Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Istanbul
I have a 13.3'' Mid-2014 rMBP (8GB Ram, 2.6GHz processor).
I love the look what OSX Yosemite brings but i have a doubt about installing it
or not. Because i think it's going to slower the boot-up time etc.

Can rMBP users tell their experince on Yosemite?

After Upgrade Edit: OS X Yosemite rocks.

Last edited:

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Boot up is only a couple of seconds slower. Shut down is faster. Haven't run into any issues.

Personally, I'd recommend doing a clean install (do a search thru this forum for instructions).

thejw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Istanbul
Boot up is only a couple of seconds slower. Shut down is faster. Haven't run into any issues.

Personally, I'd recommend doing a clean install (do a search thru this forum for instructions).

I will do a clean install if i decide to upgrade it. Thanks a lot!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If you don't know why you should or shouldn't, then no. If you're asking so you'll know why you should or shouldn't, then no...until you do.

GeoFan49

macrumors member
Upgrade now, directly from 10.6.8 to Mavericks 10.9.5, or wait for Yosemite 10.10.x?

My OS X Upgrade Dilemma…

What software that I am running now will not work on Mavericks, OR on Yosemite? How to determine that? Is there an app for that? What will the upgrade cost me in time and money an inconvenience? Is the pleasure worth the pain?

Please take the POLL HERE:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1805661/

Last edited:

Sgt Barone

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Making and answering calls/texts from your Mac is awesome, especially if you're doing work on your computer. Plus the style of Yosemite is gorgeous. I'd upgrade, especially since you have the newest rMBP.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I have the same 13" rMBP, I upgraded to Yosemite, and haven't experienced any problems. Boot is very slightly slower but hardly noticeable (and I rarely reboot anyway).

The #1 feature I'm using is sending/receiving text messages from my computer. I didn't realize how indispensable it would be until I started using it, now I don't know how I could ever go back.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Battery life sucked after the upgrade.

going from normal 7 hours to under 5 (doing the exact same thing as I used to do every day).

very disappointed.

thejw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Istanbul
thanks for help guys, it really helped me alot. I'm going to upgrade my Mac with clean install

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Bit late reply but I've had zero problems so far on the same spec rMBP, and have sent/received SMS plus made several phone calls with it today.

Touch wood, the patchy wifi connection seems to be vastly improved; I've not had one wifi drop from resuming from sleep as I did under Mavericks. Early days but pretty pleased.

I'll be upgrading the family Air at the weekend.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have a 13.3'' Mid-2014 rMBP (8GB Ram, 2.6GHz processor).
I love the look what OSX Yosemite brings but i have a doubt about installing it
or not. Because i think it's going to slower the boot-up time etc.

Can rMBP users tell their experince on Yosemite?
Bootup times shouldn't worry you at all. I'm not sure why you'd bring that up, I've never shut down any Mac I've owned apart for bootcamp and updates, ever.

Yosemite runs just great in my machine, and my SSD is slower than yours by a big margin.

thejw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Istanbul
Bootup times shouldn't worry you at all. I'm not sure why you'd bring that up, I've never shut down any Mac I've owned apart for bootcamp and updates, ever.

Yosemite runs just great in my machine, and my SSD is slower than yours by a big margin.

How did you installed it? Clean install or normal upgrade?

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I waited for a bit to upgrade, I saw that you edited your post and that you are enjoying Yosemite. I am enjoying it also.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
still debating if il upgrade through clean install or through my mavericks.

i still have a ton of files on my laptop

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
It's still a little buggy. I have had a couple of crashes with a clean install on a 15" rMBP. I would wait till 10.10.1 release.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
upgraded both my wife's and my rMBPs. Runs good, very happy with it, except for 1 issue.

Voila (from App Store) on my machine does not work while Voila (standalone installation from StackSocial deal) on my wife's machine continues to work properly. Both are running the same versions, just different sources.

Their App Store description highlights that it doesn't play nice in Yosemite and an update is expected in early Nov.
ftlklz.png

Came as a shock to me as I had wanted to record a webinar but found out that I couldn't (and I was just updating my wife's to Yosemite at that moment!!! Luckily, it still works on hers! :p).

So anyone constantly using Voila should take note before you attempt to update to Yosemite. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.