Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kendrickhphoto

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
On the tech specs page for the new iMacs it shows they use 1600 MHz ram. Will the haswell chipset auto adjust to faster memory?

If so I'd love to see a comparison between the speeds offered at newegg (1333 -2133). Hoping anandtech gives us some more info.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07609 600523465&IsNodeId=1&name=32GB (4 x 8G)

You should go with this Crucial RAM it is the cheapest and best at this point. The max speed the iMac recognizes is 1600 MHz. You can use higher if you find it but it will just show 1600 MHz.

Last edited:

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
You should go with this URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBJFW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008LTBJFW&linkCode=as2&tag=httphorefis-20&linkId=TLGK6MUUXFADVTFD"]Crucial RAM[/URL] it is the cheapest and best at this point. The max speed the iMac recognizes is 1600 MHz. You can use higher if you find it but it will just show 1600 MHz.

Crucial recommends this particular model for the 27" Retina iMac, but I don't really see any difference in specs, do you?

http://www.crucial.com/ProductDispl...=-1&langId=-1&storeId=10151&modelCatId=384006

firsmith

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Any thought to how much RAM I should be using? I upgrade the CPU and GPU, but left the RAM at 8GB for now. Is that enough to try it out and at least see what I think or should I order additional now?

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Any thought to how much RAM I should be using? I upgrade the CPU and GPU, but left the RAM at 8GB for now. Is that enough to try it out and at least see what I think or should I order additional now?

Unless you are a "power user" running virtual machines, opening huge files in photoshop or stuff like that then 8GB should be sufficient for just about anything. :)

firsmith

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Unless you are a "power user" running virtual machines, opening huge files in photoshop or stuff like that then 8GB should be sufficient for just about anything. :)

thanks, will wait then.

Can you let me know what kinds of things I should look for that would tell me additional RAM would help, verse just the speed the computer is going to run at with the CPU/GPU it has?

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
You should go with this Crucial RAM it is the cheapest and best at this point. The max speed the iMac recognizes is 1600 MHz. You can use higher if you find it but it will just show 1600 MHz.

Thanks. If I remember correct, back when I had my 2011 Mini it could address higher memory so I thought there was maybe a chance this would as well.

Although, I am still curious of the G.Skill memory I linked to earlier as it has CL 9 vs the CL 11 of the Crucial.

kendrickhphoto

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks. If I remember correct, back when I had my 2011 Mini it could address higher memory so I thought there was maybe a chance this would as well.

Although, I am still curious of the G.Skill memory I linked to earlier as it has CL 9 vs the CL 11 of the Crucial.

You could always try it out and return it if it doesn't work or you don't see any performance gains vs the cheaper 1600 MHz.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
thanks, will wait then.

Can you let me know what kinds of things I should look for that would tell me additional RAM would help, verse just the speed the computer is going to run at with the CPU/GPU it has?

Since osx 10.9 The handeling of memory is great in osx, just open "the icon with The hart rate monitor" (don't Know The appname in english) and check The memory usage.. If it's red then you Know you need more, if it's Green then your fine :)

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
That's the same RAM it just shows different part numbers I've contacted Crucial about it and they verified it was the same.

Thank you very much for confirming this and letting us know. Much appreciated!

I'm going to go ahead and order 32 GB through Amazon now before the great pricing possibly disappears.

Bryan

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
That's the same RAM it just shows different part numbers I've contacted Crucial about it and they verified it was the same.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I've just contacted Crucial as well and they confirmed it's the same RAM module. So you can get 32gb for the new iMac for juts 273$!

kendrickhphoto

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I've just contacted Crucial as well and they confirmed it's the same RAM module. So you can get 32gb for the new iMac for juts 273$!

Yeah mine has been sitting here since Sunday, just waiting for the iMac to ship now so I can put it in there.

firsmith

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Since osx 10.9 The handeling of memory is great in osx, just open "the icon with The hart rate monitor" (don't Know The appname in english) and check The memory usage.. If it's red then you Know you need more, if it's Green then your fine :)

Gracias!!
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.