Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phoenix111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
I don't currently own an iPad at all, but would like to pre-order one through Apple.com. I have definitely decided that I want a cellular one. Here's my question though: when I pre-order on the website, if I choose AT&T, will it take me through the prompts to set up a cellular plan for a tablet, data only? Or will Apple just send me a cellular iPad and require me to take it into an AT&T store and get everything setup?

I just want to know how much of a headache this is going to be. Thanks.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't currently own an iPad at all, but would like to pre-order one through Apple.com. I have definitely decided that I want a cellular one. Here's my question though: when I pre-order on the website, if I choose AT&T, will it take me through the prompts to set up a cellular plan for a tablet, data only? Or will Apple just send me a cellular iPad and require me to take it into an AT&T store and get everything setup?

When you receive the iPad, it will include a SIM card from the carrier of your choosing. You just sign up for a data plan from a month-to-month directly on the iPad by going to Settings > Cellular > View Account.

Phoenix111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
When you receive the iPad, it will include a SIM card from the carrier of your choosing. You just sign up for a data plan from a month-to-month directly on the iPad by going to Settings > Cellular > View Account.

So then I can in fact get a month to month data plan and can avoid getting locked into a two year contract then?

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011

There are no iPad Air 2's for separate carriers. Assuming it is an iPad Air 2 you want, it comes with a universal SIM that AT&T, Sprint, and Tmobile have signed on to use, and you just choose one and set up your data plan right from the iPad itself, no need to visit a store. If you want Verizon, you'll have to get a Verizon-only SIM from them.

DaiPlusPlus

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
To add to this. You can use AT&T this month, then switch to a different carrier next month.

I'm hoping this will mean significantly cheaper data plans. I come from the UK where you can get a data-only 1GB/month plan for about £7/month ($12), whereas the cheapest I can find is T-Mobile's $20 a month (AT&T's 250MB for $15 doesn't count).

What I really want is a plan I can share between my iPhone and iPad at the same time - does anyone offer anything like that?

Phoenix111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
To add to this. You can use AT&T this month, then switch to a different carrier next month.

Can I switch between AT&T and Verizon if I get a Verizon sim card? Or does that require a Verizon hardware specific iPad?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can I switch between AT&T and Verizon if I get a Verizon sim card? Or does that require a Verizon hardware specific iPad?

There is no Verizon specific iPad. All cellular iPads are the same, hardware wise. So theoretically, you should be able to switch between Verizon and AT&T by swapping SIM cards. Whether or not Verizon will allow that... That is the question!

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011

With the iPad Air 2, you just need to switch the SIM. They aren't carrier specific in the hardware.

Edit: Just want to be sure people understand the specificity. The original iPad Air (and all previous iPads) come in carrier specific versions, and while there have been threads detailing the hoops people have jumped through to get them activated on networks other than one they were built for, don't count on being able to do it. With the iPad Air 2 (the very newest one just announced), there are no more carrier specific versions (in the US, as well as the UK I believe). Verizon requires you to get a Verizon-specific SIM from them to activate on Verizon, but in order to go to and from Verizon all you have to do is switch the SIM, the iPad hardware itself is all the same version.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.