Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So usually my 6+ battery is a beast. I can use it all day and it'll maybe be around 85% in the evening with moderate use...

I installed iOS 8.1 without the phone plugged in and it went down to 90% (got a bit hot) and that's ok... an understandable value for installing an update. But now it's only been around 1.5 hours since I've installed the update and I've hardly done anything with the phone because I've been busy. Now I see the battery's at 83%?

Anyone else reporting increases battery consumption for the 6+? Calling it a fluke for now because I'm going to charge it up again tomorrow and reboot... I'll see how it goes.

But yeah, 7% for a period of 1.5 hours doesn't sound right.

----------

I should be honest I just checked my Battery Usage and it says Usage since last full charge is 1 hour (used it in the morning). However, that's definitely time prior to installing 8.1 and so it should be presumed that the 90% battery I saw after installing was the result of the update *and* some Facebook/Twitter browsing this morning.

So if that's 10% for 1 hour's use + an update then 7% for doing virtually nothing (save for a 20 second YouTube clip of Ian McKellen) other than sit on my desk or in my pocket, something isn't right.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So usually my 6+ battery is a beast. I can use it all day and it'll maybe be around 85% in the evening with moderate use...

I installed iOS 8.1 without the phone plugged in and it went down to 90% (got a bit hot) and that's ok... an understandable value for installing an update. But now it's only been around 1.5 hours since I've installed the update and I've hardly done anything with the phone because I've been busy. Now I see the battery's at 83%?

Anyone else reporting increases battery consumption for the 6+? Calling it a fluke for now because I'm going to charge it up again tomorrow and reboot... I'll see how it goes.

----------

I should be honest I just checked my Battery Usage and it says Usage since last full charge is 1 hour (used it in the morning). However, that's definitely time prior to installing 8.1 and so it should be presumed that the 90% battery I saw after installing was the result of the update *and* some Facebook/Twitter browsing this morning.

So if that's 10% for 1 hour's use + an update then 7% for doing virtually nothing (save for a 20 second YouTube clip of Ian McKellen) other than sit on my desk or in my pocket, something isn't right.

thanks for the warning

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

----------

You just did an update. What were you expecting. This is why Apple always tells people to plug in when doing updates. I have had my phone on for hours since downloading 8.1 with no issue.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

----------

I agree that "something" is not right!:p

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Is this a troll post or for real?

Great idea, I contribute to the Tmo thread for a long time then try making a troll thread to anger the community... Uhhh, no. If anything I'm prompting people to check on their battery life after the update (for 6+) so I can see if there is truly an issue or if it's just me.

You just did an update. What were you expecting. This is why Apple always tells people to plug in when doing updates. I have had my phone on for hours since downloading 8.1 with no issue.

Read my post again, I said straight after the update my phone read 90% battery (That's a 10% loss from the update and from browsing earlier).

I have now hardly used my phone but it was telling me 83% (7% loss for 20 seconds of YouTube and one attempt at adding an Apple Pay card).

Besides, I think it could be a fluke (as mentioned) but I want to see what others are noticing just to see if there's really something or nothing.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012

I expected 20-30% but 7% ?? 8.1 is only available for few hours. - try it for few days..

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I expected 20-30% but 7% ?? 8.1 is only available for few hours. - try it for few days..

You expected 20-30% idle battery consumption? Sounds like your 6+ has a faulty battery if you think that happens in 1.5 hours.

Unless you mean in total... Well, I wouldn't based on my battery pre-update and battery after the update.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Great idea, I contribute to the Tmo thread for a long time then try making a troll thread to anger the community... Uhhh, no. If anything I'm prompting people to check on their battery life after the update (for 6+) so I can see if there is truly an issue or if it's just me.

Ok then. As others have said (including yourself) you just installed an update. Give it at least 24 hours. The first rule of updating iOS is to not make battery judgement until at least a couple days of normal usage.

shook187

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
Ok then. As others have said (including yourself) you just installed an update. Give it at least 24 hours. The first rule of updating iOS is to not make battery judgement for at least a couple days of normal usage.

While I agree my battery life so far seems diminished i'm going to give it at least a couple days to have things settle in before I make a silly thread like just an hours later after an update

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
While I agree my battery life so far seems diminished i'm going to give it at least a couple days to have things settle in before I make a silly thread like just an hours later after an update

Right that's what I said.

But silly thread? It's not a silly thread to make for a genuine concern. Would you call it silly if someone made a thread about their cellular not working? Or their phone bending? Or the antennagate issue? Or would you tell them to wait until the iPhone's been out for at least a month before they should report and discuss issues that may be apparent. No sir, I believe I should post about whatever issue I might be noticing because not only does it benefit me, it benefits others who may be having the same question (because other people, such as yourself, are providing information that benefits everyone. Vox populi.).

I do agree, maybe I was too forward in the original post but a great reason for me making this post is so that it's out there and known within the forums. It's another statistic that says "hey, you might be getting this issue. Here's people in this thread who might be getting it too or providing tips"

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
OTA ios updates can take a lot of power both during the install and after. There is behind the scene activity like file indexing and background maintenance that can occur.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013

whoa whoa whoa....when the hell does Apple ever tell anyone to plug in when doing an update? Can you show me where they have said this?

----------

----------

Look buddy this happened to me after 8.01 i can tell you the easy fix.

Restore from a back up. I would do one from either after you got your 6 plus and before you did todays update.

I went from almost throwing my phone in the garbage to loving the long battery again.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
whoa whoa whoa....when the hell does Apple ever tell anyone to plug in when doing an update? Can you show me where they have said this?

They say that you may want to plug into a socket for battery life. Read your phone instructions once in awhile.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
They say that you may want to plug into a socket for battery life. Read your phone instructions once in awhile.

Well I am sure they mean that if you are on 1% battery.... I dont think having it plugged into a power source changes the way the software gets installed.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Why is it that Every time a new version of software is released people always complain that it messes up their battery life. There is no way that it will affect your battery and I think it's all in your head. I think you're expecting it to mess up your battery life and you're looking too hard at it and looking too hard for it to mess up. If battery life is a major concern and not working properly then go get yourself an external battery pack and keep it in your pocket so you can continuously charge your phone. I had to plug my phone into a power source to update mine but it was already down to 30% so I am charging it now after and went down to 12%. I have been on this current charge for two straight days.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
You expected 20-30% idle battery consumption? Sounds like your 6+ has a faulty battery if you think that happens in 1.5 hours.

Unless you mean in total... Well, I wouldn't based on my battery pre-update and battery after the update.

No. when i saw the title i expected some terrible decrease in the battery but it's only 7% he can't judge by that a problem in 8.1. so i expected more major decrease in the battery. Personally i wouldn't open a thread on 7% loss after update ;o i would wait a couple of days and see what happens.

if everyone would open a post so quickly after an update this forum will won't be the same.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Why is it that Every time a new version of software is released people always complain that it messes up their battery life. There is no way that it will affect your battery and I think it's all in your head. I think you're expecting it to mess up your battery life and you're looking too hard at it and looking too hard for it to mess up. If battery life is a major concern and not working properly then go get yourself an external battery pack and keep it in your pocket so you can continuously charge your phone. I had to plug my phone into a power source to update mine but it was already down to 30% so I am charging it now after and went down to 12%. I have been on this current charge for two straight days.

NO NO NO its not in my head when you can literally watch the battery drain from 100% to 90% in about 15 minutes while it gets extremely hot i guess i'm just imagining it right? oh and by the way its on a 6 plus that has amazing battery life.

Updates mess with carrier connections wifi connections and other things. its up to the user to figure out what the update changed or is doing in order to stop the battery drain.

Dude i've been using Iphones since the 1st one and there is always some kind of issue with an update that drains batteries its not like were high on drugs and making this crap up.

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014

He's right guys, the bend was an optical illusion because we were looking too hard.

Sorry if I keep using the bend example but it's annoying how so many people are defending Apple (so was I) until I actually noticed mine has a circle-esque bend like a shallow banana.

No this isn't a troll thread.
No I'm not crying about battery life at the moment, I'm simply pointing out something so other people can notice.
No this isn't some illusion. I am now down to 79% and nothing has happened, I've put it on the charger and I'm backing up to iCloud.

I often come back to these forums to see if there's a thread about an issue I'm facing so that I can seek some knowledge on the matter. I made this thread so quickly because I want at least one thread in which people with these battery issues (regardless of date, they could have them in a few days time) can post so that I and others have a place to look.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
iPhone's only been out a month and of course we already got bending complaints:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Physical bending obviously you can notice right away.
Battery life takes a long time to conclusively notice effects up till its fully charged/discharged and then average daily use to actually notice the differences from before and after.
An hours use does not signify anything but why do I even bother anyway....

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Right that's what I said.

But silly thread? It's not a silly thread to make for a genuine concern. Would you call it silly if someone made a thread about their cellular not working?NO Or their phone bending?YES Or the antennagate issue?YES Or would you tell them to wait until the iPhone's been out for at least a month before they should report and discuss issues that may be apparent. YES No sir, I believe I should post about whatever issue I might be noticing because not only does it benefit me, it benefits others who may be having the same question (because other people, such as yourself, are providing information that benefits everyone. Vox populi.).

I do agree, maybe I was too forward in the original post but a great reason for me making this post is so that it's out there and known within the forums. It's another statistic that says "hey, you might be getting this issue. Here's people in this thread who might be getting it too or providing tips"

All those things you said are ridiculous. except no signal, now thats an issue. you have had like an hour to judge and even you said that you were doing "nothing" after the update. Then a sentence later you say oh, except for that video I watched. Point is people tend to not realize what they are doing that causes a batteyr drain. A million factors also are involved. If you were in a spot that had poor signal your battery could suffer. Not to mention that battery meters are NOT 100% accurate. your battery could have drained to that point during your update but the algorithm did not adjust for it until a short time later. Come on, making this thread after an hour is ridiculous and you should get atleast a 24hr stat before you say there may be a problem.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
i haven't notice anything unusual but i will continue to monitor the battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.