Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I've now noticed that activating my photo stream in iOS with automatic load of photos I take on the iPhone results in the automatic loading of photos into iPhoto.

This is absurd. There is no reason why photos I happily share with others should become part of the photos I care for in iPhoto.

I can't seem to kill the automatic from photo stream to iPhoto...

So currently I have switched of the automatic to photo stream, but surely there is a better way.

Has anyone encountered this ? ... and have a solution to propose ?

Thunderjet063

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
In iPhoto under preferences, iCloud, I believe if you un select Automatic Import. Photostream pics will go from your devices to your Mac iCloud (shared) folder but not to your iPhoto's library. I believe Automatic Import must be selected for them to be saved in your library. I hope I answered your question. I could have been misunderstanding your issue.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
In iPhoto under preferences, iCloud, I believe if you un select Automatic Import. Photostream pics will go from your devices to your Mac iCloud (shared) folder but not to your iPhoto's library. I believe Automatic Import must be selected for them to be saved in your library. I hope I answered your question. I could have been misunderstanding your issue.

I think so.

iPhoto is becoming such a massive frustration in that piles of pointless snap-happy photos made to test the iPhone6 have not just messed up my iPhoto archive.

I fail to see the use of this feature except just bring up disk space on an iMac. And Apple selling the disk space for $$$.

Thunderjet063

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
That's exactly what I do, and what I want it to do. I want my photos saved on my Mac and backed up on my external hard drive. Each month, I open my photos and simply delete any that are saved and I don't want. They are all cataloged by Month. But at least I know they're all safe in the mean time. Personally I think it works seamlessly.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
That's exactly what I do, and what I want it to do. I want my photos saved on my Mac and backed up on my external hard drive. Each month, I open my photos and simply delete any that are saved and I don't want. They are all cataloged by Month. But at least I know they're all safe in the mean time. Personally I think it works seamlessly.

I'm not saying it "does not work Seamlessly",

I'm saying that it gives no warning that it's just going to pile up pictures in iPhoto and iCloud. Including all the nonsense photos one does. Something one tends to do when they get a new gadget like iPhone6.

The pain is that it generates confusion... hence the name of the thread.

Thunderjet063

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
I get you. Maybe an option of "Save To Photostream?" could pop up after each picture is taken, giving the option of it going nowhere else except the Camera Roll. I could go along with something like that myself.

Or am I still off base?

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I get you. Maybe an option of "Save To Photostream?" could pop up after each picture is taken, giving the option of it going nowhere else except the Camera Roll. I could go along with something like that myself.

Or am I still off base?

No, thats a way forwards.

And I do agree one could look at iPhoto every so often. But the issue here is that iPhoto tries to do too much, often quite well actually.

So it becomes difficult to differentiate ones personal managed photos from those iPhoto managed for you.

But indeed, I do find myself deleting photos is Photostream, then deleting them again! in iPhoto.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

I'm saying that it gives no warning that it's just going to pile up pictures in iPhoto and iCloud. Including all the nonsense photos one does. Something one tends to do when they get a new gadget like iPhone6.

I think the PhotoStream documentation is very clear on how it works, if you take the time to look into it.

If your complaint is that you don't get that level of detail right when you turn PhotoStream on, then you're probably right. But, that wouldn't fit in with Apple's "it just works" mantra.

I could totally get behind a "Save to PhotoStream?" option as well.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

How does iPhoto know what is a good photo and what is a bad photo? You can turn it off all together or use another service all together.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
Aperture...

As a serious photographer this thread does nothing to easy my pain about Apple's murder of Aperture or what the future of photography will look like once Photos finally rolls out. :(

Thunderjet063

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
As a serious photographer this thread does nothing to easy my pain about Apple's murder of Aperture or what the future of photography will look like once Photos finally rolls out. :(

I didn't realize these were the issues at hand here. I have no pain killers to offer the "serious photographer".

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I think the PhotoStream documentation is very clear on how it works, if you take the time to look into it.

If your complaint is that you don't get that level of detail right when you turn PhotoStream on, then you're probably right. But, that wouldn't fit in with Apple's "it just works" mantra.

I could totally get behind a "Save to PhotoStream?" option as well.

I agree to the whole you wrote Sital, would add that when you have Apple products there is a tendency not to read manuals. Actually Apple manuals are very very succinct. So who actually reads them, and on what impetus ?

----------

How does iPhoto know what is a good photo and what is a bad photo? You can turn it off all together or use another service all together.

Exactly why a question should be asked in some way or form.

----------

Wouldn't you like to look at that in the way that - normally - close to anyone can actually take photos and enjoy them ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.