be even more needed on the iPad.

And yeah, Apple seems to be doing heavy processing on images, even on the iPhone, I get an odd painted look sometimes in certain areas of the picture where they are removing grain.

The iPhone 6 has optical stabilization. How would it not fit for the iPad which is significantly larger to not have image stabilization?

Also, the whole point of the keynote was to demonstrate the potential for editing video on the fly using the more powerful iPad, yet the camera isn't even as good as the iPhone 6 camera. It just doesn't make sense.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
The sometime used iPad cameras have never been as good as the much more used cameras in the more expensive iPhones. That said, the iPad Air 2 camera seems like quite an improvement over the iPad Air.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The iPhone 6 has optical stabilization.

The 6 Plus has optical stabilization. The 6 does not.

I have always assumed that Apple has some kind of database of photos uploaded to iCloud, where they can easily see the photo taking habits of their customers, and design products accordingly. Their likely findings; most people take pics with their phones first and foremost...no need to spend money putting the best possible camera into the lesser used iPad.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
They're always a generation behind. The iPad 3 and 4 camera was the same as iPhone 4. The air was similar but with better tech. The air 2 camera is the 5S camera.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I have only used my camera for scanning documents so the camera upgrade is nice and will work good for that. My 6 Plus will be my camera 95% of the time, my DSLR 4% of the time and my iPad 1%.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Apple need to focus LESS on THIN. We really don't need more THIN.

Most people use some kind of cover to begin with, so thin is not the big deal.

Most would LOVE a bigger battery and better cameras.

Imagine if the Air2 was the same thickness as the Air1 but had a camera as good as the 6+, 30% more battery life, and better front camera.

That would have been the ticket.

Throw in a miniUSB and MicroSD slot for storage while your in there.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
No surprise here. Ipad cam is always a magnitude lower than iphone's. Apple expect ppl to take pic with iphone more often.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Did anyone else catch that they are using lower quality parts for the Air 2 camera.

1. The Air 2 camera only features 120 fps slow mo capability vs the iPhone 6 240 fps.

2. The Air 2 camera does not feature mechanical stabilization like the iPhone 6.

I don't understand why they would take so much time to talk about the Air 2 camera when its not even as good as the iPhone 6.

And don't get started about how crappy those images were that they showed during the keynote. You could easily see the low resolution texture of the sky as the color transitioned to different shades of blue. Come on Apple, how about bumping up the MP of sensor up to at least 12 or putting in a larger sensor.

Its the camera used in the 5s which was rated best in class, so nothing to be sniffed at tbh.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I've seen loads of people wandering round London taking photos with their iPads - I really can't understand why anyone would want to but there definitely are plenty who do!

If the MacBook Pro had a back-facing camera, I guarantee you there would be people trying to use it in that way.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland

Did you observe that by watching the live stream by any chance? The stream itself would have added compression which would have produced the banding you witnessed - I saw that too but I'm sure if you were there in person it would have been a seamless gradient in the sky.

I'm glad they are improving the iPad camera and I never expected it to reach iPhone 6 levels but it is clearly a big improvement over the existing iPad cameras.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple need to focus LESS on THIN. We really don't need more THIN.

Most people use some kind of cover to begin with, so thin is not the big deal.

Most would LOVE a bigger battery and better cameras.

Imagine if the Air2 was the same thickness as the Air1 but had a camera as good as the 6+, 30% more battery life, and better front camera.

That would have been the ticket.

Throw in a miniUSB and MicroSD slot for storage while your in there.

I agree with EVERYTHING above but afraid it is only a wish list.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am definitely not a fan of those who use their tablets to take photos. It happens at concerts, which is downright crappy to me, and other places. To each their own really, but if you're blocking my view at a venue then I get pretty wiggly.

As for the quality of the camera, it should at least have the same one that comes with the iPhone 6.

BoredAtWork

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
its a total gimmick.

If tablet photography is that big of a deal, the least they can do is add a flash to it like the iPhone since.... iPhone 4 and every other phone out there?

or is tablet photography only for daylight? lol:cool:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The camera on an iPad is actually a good productivity tool - it's excellent for scanning and documenting paperwork for example. I for one am glad the iPad has a camera and they are improving it.
Also, while I'm not going to take it with the express purpose of doing photography e.g. when travelling or going to gigs etc, the old adage of the best camera is the one you have at the time i.e. when watching the kids playing and they do something worth capturing still holds true.

For me at least, it will never be my go to camera but is still an asset to have.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Its the camera used in the 5s which was rated best in class, so nothing to be sniffed at tbh.

Actually no... It is probably around iPhone 5 level (maybe even slightly worse).

iPad Air 2 has a smaller sensor, smaller aperture and probably worse optics than iPhone 5s (let alone iPhone 6).

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Actually no... It is probably around iPhone 5 level (maybe even slightly worse).

iPad Air 2 has a smaller sensor, smaller aperture and probably worse optics than iPhone 5s (let alone iPhone 6).

This. iPad Air 2 camera has photosites almost 2/3 the size of the 5s as well as a smaller aperture meaning this will be much poorer in low light as well as just poorer overall for most scenarios.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
We have to realize that at least in part, the device (iPad) is becoming more like the PC in that some use a PC for email/web whereas some use it for gaming.

Just like the Gaming PC is very different from the email/web PC, so too is the iPad needs different when someone uses it for web browsing vs a business tool.

I personally see it as a business tool. The higher grade camera (as noted by Donka) is great as a scanner. Using an iPad for general pic taking would suck.

We need to come to terms that because of the popularity and power of these tablets, the usage will expand.

Whoever said the tablet was just a content consumption device is simply wrong.

I see a business tool, I want a business tool.

The sooner Apple comes to terms with that and stop this iPhone 1st nothing else gets the good stuff, the sooner people start using the tool for more things.

The pickup truck was once seen as a farm vehicle and an eye sore, now, the F150 is the most popular vehicle in the world...

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Its the camera from the 5s. The 5s can only do 120fps slow motion videos. Its a very good camera but I don't take my iPad out taking pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.