Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrTwoFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Might be too early in the lifecycle to ask this, but I'm starting to consider whether to keep my first-gen (2012) MBP Retina (8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, great shape) for the long haul or sell it while it's still under AppleCare and get something new.

My only consideration is long-term support and reliability; I love the computer and it still does everything I want it to, but I don't have any Apple stores near me and realize I can't do any work on it myself. It looks like they're going for $1100-$1400 on eBay, which would put me in the ballpark of a new 13" Retina. Any opinions on how well these are going to hold up, and whether there are sufficient changes to the newer, lower-end models to extend the useful life? Do values tend to drop after the warranty expires?

Thanks for advice! I've been a long-time Mac user but never sold any of my old machines (as my slow-as-molasses 2008 macbook can attest).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm in a similar situation, its been a great computer and rock solid but with the dGPUs failing on the 2008, 2010, 2011 models, I'm a little spooked. With that said, since nothing has been cropping on these models and its such a great machine. I think holding on to it is a good idea.

DrTwoFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks - I hadn't realized the previous models were having dGPU issues. Not that that necessarily implies anything, but it does reinforce my skittishness about owning these newer machines out of warranty.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Selling with Apple Care is not really relevant. It will make very little if any difference when you go to sell it. You might have to be a bit more patient. I would dispute the idea that these machines are flawless, however. I and many users have had serious screen issues including the exploding pixel screen problem, which I personally had. Now if it's an apple issue that causes the machine to Bork they will sometimes repair it out of warranty, which was my case. I personally don't see anything in the later model that would make me want to sell this one. Maybe next year they'll come out with way better battery life or something at might tempt me. Personally I'm hanging tight. This is by far the best computer I've ever owned. I've had everything in the mac line too including tons of airs. Once you look at a retina, especially under Yosemite, you never want to use a normal display.

dewp

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
I was thinking of the same too. I havent run into any issues with my 2012 macbook retina, so I've decided to just to keep using it until it dies, or if theres a new major upgrade to the line. I do have a lcd screen issue that I plan on getting fixed before my applecare expires, but everything else has been perfectly fine. My experience with my laptops have lasted a long time, so if there are any issues that come up with the graphics card and such, I'm not too worried.

DrTwoFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks guys. It really is, by far, the best computer I've ever owned, so I'm inclined to just hang on to it and see how it goes. I hadn't realized that the battery service was only (ha) $200, and since that's the only forseeable wear item, I may as well just stick with it since I'd lose that on any sort of trade-up. Besides, as I've seen on my poor old Macbook, generic replacement batteries are lame anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.