Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook commented on the balance between supply and demand for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus during today's earnings call, stating that demand is far outstripping supply despite a satisfactory production ramp-up. Cook noted that available data makes it unclear as to when supply will catch up with demand, and that the company was "not close" to having a balance between supply and demand at the end of Q4 2014.

iphone_6_iphone_6_plus.png
Supplies for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have remained tight since the launch of both devices last month, as new iPhone 6 orders still show a shipping estimate of 7-10 business days while the iPhone 6 Plus is still showing a shipping delay of 3-4 weeks. It is worth noting that the iPhone 6 has been mostly available at Apple's own stores and other retail locations, while the iPhone 6 Plus has a constrained supply in-store.

According to a report by The Wall Street Journal, Apple delayed plans to mass produce the larger 12.9-inch iPad in order to shift its resources towards the iPhone 6 Plus as it has remained unsatisfied with the production output from its suppliers for its larger iPhone. A report from earlier this month also stated that the company is shifting its production balance towards the iPhone 6 Plus which may gradually improve its supplies of the larger phone.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Demand 'Far Outstripping' Supply

maclove4life

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
What you needed to do, Apple, was to start producing at least 3 months ahead...NOT ONE MONTH.

You just changed the whole dynamic of manufacturing, Steve Cook.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
The thing is, is it really worth quoting "fastest roll-out ever" every iPhone release though?

Why not strip back with the countries, and give demand to the countries that need it the most. Allocate stock properly, and catch up quicker.

Whilst it's not entirely fair for more countries to wait longer.. but you catch my drift right?

maclove4life

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
USA is the true 3rd world country when it comes to iPhones.....we're are starving ...for iPhones with coolest 8mp camera...

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
You just wasted valuable time telling us this rather than making 200 more iPhone 6 models.

Oh YES! OF COURSE!

Tim Cook told everyone in China to stop manufacturing iPhones while he told the world how successful the iPhone 6 was!

:rolleyes:

Honestly, I wonder if people even THINK before posting here.

----------

The thing is, is it really worth quoting "fastest roll-out ever" every iPhone release though?

Why not strip back with the countries, and give demand to the countries that need it the most. Allocate stock properly, and catch up quicker.

Whilst it's not entirely fair for more countries to wait longer.. but you catch my drift right?

Well of course, as an American you are gonna say that. You guys get it first:rolleyes:

SeeLos

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
I ordered an iPhone 6 Plus (64gb Space Grey) through AT&T the same day they were released and my expected ship time is 11/21/2014 to 12/03/2014.

Bull ****.

edit: not actually genuinely angry. also to clarify, I meant first day of pre-orders. I get my phone through work so I wasn't able to pre-order at midnight, just the next day in the AM...also the reason I had to buy it through AT&T and not direct from Apple. Oh well!

Last edited:

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
It would be interesting to know how many people switched back from Android because of the larger screen.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I got a 128GB 6 for my wife cause her 64gb 5S keeps getting used up with our daughters photos videos. We're both not happy with the size bump. I realise there is a demand for a larger screen but the 5S is perfect for us and so many others. They could of released the 6plus and an updated 5S size. If there was a choice I'd love a new 5S with 128GB and A8.

The size they so proudly boosted about just a year ago is now abandoned, ignoring it worked perfectly for so many customers all these years. To make it worse they even removed the 64GB 5S from the store for those who prefer it's size.

They should release a version like the sports car version in their line up. 5S size, 128GB, latest CPU, same thickness as current 5S with thicker battery which resolves the protruding camera issue (so unnecessary if you ask me in the 6). Make the antenna out of stainless steel again like the 4 as my 5 antenna dents like play-dough when dropped.

Dezryth

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Plano, TX

These kinds of posts really bother me. Should the entire world wait until every American who feels entitled has received their iPhone before they become available in other countries?

I'm from Southern California so I know the personality types that feel they 'need' their new shiny phone, but you can wait. Just curious, how would you determine which countries 'need' the phone the most?

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I wrote a script to scrape Apple retail store stock levels for a 64GB Space Grey 6 Plus every 60 seconds. None - as in literally zero - in London or the South-East of England for 3 days now.

As such: 1 customer > supply.

Although perhaps a little obnoxious, I am not joking or trolling.

Edit: Now make that 4 days. I'm getting suspicious they're not allowing reservations anymore.

Last edited:

MrClam

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
New ipad air 2 still has 2 days shipping estimate.

So I'm assuming, that's not flying off the shelves..

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
HEY TIM COOK YOU LEFT OUT THE CORES IN THE NEW 2014 MAC MINI!!
ARE YOU SHORT ON QUAD CORES TOO??????????????????????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I'm from Southern California so I know the personality types that feel they 'need' their new shiny phone, but you can wait. Just curious, how would you determine which countries 'need' the phone the most?

Totally get you, luckily - I'm from the UK, so perhaps we'll always be in the first rollout. But, with pre-orders coming up to 10 Million in China, I just feel like (whilst I have no knowledge [obviously] about stock and where it goes and when) but those 10 Million could perhaps stay in the original roll out to catch up some what.

I see both sides, and I suppose you can't keep everyone happy.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
not being sarcastic..but that is good point...

Yeah, it would be hard to take a survey like that but I know a few older friends and family members that switched to Android because the bigger screens were easier for them to read and was less stress on their eyes.

HD303

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
Observatory Park
It's hard to believe this caught Apple "Off-guard". If so, whom ever is in charge of production should be demoted. Completely amateur and not representative of a company ranked 5 in the Fortune 500.

From the boardroom "What happened to production? Well sir, oops. <laugh> We completely underestimated the demand. All of our focus groups pooh poohed the phone, so we decided to make a limited run"

Complete BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.