Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
So far we're only seeing the entry level $499 model being torn down.

I am *very* curious to see if there is a difference across models in accessibility and upgradeability.

Correction: should be the $999 model.

wootdawg

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2007
usa
Unfortunately, all models in the current mac mini line have the same (lack of) upgradeability and accessibility. For example, every different configuration of the new mac mini has it's own specific logic board (motherboard) part number, with different part numbers differentiating 8GB and 16GB models (all other specs identical). In fact, it appears there are 9 different logic boards for the new mini's based on which CPU and memory combination is chosen at time of purchase. Also, the "non-removable" bottom cover is stated to be used across all models in the mac mini lineup.

Last edited:

haligonia

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Unfortunately, all models in the current mac mini line have the same (lack of) upgradeability and accessibility.

I'd imagine you are correct, wootdawg. But I think there may still be some benefit to seeing teardowns of the other 2 models, because it's not 100% clear (to me, at least) from the iFixit teardown what options exist for upgrading or replacing the hard drive.

I would consider buying the 1 TB HDD version and replacing the HDD with a SATA SSD and PCIe SSD, but I'd want to see a step-by-step guide to doing so before I took the plunge.

haagar

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I'd imagine you are correct, wootdawg. But I think there may still be some benefit to seeing teardowns of the other 2 models, because it's not 100% clear (to me, at least) from the iFixit teardown what options exist for upgrading or replacing the hard drive.

I would consider buying the 1 TB HDD version and replacing the HDD with a SATA SSD and PCIe SSD, but I'd want to see a step-by-step guide to doing so before I took the plunge.

I already bought the mid-range mini, but am interested in seeing how you can retrofit with a PCIe SSD given that in the iFixit teardown it is missing the piece to connect it to the logic board models that don't come with it.

haligonia

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I already bought the mid-range mini, but am interested in seeing how you can retrofit with a PCIe SSD given that in the iFixit teardown it is missing the piece to connect it to the logic board models that don't come with it.

Let me know if you discover anything. Did you get the 1TB HDD model?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.