Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
I wonder if the future imacs and mac pros will have soldered ram.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
What a stupid move that would be. Seems illogical considering we're talking about the top of the line workstation. You buy a Mac Pro because you have specific needs, among them the amount of ram you're going to install/need. Mac Pro users are more DIY than Grandma and her iMac.

Last edited:

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I dont see this happening anytime soon, nor any reason for it. The only way Apple would do this is to create a significantly smaller form factor in which standard RAM sticks would not fit.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
That wouldn't be the Mac Pro. That would be the new Mac Glue. Now with everything glued nicely inside.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I dont see this happening anytime soon, nor any reason for it. The only way Apple would do this is to create a significantly smaller form factor in which standard RAM sticks would not fit.

Read up on latest Mini.

They didn't make it any smaller, they just soldered in the RAM because they wanted to.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Read up on latest Mini.

They didn't make it any smaller, they just soldered in the RAM because they wanted to.

The price point of the mini is justifiable to do so. A pro buying a pro desktop would not dedicate that kind of money on a computer in which they are committing to set RAM for its lifetime.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The price point of the mini is justifiable to do so. A pro buying a pro desktop would not dedicate that kind of money on a computer in which they are committing to set RAM for its lifetime.

THE BIG PICTURE.

They started soldering iMac RAM, now it's Mini. They have been moving from replaceable CPUs to soldered. They were using MXM GPUs, now all are soldered.

There is no missing the direction this is headed, unless one chooses to keep one's head in the sand.

The Mac Pro is not exempt, have a look at it's current pared down condition. Apple's goal is a 1 piece computer that you use until it breaks or they give you good reason to "upgrade".

Think of all the times over the years a RAM stick has gone bad. For iMac and Mini owners out of warranty that now means a completely new logic board.

Reactions: ssgbryan

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
THE BIG PICTURE.

They started soldering iMac RAM, now it's Mini. They have been moving from replaceable CPUs to soldered. They were using MXM GPUs, now all are soldered.

There is no missing the direction this is headed, unless one chooses to keep one's head in the sand.

The Mac Pro is not exempt, have a look at it's current pared down condition. Apple's goal is a 1 piece computer that you use until it breaks or they give you good reason to "upgrade".

Think of all the times over the years a RAM stick has gone bad. For iMac and Mini owners out of warranty that now means a completely new logic board.

5k iMac is not soldered on

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
5k iMac is not soldered on

Yeah, but it's basically one of three computers Apple still offers where it's not. Who knows, maybe in the next revision it will be.

I fully expect Apple to remove all consumer upgradability in the next few years, and I fully expect I'll be saying "goodbye" to them around the same time.

I'm someone who will purchase a new iPhone every year or two, and budget for it. I'm not someone who expects to have to purchase a multi-thousand dollar computer every few years because I can't simply upgrade it.

If you or your company can afford to...then all the power to you!

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
Just by the definition of the machine ; MacPro I don't think they will take away all upgradability.

There is no reason for them to make it any smaller then it is, you have the mac mini for that.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
There is no reason for them to make it any smaller then it is, you have the mac mini for that.

Ah, another sad story with this one. Well, Apple sometimes does not follow reason. I hope they will at least draw a line between computers and "soldered devices acting like computers".

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
There is no reason for them to make it any smaller then it is

And yet....

Find me 10 people in 2012 who posted "I wish the Mac Pro were 1/8 the size it is, I'd gladly give up internal drives and GPUs and 4 RAM slots if it was small and cute and looked like a trash can"

I'd be very surprised if in 5 years there is anything WITHOUT soldered RAM.

Reactions: ssgbryan

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
And yet....

Find me 10 people in 2012 who posted "I wish the Mac Pro were 1/8 the size it is, I'd gladly give up internal drives and GPUs and 4 RAM slots if it was small and cute and looked like a trash can"

Sadly, you got a point there :eek:

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
THE BIG PICTURE.

I woke up in a relatively good mood but you just washed it all away thank you. :D;)

ibgb

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
usa
It's a trend; more and more stuff moves into a single chip, as frequencies increase, more stuff is on a chip or board. Intel wants to have a whole computer on a chip. Someday they may even have a graphics card on the main chip!

So just upgrade the board.

Some designs are created with thoughts of upgrading; some aren't.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
And yet....

You won't, but you can easily find people on this forum in 2012 who said "My 2006 machine is still going great!" and there is the issue. I think sales were just low to the point where this semi-appliance model works better for them financially.

-----------------------

Anyway, doubt RAM or CPUs will be soldered as it would be too big an expense to service. GPUs being custom means it doesn't matter.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Its rude to do it when the form factor doesn't require soldered on components and 99% of people would happily have another few mm on the thickness of their devices in order to make them upgradeable. Its simply a money making strategy and at some point it will backfire.

I'm sure Apply know what they are doing but I can't help but feel that in 10 years their PC business will be completely aimed at the average consumer. The pros are moving in that direction even though there are plenty of other macs that service the lightweight user. Still not being able to order 32gb ram in a macbook pro is a joke.

They seem to have a very obvious direction in their macbook pros. Give the user just enough power for most users and offer expensive upgrades when you order if you want something for intensive tasks. Give you ~10hrs battery life (which is obviously BS under normal use/work use). The overriding effort is to make it smaller and thinner which the pessimist inside me can't help think is partially to justify removal of user upgradeability.

I appreciates that the current rMBPs are amazing machines due to apples dedication to a small and light machine but honestly I don't feel like they need to go smaller on a pro model until they can do so without compromising the performance significantly.

My 13" 2013 rMBP is a beautiful machine but its not powerful enough anymore. I wan't something with 32gb ram and a top draw processor. I don't want to have to spend an extra £1000 to get a bit more ram and better processor that costs apple another £200.

Basically they are testing my faith and at some point it will break.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Its rude to do it when the form factor doesn't require soldered on components and 99% of people would happily have another few mm on the thickness of their devices in order to make them upgradeable. Its simply a money making strategy and at some point it will backfire.

I'm sure Apply know what they are doing but I can't help but feel that in 10 years their PC business will be completely aimed at the average consumer. The pros are moving in that direction even though there are plenty of other macs that service the lightweight user. Still not being able to order 32gb ram in a macbook pro is a joke.

They seem to have a very obvious direction in their macbook pros. Give the user just enough power for most users and offer expensive upgrades when you order if you want something for intensive tasks. Give you ~10hrs battery life (which is obviously BS under normal use/work use). The overriding effort is to make it smaller and thinner which the pessimist inside me can't help think is partially to justify removal of user upgradeability.

I appreciates that the current rMBPs are amazing machines due to apples dedication to a small and light machine but honestly I don't feel like they need to go smaller on a pro model until they can do so without compromising the performance significantly.

My 13" 2013 rMBP is a beautiful machine but its not powerful enough anymore. I wan't something with 32gb ram and a top draw processor. I don't want to have to spend an extra £1000 to get a bit more ram and better processor that costs apple another £200.

Basically they are testing my faith and at some point it will break.

This thread is pretty old and not about laptops

Reactions: p.l and jbarley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.