Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I have been using evernote only really to hold PDF copies of all my various user guides/operating manuals so i can view them on Mac and iPad, now i have upgraded my Mac and iPad to the latest operating systems i have decided that i would make use of the iCloud drive feature. I plan to add a folder to iCloud drive which will hold all of my PDF manuals/userguides. Is there an apple app on iPad that will be able to let me read these PDF files from iCloud drive (I've tried ibooks but this oddly doesn't let me access iCloud drive) or if not what are the best recommendations of other apps on the app store for this task?

Ive noticed that on my Mac spotlight will search these documents that are in the iCloud drive folder, from what i can see this cannot be done on iPad? spotlight search on iPad will not search iCloud drive is this correct?

Last edited:

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Goodreader can do this, as well as being a very capable all round pdf reader for the iPad.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I must have done something different with my wife's setup. I copied a .pdf to her iCloud Drive, and went to her iPad/files clicked on that .pdf document and read it fine.

But when I copied the same document to *my* iCloud drive and clicked on it, all I see is the title and size. Apparently my iPad doesn't know how to read a .pdf, but hers does.

There must be some other setting that I missed.

djs71a

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
I must have done something different with my wife's setup. I copied a .pdf to her iCloud Drive, and went to her iPad/files clicked on that .pdf document and read it fine.

But when I copied the same document to *my* iCloud drive and clicked on it, all I see is the title and size. Apparently my iPad doesn't know how to read a .pdf, but hers does.

There must be some other setting that I missed.

I have had that problem before. A reboot of my iPad fix it for me. Worth a shot in your case.

Reactions: Howard Brazee

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have been using evernote only really to hold PDF copies of all my various user guides/operating manuals so i can view them on Mac and iPad, now i have upgraded my Mac and iPad to the latest operating systems i have decided that i would make use of the iCloud drive feature. I plan to add a folder to iCloud drive which will hold all of my PDF manuals/userguides. Is there an apple app on iPad that will be able to let me read these PDF files from iCloud drive (I've tried ibooks but this oddly doesn't let me access iCloud drive) or if not what are the best recommendations of other apps on the app store for this task?

Ive noticed that on my Mac spotlight will search these documents that are in the iCloud drive folder, from what i can see this cannot be done on iPad? spotlight search on iPad will not search iCloud drive is this correct?
Open the Files app, find and tap on a .PDF file and it opens for reading. I'm not sure which app is being used there, I only have one third-party app installed on my iPad Air 3 and it's not PDF related. This is what works for me on iPad Air 3 with iPadOS 13.3.1

Reactions: cdcastillo

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i use drop box for cloud file pdf storage, use iCloud for photos only

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
I just tried DropBox. It asked me which reader to use to open it, and I said Adobe. I had to look up my Adobe password, but it worked. The DropBox app must be smarter than the Files app. Except my wife can use the Files app. There must be a setting somewhere I'm missing. At any rate, I can now read .pdf files that I copy from my Mac, on my iPad.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
I have issues where the ios files app should but does not work.

Dropbox has its own ios applicaiton that will specifically handle what you put into dropBox. iCloud or dropBox all the same thing more or less. Better you disperse your internet experience out some what over a select few redundant services.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Revmacian is right, iPadOS has a built in PDF reader that kicks in whenever you open a pdf in files (and Files does have access to iCloud, as long as you navigate to it).

You do not need any other 3rd part app for this, but you can use one if you so choose. Every PDF-capable app (including Dropbox) has access to iCloud. Actually, when you read a pdf on dropbox, as a default dropbox uses the built in PDF reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.