Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR_Boogy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I currently run two identical 1280x1024 monitors from my old Windows PC, which I am replacing with a new Mac Mini. They only have VGA inputs, not DVI or HDMI.

Now I know the MacMini has two outputs: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort & HDMI. I think you can get converters for just about any combination of ports you can think of but wondered what would be best.

I already have a DP->VGA adapter, an HDMI->DVI adapter and a DVI->VGA adapter, so technically I can run one monitor DP->VGA and the other HDMI->DVI->VGA but that seems a bit ugly :) And I'm not sure the HDMI output is as good as the DP one.

I know you can chain 2 thunderbolt displays into the thunderbolt/DP port so I wondered if I can do the same with 2 VGA monitors?

What would work best?

----------

As a side-question, I also have a 22" HD TV with HDMI-in. On my old MacBook I used DP->HDMI cable and it works really nicely, very clear (if I close the lid of the laptop). When I tried the same cable from my Mac Mini thunderbolt -> HDMI in, it looked a bit pixelated a bit like looking at a crappy JPEG image. Note of the resolution/scaling settings fixed this. It seemed odd my 2012 Mini is worse than my 2008 MacBook in this regard... any ideas if it's a problem or just the way it is?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
2 displays max without using Thunderbolt displays. The daisy chain functionality is part of the display and nothing to do with cables. I'm surprised none of the Thunderbolt hubs offer 3 Thunderbolt ports to get around this limitation that also affects Macbooks with only 1 Thunderbolt port but they only have 2.

MR_Boogy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I think it's two displays limit even with thunderbolt... you can either plug one into HDMI and one into TB, or chain two from TB.

But I wondered if you can get a TB -> dual DVI/VGA adapter, because I feel TB/DP is better than HDMI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.