Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reese2147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
I thought I was confused with iCloud before and now I am really confused...

To give it a try, I enabled iCloud photo library on both my ipad and iphone. On the iphone, I have photos set to "download and keep originals". On my ipad, I have the setting as "optimize ipad storage"

When I view how much space photos are using on my devices (general-usage-manage storage) both devices are showing the EXACT SAME storage space for photos and camera. Shouldn't the storage on my ipad be less because I have "optimize" selected?

Reactions: AeroUK

acm1108

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah I'm having a terrible time understanding this as well.

I'm paying for the iCloud Drive thinking I could store my photos on the drive and view it anywhere. But after I put them in the "Your Cloud Drive" folder, and figure ok - so there is a copy in the drive and a copy on my phone locally. I should be safe to delete the copy on my phone right? Wrong it deletes it from my Your Cloud Drive folder as well... wtf is the purpose of me paying 3.99 a month for storage then

reese2147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Yeah I'm having a terrible time understanding this as well.

I'm paying for the iCloud Drive thinking I could store my photos on the drive and view it anywhere. But after I put them in the "Your Cloud Drive" folder, and figure ok - so there is a copy in the drive and a copy on my phone locally. I should be safe to delete the copy on my phone right? Wrong it deletes it from my Your Cloud Drive folder as well... wtf is the purpose of me paying 3.99 a month for storage then

Give OneDrive a try. From the sounds of things, its a solution you are looking for.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I thought I was confused with iCloud before and now I am really confused...

To give it a try, I enabled iCloud photo library on both my ipad and iphone. On the iphone, I have photos set to "download and keep originals". On my ipad, I have the setting as "optimize ipad storage"

When I view how much space photos are using on my devices (general-usage-manage storage) both devices are showing the EXACT SAME storage space for photos and camera. Shouldn't the storage on my ipad be less because I have "optimize" selected?

Does this refer to new photos or current ones? I think once they're uploaded as originals, copies of smaller photos are then downloaded to the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.