Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
And their 3rd iterations of iPads?

The iPad 3 was a disappointment to everyone and was replaced fast with the iPad 4 and was never talked about again by Apple. Now the iPad mini 3 just the same as the mini 2. Do you think Apple is going to pull an iPad 4 with the mini?

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

The iPad 3 was a disappointment to everyone and was replaced fast with the iPad 4 and was never talked about again by Apple. Now the iPad mini 3 just the same as the mini 2. Do you think Apple is going to pull an iPad 4 with the mini?

Hopefully

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL

The iPad 4 introduction was for more than just poorer performance -- it was to also introduce the lightning connector and get the iPads onto a Fall update cadence. And while it was a bit early, it was still 7 months or so until they released it.

The Mini 2 (and as a result, 3) aren't poor performers, already have lightning, and is on the same update cadence. With Touch ID, they have most of the same core features. I think they did little to the Mini to partially devalue the option and push the higher-margin 9.7" iPads -- very common marketing tactic.

I don't think we'll be seeing an iPad Mini 4 until Fall 2015, at which point, it'll probably get an A8. I don't think we'll ever see the 9.7 and 7.9 iPads with the same chipset at the same time again.

For what it's worth, I'm also in the boat that I don't think we'll see a iPad Pro release until WWDC 2015 at the earliest, in June/July. Love to be proven wrong, but the lack of part leaks doesn't bode well, imho.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

The 3 wasn't a disappointment when it first came out. It was the first retina iPad so there was considerable excitement when it was announced, and even when it turned out to have performance issues, it was only a real problem with heavy gaming. There was some debate over whether a retina screen was worth the performance hit, but *there was debate.*

With the iPad mini 3, the reaction has been meh from the moment it was announced, and almost universal agreement that touch ID alone isn't a worthy upgrade. The situation feels totally different to me than what happened with the iPad 3.

maclove4life

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014

to get people suckered in.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
.........I think they did little to the Mini to partially devalue the option and push the higher-margin 9.7" iPads.......

100% agree! Follow the Money!

Maybe Apple figured that equipping the Mini Retina (original) with an inferior display (ie Gamut and muted colors), which was the only significant difference between the Mini Retina (original) and the Air (original) other than size, didn't drive as many customers to the Air as they had planned.....so they tried harder this time to widen the gulf between the to two products even further.

Last edited:

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
100% agree! Follow the Money!

Maybe Apple figured that equipping the Mini Retina (original) with an inferior display (ie Gamut and muted colors), which was the only significant difference between the Mini Retina (original) and the Air (original) other than size, didn't drive as many customers to the Air as they had planned.....so they tried harder this time to widen the gulf between the to two products even further.

Of course they won't. For cheaper price, you practically get (almost) same performance. Not to mention the added portability.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
I think most people won't even realize that the iPad Mini 3 is not much of an upgrade over the 2. They will just see it is the third and newest one, buy, and slide it under the Christmas tree.

Apple doesn't really care about the Mini as much anymore. The Air is their premium tablet now.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I think most people won't even realize that the iPad Mini 3 is not much of an upgrade over the 2. They will just see it is the third and newest one, buy, and slide it under the Christmas tree.

Apple doesn't really care about the Mini as much anymore. The Air is their premium tablet now.

Too true about people not really realizing the spec difference or lack thereof. Which makes me think that maybe most people didn't realize that the mini 2 and the Air had pretty much the same spec -- the mini was the cheaper, smaller tablet, so most people assumed it had lesser specs. And Apple realized this, so they figured not matching the Air 2's specs won't make a difference to mini 3 sales.

Just a thought. What do everyone think?

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Despite how frustrating some of their spec additions can be, we need to realize that Apple is catering mostly towards casual users.

The iPad 3 was underpowered for the Retina display they pushed, but yet, it still runs completely well for people who just use a tablet as an internet browser and video viewer, which is pretty much the most common use for these tablets as computer replacements for casual users.

These disappointing updates with only 1GB RAM matters not to most people.

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
I'm still rocking the original iPad mini. I don't really use it much unless I'm driving because I have it mounted to my dashboard for music and gps

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I'm still rocking the original iPad mini. I don't really use it much unless I'm driving because I have it mounted to my dashboard for music and gps

Both of my kids still use the first ad Mini as well, only they use theirs everyday. I never hear any complaints from either one of them about the performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.