Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I have ABP and it's annoying seeing that red bubble. How to hide extension icons on the toolbar?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I have ABP and it's annoying seeing that red bubble. How to hide extension icons on the toolbar?

Either you right-click on the toolbar, select ‘Customise Toolbar…’ and then drag the icon away, or you just press and hold the command key while dragging the icon away.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If it's a normal toolbar icon, you should be able to Customize the Toolbar (View Menu), and drag that icon off the toolbar.
I _don't_ know if Adblock Plus icon will just reappear any time it is actually working (I don't use it ... )

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If it's a normal toolbar icon, you should be able to Customize the Toolbar (View Menu), and drag that icon off the toolbar.
I _don't_ know if Adblock Plus icon will just reappear any time it is actually working (I don't use it ... )

I think it can reappear if the extension itself is updated. Alternatively, you could use AdBlock which doesn’t have the red bubble.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I use both. What's the difference?

They are made by different developers and will vary in terms of features and underlying blocking mechanism.

I am not very familiar with AdBlock Plus, as I’ve always used AdBlock since it was available. Some people will undoubtedly claim that one is faster or less resource-intensive than the other, but that is something you have to ascertain for yourself. That being said, I think that AdBlock is a little easier to configure.

Using both would be waste of resources however, as they will probably use the same block lists. Just pick one and discard the other, they will both probably achieve similar blocking results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.