Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone joe

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
NY
I don't understand why the release date is being kept a secret? Wouldn't Apple want everyone to know that it's coming out on such and such date. Thanks.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I don't understand why the release date is being kept a secret? Wouldn't Apple want everyone to know that it's coming out on such and such date. Thanks.

They don't get to have many secrets anymore so they are taking what they can.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
they've done this with other ipads in the past. when the cellular mini originally came out it was delayed with no actual release date.

if they are shipping this week, then start checking the stores toward the end of the week.

it has nothing to do with people camping out :rolleyes:

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
They don't want people camping out because it is a public nuisance. Trash everywhere, people sleeping on the sidewalk, tents blocking pedestrian walkways, local business owners losing business because people don't' want to walk over the geeks to go have lunch, etc.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I've thought about this, and I think it's a very crafty move by Apple.

Normally, the keynote includes a general availability date. But this year, I think they are purposelessly obfuscating the availability date so there will be no press about the lack of lines and interest in the iPad.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
They don't want people camping out because it is a public nuisance. Trash everywhere, people sleeping on the sidewalk, tents blocking pedestrian walkways, local business owners losing business because people don't' want to walk over the geeks to go have lunch, etc.

Like Apple gives a hoot. As long as they get their money let the trash roll and the people sleep. I still guess they will be in stores Friday.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Its a way for Apple to make sure despite all leaks, there is at least one thing they can keep secret about an upcoming product launch.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Many times Apple updates a product, like a Macbook or iMac, without prior notice and without announcing a release date. But consumers know a yearly update is coming, just not exactly when. Most of the iPad releases are becoming more and more of a mundane yearly regular spec bump, like most Mac releases. Apple is just treating iPads and Macs more similarly now, in respect to the yearly hardware update method. Apple stills gives prior notice to iPad releases, but doesn't announce a release date.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
No, I wasn't implying that apple didn't want the campers. I was implying that they were told by authorities that they aren't allowed to have it anymore.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I understand that apple wants it, but others don't. It really is inconsiderate of other businesses and the general public to have people camping out everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.