Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,

A lot of email provider recycle username of the account that is not used from a lot.

What di you think about this practice?

I think is a privacy risk and if the email is used with facebook or similar the risk is biggest

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never heard of this, Apple, google don't and I don't think hotmail/outlook does either.

Who does this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've not heard of it either. That would pose some interesting and scary problems for people who used to use a certain account name.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I guess so. According to this year old article, both MS and Yahoo! do it.

Microsoft is quietly recycling Outlook email accounts

Like Yahoo, Microsoft is recycling email accounts, and apparently doing so without mentioning it in service agreements for Hotmail, Live, and Outlook.com.

Yahoo recently started recycling unused accounts and was harshly criticized for this policy. The company reassured users that proper measures where implemented to prevent privacy disasters like identity theft through data obtained from old e-mail.

Microsoft, however, for years has had a similar policy for reuse of Hotmail accounts. The policy has been extended to other Microsoft-branded online services like Windows Live ID and Outlook.com, Microsoft has confirmed to Webwereld, a Dutch IDG publication.

The Microsoft Services Agreement mentions that users are required to log in to their Microsoft accounts "periodically, at a minimum of every 270 days, to keep the Microsoft branded services portion of the services active." Otherwise "we may cancel your access" and "your data may be permanently deleted from our servers."

Microsoft does not mention the possibility that email account names will be recycled. The company confirms that this is the policy, however. When the account becomes inactive "the email account is automatically queued for deletion from our servers. Then, after a total of 360 days, the email account name is made available again," according to an email statement from Microsoft.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
This is a privacy risk!

And i have discovered that Apple after 1 year that you don't login to iCloud can delete the account.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yeah, it does sound like a serious risk. The article says they have "measures" in place to prevent issues, but I don't know that I'd trust that - especially with Yahoo! Glad I don't have an account with them.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
The only soluti in that Yahoo has taken is add a button to report and email as of the old user... A very useful method.... :-(

But if you use the old email for amazon, facebook, spotify etc... There is a serious privacy risk because the new user can revolver the account linked with the old user email.

In addition there is a risk for the privacy of deceased people!!!!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I hadn't heard of this before, and at least on the surface it seems like a bad idea. However as the internet goes on longer and longer most of the easy to remember usernames will be gone, so it does make sense to have a mechanism to allow them to be reused after enough time goes by without them being used.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
In conclusion this is a big privacy problem, imho

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Normally I'm all for RECYCLING, but this is one step to far.

This is one problem that I don’t have, thankfully.
All my e-mail addresses are before 1997, in meantime the original provider has been absorbed into a larger corporation. The new e-mail addresses have the new name, the old addresses when discarded are deleted for good.

But in general the recycling of old e-mail addresses is a worrying fact, for internet security.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
270 days seems like a really short time. But I see no real issue with recycling an email name that has been inactive for like five years or something.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Can some other one call Apple And ask if Icloud mail addres will be recycled after some time?

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Because I have done.... and I'm waiting for a response.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
I will :cool:

But I think that if several people contact them, we can compare the reply.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
I have received the reply from Apple.

- Yes the Apple ID and iCloud expires after 1 year if not used

- They never recycle the username of Email like @icloud.com/me.com/etc....

Someone has contacted Apple and try to confirm this version?

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004

Why don't you submit the question AGAIN under a different name if you don't believe Apple gave you the right answer ?

-t

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

If that is what apple told you then that is what their policy is.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'd like to clarify that recycling a user name, simply means making it availabe for someone else to take?

I could argue that if someone's name is involved, like jgreen or jim green, then it should remained locked, except how many J. Or Jim Green's are out there? Not advocating but maybe it is unfair to keep an abandoned name locked up? However, I agree that identity theft could be an issue. One of the reasons I switched to google email was for longevity, so that I did not have to change my email every time I moved and changed providers (using my cable company email).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.