Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gppittjk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Seriously debating moving from the iPad mini 2 to the iPad Air 2, given what look to be some pretty nice upgrades. I'm looking for something I can use for both work and play, but is light enough for me to tote around all the time. Without having this thread spiral into a RAM discussion, does anyone else feel that this would be a worthwhile upgrade?

I fear that the mini just isn't going to cut it, ultimately, for taking notes and conducting any kind of business. The content consumption experience on it is amazing. I love being able to palm the device, even with my tiny hands. I can use it for hours without really noticing. I should note that I've fallen I love with touchID on my phone, which I wasn't expecting. I know the Air 1 is light, and the Air 2 is slightly lighter. Just wanted to gather some thoughts.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
only if you wanted a larger screen, and the pro/con associated with that larger screen.

from performance point of view, unless you game heavily, you probably won't notice much of a difference.

don't fall for marketing hypes and marketing differentiation for something minuscule in real life usage (like 8 > 7, it's obvious, but a 30% increase in performance on something that's already fraction of a second isn't something you can readily tell. of course you will notice it if you look hard enough)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Agree that faster processor wouldn't be really noticable in real life use, but larger screen can be helpful in improving productivity. As for whether the Air can be comfortably toted around all the time, that's a personal issue. I've toted iPads around most of the time ever since the original iPad. Sure, the lighter it is, the easier it is to tote around, but it wasn't a big problem to tote any of them around. Whether or not the bigger screen justifies the loss of portability in comparison to the mini is really up to you. If not sure, buy the Air 2 from somewhere with a good return policy and try it for a few days. It might be the only way to determine if it works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.