Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louis2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
hi ,i 've got an iPhone and iPad and often heard about water damage check mark. People want to know if their Apple products are waterdamaged or not. I am wondering if something gets damaged, can't it tell from the trying to start the machine and see if things still going alright? For example, the machine doesn't charge or doesn't turn on, or showing abnormal screen which obviously tells it has problems. Why still need to check the water damage mark or any other indication to confirm/test if it's damaged?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Because the water damage indicators can be tripped without any visible issues appearing in using the phone. Those problems can sometimes appear intermittantly. Also, if the phone is under warranty and a problem comes up, service will likely be denied if an indicator is tripped.

louis2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Because the water damage indicators can be tripped without any visible issues appearing in using the phone. Those problems can sometimes appear intermittantly. Also, if the phone is under warranty and a problem comes up, service will likely be denied if an indicator is tripped.

so ,how to check if my iPad mini 2 (retina display) has any problem? where to or how to see the water indicator??

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Google is a pretty handy tool. See https://www.google.com/search?q=ipa...7.9959j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Via https://www.gazelle.com/how-to/ipad/ipad-condition-assessment

The iPad 2 has no water damage indictors on the device. The easy way to check for water damage on the iPad 2 is to look for corrosion in the SIM card tray.

What they don't say is there's probably at least one indicator somewhere inside, but the point is there's none visible without disassembly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.