Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
A mysterious new iPad5,4 device is showing up on iphonebenchmark. It is listing 2 GB of RAM and a three core processor. One can assume this is the iPad Air 2!

Attachments

• cpu.png
    cpu.png
    6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 543
Reactions: Billy95Tech

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
This is one the assumption that this model is the Air 2 (most likely someone preparing their review) and not a prototype of an iPad Pro.

The GPU and Memory performance scores are relatively low though and that may be a result of the test suite needing updated for the new hardware I'm guessing?

----------

makes sense.

Does the iphone 6/plus also have three cores?

Two cores.

----------

What is interesting is the disk test - this new device wipes the floor with the others with a 3x improvement over the closest rival - the iPhone 6.
If that test is correct, it looks like some new form of flash memory on board. It will be interesting if all capacities perform the same or if that is only the 128GB version.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
has the 128 version alsways been faster? Why is that?

Flash can be written to in parallel depending on the controller and capacity. If you look at the specs of flash drives, write speeds normally double as the capacity doubles up to a certain point even though the read speed remains the same. So in theory, the 128GB model may have twice the write speed of the 64GB model.

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Flash can be written to in parallel depending on the controller and capacity. If you look at the specs of flash drives, write speeds normally double as the capacity doubles up to a certain point even though the read speed remains the same. So in theory, the 128GB model may have twice the write speed of the 64GB model.

cool. Glad i ordered the 128 version =)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i don't see the ipad air 2 in that list.. so where is the confirmation that has 2 Gb Ram?

Sissyboy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
That's a good find Charlie. :apple:

It will be interesting to see if Safari performs better.

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
kinda doubt that the 10h battery life will remain since it seems to be way more powerful than the air and its even thinner...

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
RAM has never been an issue with my iPad Air...
But iOS 8 has...wifi hangs and pages crash...hope today's 8.1 fixes things.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
There is actually value in complaining. If enough people complain, apple does change it. Like the screen size. 2 years ago, 4 inch was "perfect" because it could be operated with 1 hand. Many many complaints later and boom, they don't even make a updated 4" phone any more.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
While these tests are impressive (VERY... multicore is near macbook air levels) I wouldn't put too much stock in them. There are some suspicious scorings (graphics score is all F'd up) but my guess is most of it is accurate. Likely somebody has their hands on an Air 2 and is testing it.

Surprised if it's actually 3 core. I think it would have to be 3 core to score that high.

And all the people whining about 2GB, you got what you wanted now go back to XDA and android nobody wants you here. Spec nerds.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
There is actually value in complaining. If enough people complain, apple does change it. Like the screen size. 2 years ago, 4 inch was "perfect" because it could be operated with 1 hand. Many many complaints later and boom, they don't even make a updated 4" phone any more.

To be fair, I don't think complaining made that happen, it was dictated by the market because of the large volume of sales in the Phablet segment.

Apple bringing back Camera Roll is perhaps a better illustration of complaining enough will drive change.

Last edited:

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010

oh please. no one on macrumors complained about 4" being too small.

this is an economic but stupid decision of apple in the post steve jobs era to capture the android fanboys who were convinced that they need a huge screen on a phone.

the iphone should have stayed at 3.5" because thats how you can hold and operate the whole thing comfortably.
i am not upgrading from my 5c till they make it smaller again. the iphone mini is inevitable.

want a useful big screen and not a compromise? get an ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.