Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hello iPod users : ) !!!

How bad is an iPhone 4s ??

What I mean to say, is that I have been thinking
about getting an iPhone 4s. However, I was also
hoping that I could listen to some music and
perhaps every now and then to be able to watch
a video. Will that be possible with an iPhone 4s,
or with time I will need to get an iPod too ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Thank you, kind regards,

The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone. The iPhone 4s uses the same internals so they are basically the same except screen size. It just depends on how much storage you need. The 4s is also discontinued by Apple and is harder to get.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
it seem the higher Ios version, the inevitable slower the older devices. I sold my 4s at 7.1.2, it wasn't bad. The speed is acceptable, only the ram part which ticked me off because i switch between apps a lot.

I think u should be better off with Touch 5, at least for the extra 0.5 inch. One thing for sho is that 4s wifi is much better. I think it has 2 antenna receiving wifi signal. The only one but important one feature 4s over the touch 5 imo. Bite the bullet and get the first mini still a better deal and how apple intend to be.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011

Thank you, kind regards,

if you get a 5S or a 6 it will solve your problem.

i don't know how much you'll be paying for a 4S but 4S + iTouch would be similar price.

but the my iTouch 5th Gen works much faster then my 4S.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I also find the Touch 5 to be much faster than the 4S. They both use the same processors but the Touch 5 has a faster clock and I don't think it has the overhead of the 4S.

yeah thats what i was thinking, when i read the OP's post, i immediately looked it up.

it uses the same chip, but the touch definitely runs faster.

if they just added 1GB of ram, they wouldn't even need to update for prob another 2 years. i don't understand why they didnt just add the 5 processor in there as well.

if that update is ever coming.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I have an iPodTouch5, an iPhone 5 and an iPhone5s. If I was on a tight budget and could have only one device I would get the iPhone 5. It feels as fast as the iPhone5s, and even as fast as the iPhone6/6s in the real world, and will still take everything you can throw at it, play movies, games, good audio quality, and will still get iOS updates.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I have an iPodTouch5, an iPhone 5 and an iPhone5s. If I was on a tight budget and could have only one device I would get the iPhone 5. It feels as fast as the iPhone5s,.

I agree. I have the iPod Touch 3, 4, and 5. But the iPhone 5 blows them all away. I realize it's a bit more money but it's going to be viable longer. Plus, the experience is going to be so much better in every task you do.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I also find the Touch 5 to be much faster than the 4S. They both use the same processors but the Touch 5 has a faster clock and I don't think it has the overhead of the 4S.

you mean clockspeed

if thats the case.. no. Both run on the same clockspeed at 800Mhz

Just Touch 5G has the advantage because it's A5 is 32nm whilst the 4S's is at 45nm (which the Touch 5G's short one can help with performance but not by much).. the 4S's A5 pumps a bit less horsepower than 5G's A5 due to its 3.5 inch, 960x640 screen compared to the Touch's 1136x640 and 4 inch screen. Not much difference.

but i do find Touch 5G just faster when testing both devices, but both devices are definitely faster than iPad 2/Original iPad Mini and im putting iPad 3 because of its screen resolution and pixels

if your gunning for features, Touch 5G has a couple of features like Handoff, airdrop, peer to peer airplay to the third gen Rev A Apple TV and a few other things whilst 4S doesn't have those things...

yeah thats what i was thinking, when i read the OP's post, i immediately looked it up.

it uses the same chip, but the touch definitely runs faster.

if they just added 1GB of ram, they wouldn't even need to update for prob another 2 years. i don't understand why they didnt just add the 5 processor in there as well.

if that update is ever coming.

but then A5's (not talking about the A5X) dont have the capability to support 1GB RAM IIRC.. so 512MB is the maximum it can hold

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
4s with iOS7.1.2, and I love it. Wont upgrade until it dies on me.

I use it 5%, 45%, 50% as phone, internet, music, and it is great for everything.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hello,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

@T'hain Esh Kelch - How many GB of memory do you have with your iPhone 4s?

Kind regards,

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It is VERY ODD that the 4s is running slower than the iPT5. It shouldn't. I wonder if Apple is doing that deliberately to force upgrades on a product they no longer sell. If they are that is SO SLIMY.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
It is VERY ODD that the 4s is running slower than the iPT5. It shouldn't. I wonder if Apple is doing that deliberately to force upgrades on a product they no longer sell. If they are that is SO SLIMY.

the iPod is clocked at 1 GHz vs 800 mhz in the 4s if i remember correctly. Plus it doesn't have the cellular stuff to run. The same thing applied in the iPod 3 and 3GS where the iPod 3 (32GB/64GB) ran faster than the 3GS despite same internals

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Apple is a business, not a charity. However, you are right, sometimes they leave me thinking if they sometimes do not deliberately have an effect on the products they sell. In my case, I haven't updated my MBP's OS X from 10.6.8 onwards and some things have started to fail. For example, the Wifi does not work anymore; and I can not update other of my softwares because the computer will not allow it.

Kind regards,

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
the iPod is clocked at 1 GHz vs 800 mhz in the 4s if i remember correctly. Plus it doesn't have the cellular stuff to run. The same thing applied in the iPod 3 and 3GS where the iPod 3 (32GB/64GB) ran faster than the 3GS despite same internals

5G Touch's processor is clocked at 800mhz not 1GHZ

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

(interesting that the link says 4S's A5 performs the same as than the Touch's A5 despite me saying the Touch is a bit faster.. lol)

the 3G Touch was a bit faster than 3GS because of the CPU's nm being smaller so it can perform better (45nm compared to 65nm)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
5G Touch's processor is clocked at 800mhz not 1GHZ

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

(interesting that the link says 4S's A5 performs the same as than the Touch's A5 despite me saying the Touch is a bit faster.. lol)

the 3G Touch was a bit faster than 3GS because of the CPU's nm being smaller so it can perform better (45nm compared to 65nm)

I see what the confusion is. Some sites say 1GHz and others say 800MHz. After reading the link, I think you might be correct on 800MHz.

In my experience, the 4s seems to be slower (more lag) then the Touch 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.