Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now that iOS 8.1 has been released to the public, we're getting our first look at what Apple Pay looks like on the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. Apple Pay isn't immediately obvious when iOS 8.1 is installed -- users will need to open up Settings or Passbook to see various Apple Pay features.

The initial setup for Apple Pay can be done through Passbook. Tapping the "+" icon in Passbook will allow users to add a card. If a card is already associated with an iTunes account, users can tap choose to use that card, or enter another one using the camera.

applepaysetup1.jpg
The camera roll will capture a card number, expiration date, and user's name, requiring the security code on the card to verify the number with the bank.

The verification process takes just a few seconds for most cards that are currently working with Apple Pay, after which the card can immediately be used for purchases. Some cards require additional verification steps, such as phone calls and emails. All cards stored in Passbook will be stacked on top of each other in Passbook's traditional style, with tap pulling a specific card to the forefront of the app.

verifyingcardapplepay.jpg
Apple Pay's neatest features are buried in the Settings menu, located under the new "Passbook and Apple Pay" section. Each credit card listed added to Passbook is listed here, along with Transaction Defaults like billing address, shipping address, email, and phone number.

applepaysettingspassbook.jpg
Tapping on one of the cards provides specific information about the card, allowing users to see the last digits of the card number, the last digits of the Device Account Number that replaces the card number in transactions, and it also provides contact information for the bank behind the card, as well as an app download.

Each card also includes a list of recent transactions that have been made, and with some cards, transactions made in stores that don't support Apple Pay will be listed right alongside Apple Pay transactions. This settings area is also where a card can be removed from Apple Pay.

applepaysettings.jpg
After being set up, Apple Pay can be used within stores and within participating apps to make purchases with a single touch. When in a store, making a purchase is as simple as holding an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus near a contactless payment terminal with a finger on Touch ID, can be seen in the demo video below from The Verge.

According to Apple, Apple Pay will work with more than 200,000 stores that support contactless payments, and it has partnered with several retailers like Walgreens, Macy's, and Whole Foods to ensure support in those locations. Apple Pay also works for purchases made in participating apps like Uber, Starbucks, and Apple's own Apple Store app.

Article Link: How to Set Up Apple Pay and Add Credit Cards

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I just added all my cards.

I had to verify each one with my card issuer so at least there is some security in adding the card to my phone.

Can't wait to try it; unfortunately I'm not in the US right now, so it all needs to wait.

Not sure how to add my loyalty cards though.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Used it for the first time at a local McDonald's. Process was simple and quick. Very much like you see in The Verge video.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Many users are reporting that cards are not yet being accepted during setup even if the issuer is listed as an Apple Pay partner.

We're going to have to be patient with the banks as they enable things from their end.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Kind of scary how smoothly that worked... all 3 cards in. Apple, I blame you for that robot dog I just bought ;)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
My bank doesn't support it, useless update for me. Google wallet worked fine with my Visa debit card on my Nexus.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Downloading now, be great to see UK supported first for once, we already have lots of NFC payments here.
And in the Netherlands we're already using 'contactless payments' from several banks. Would love to see it here as well. :)

But I guess that'll take quite some long time. Might be with iOS 9, but I hope it will be earlier than that. They shouldn't make the same mistake as with Siri and iTunes Radio, which both still aren't supported in the Netherlands...

Unconsoled

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Rain City WA
I thought our default iTunes cards were supposed to work. Anyone see how to make this happen? My credit union doesn't work with it yet but I read originally that whatever you had in iTunes did work.

Any thoughts?

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
My cards are PNC and Barclay (old original apple credit card) to be enabled thjis year, and PNC said before end of month once. But not right now so cannot test this yet as I cannot add these yet. It does a good job with much of the scans of photo (depending on how clear text and numbers are) but then checks and says my card not yet supported so a useless feature for me for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.