Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
K9jt8b9.png

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
this looks TOO good. According to that table the gpu compares well to desktop gpus and crushes the other mobile gpus - which is not realistic.

Well then, my 2012 iMac also crushes those results, too. I included my results taken just now on my iMac, above, with applications (Safari, iTunes, iMessages, Chrome, Word, Lightroom 5) all open.

This is NOT looking good for the high-end iMac. Depending on what results come from further testing, I might be tempted to cancel my order.

Last edited:

poplicola

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
I feel like this has to be wrong, but at first glance, it looks like your M295x benchmarks at nearly the same fps as the M290x:

ngvt79.jpg

Average FPS of all M290x benchmarks submitted to Novabench is 477 at this time.

Let's get some more results in!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
//edit: sorry looked at the wrong cards :)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M gets 865 fps, the M295X gets 591fps and the M290X gehts 477fps. This sounds reasonable and pretty much as expected.

I get the feeling the 295 is going to be a big disappointment. I hope I'm wrong.

Barely any better than my 2012 iMac's MX 680GTX? Oh well. Always next year, I suppose.

Last edited:

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
this test was done fresh out of the box, full res, nothing else installed or running.

I'm installing SC2 now, well see how that goes, then ill move on to 4k editing in FCPX

I'm very impressed so far the screen is on a whole other level

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
this test was done fresh out of the box, full res, nothing else installed or running.

I'm installing SC2 now, well see how that goes, then ill move on to 4k editing in FCPX

I'm very impressed so far the screen is on a whole other level

As a non-gamer I don't know what these benchmarks mean realistically. Can the 5k iMac power a 4k external at 60Hz?

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
As a non-gamer I don't know what these benchmarks mean realistically. Can the 5k iMac power a 4k external at 60Hz?

Right I don't plan on gaming with a nMP or an iMac I'm chomping at the bit to see how it performs at GPU accelerated apps/functions in Photoshop, FCPX, Adobe Premiere/After Effects.'

Also considering this puppy seems to be a middle ground between the 4c and 6c nMP it may be the next system I buy.

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014

I'm not a fan of these benchmarks either, but its the best thing we have. I'm not really much of a gamer either but i figure its the best way to push the display and see what happens, I'm a photojournalist so I'm more interested in FCPX and PS/LR, ill keep this thread updated as i take the rest of the day off to put this thing through its paces

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I feel like this has to be wrong, but at first glance, it looks like your M295x benchmarks at nearly the same fps as the M290x:

Average FPS of all M290x benchmarks submitted to Novabench is 477 at this time.

Let's get some more results in!

I'm praying that benchmark doesn't accurately reflect the M295X. Seems awfully odd they're benchmarking the same as the 290!

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
I'm praying that benchmark doesn't accurately reflect the M295X. Seems awfully odd they're benchmarking the same as the 290!

Can someone please bench the 295 with something other than novacrap, it's about as reliable as windows vista running on an acer pc

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

They mean very little. Novabench is the most pointless and rubbish benchmark I've ever seen.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I'm not a fan of these benchmarks either, but its the best thing we have. I'm not really much of a gamer either but i figure its the best way to push the display and see what happens, I'm a photojournalist so I'm more interested in FCPX and PS/LR, ill keep this thread updated as i take the rest of the day off to put this thing through its paces

I have no idea what those things are but brilliant!

AlphaMF

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
My novobench on GFX is 440 fps. I Reals doubt my onboard GFX performs that Well compared to the other cards mentioned. So I call ********.

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
really very pleased with how the gpu performed at full res in SC2, no stutters or refresh problems even into the late game, smooth sharp picture even under heavy gpu load

4E8Y6VU.jpg

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I posted in a separate thread, average 29 fps

29 is usable in 1v1, hmm I'm quite impressed actually. Reminds me of when D3 and the retina macbook was technically playable at 1800p.

I know the screen will make me want to empty my checkbook, but as this is my home machine, it would be a 3k machine to play SC2 LotV. Slight overkill.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
29 is usable in 1v1, hmm I'm quite impressed actually. Reminds me of when D3 and the retina macbook was technically playable at 1800p.

I know the screen will make me want to empty my checkbook, but as this is my home machine, it would be a 3k machine to play SC2 LotV. Slight overkill.

he said in the other thread that he got 26-29 fps in 3v3, so i guess in 1v1 you get 35 fps..or so...
So i changed my mind. in 2 years we will game at native resolution all the games except those very demanding like crysis/farcry etc
But light games like starcraft/wow/lol/diablo i think with the 3rd generation 5k imac we will get some 60 fps

In the beginning i thought in 10 years we will can play any game at 60fps at 2880p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.