Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McDLT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
is this for security or something? i thought the whole id of touch id was that it's more secure than passcodes. for that matter, i don't understand why you are allowed to enter a code or a fingerprint all the time. seems like it should just be the print. what am i missing here?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Print is more convenient. There's probably a better reason but that's the way I see it.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
IIRC, userland is encrypted with the passcode. I wonder if inputting the passcode after restart is required to decrypt things.

DarkJaye

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Entering a passcode basically unwraps an encryption key that's used to secure files on your device. On pre-Touch ID devices, locking the device throws away the unwrapped key, requiring you to enter your passcode again to unlock the phone.

On Touch ID devices, the unwrapped key is handed off to the Touch ID subsystem when the device is locked. So if you restart your phone, the Touch ID subsystem has no key to provide to unlock the phone. You need to enter the passcode at least once so it has the key to unlock the phone.

The Touch ID subsystem also deletes the key after 5 unsuccessful fingerprint reads, or after 48 hours of the phone being locked. It also deletes the key if Lost Mode is activated via Find My iPhone.

This is all for security, in case your phone is stolen and they try to use a copy of your print to unlock it, or to force your finger onto the sensor to unlock your phone against your will.

Touch ID is not more secure than a complex alphanumeric passcode (although it is more secure than a 4 digit PIN), but serves as a relatively secure mechanism to prove that you're the person that knows the passcode. It's not a complete replacement, just a convenient alternative.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I don't mind that you have to enter your password after a restart but I hate that you have to re-enter your password for your Apple ID when you purchase an app or song.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
is this for security or something? i thought the whole id of touch id was that it's more secure than passcodes. for that matter, i don't understand why you are allowed to enter a code or a fingerprint all the time. seems like it should just be the print. what am i missing here?
Passcodes are potentially more secure. Touch ID is mainly for convenience. This is why the passcode has precedence over Touch ID after restarting the phone.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

I wondered the same. I'm sure it's just for extra security, but it does seem unnecessary. I also get annoyed to have to manually enter my iTunes password after restarting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.