Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
12/2 update - Changed title, since the 15GB for $100 expired on 11/30. For those new to this thread, in October AT&T had an internal promotion whereby they would match Sprint's 20GB for $100 family share promo. AT&T killed this after a few days, as too many people signed up for it. Then in November they offered a 15GB for $100 family share, which expired on 11/30. As of now it appears the only promo is the "standard" doubling for 15GB and higher plans (i.e. 30GB for $130, the normal price of 15GB plans). I will update again if any promos for less than 30GB arise.

The original matching "promo" detailed below died somewhere around 10/27.

11/17 update - Posters near the end of this thread alerted to the fact that AT&T is matching Verizon's promo of 15GB for the price of 10GB.

Resendetra noted AT&T has made the match official, meaning nobody has to do the retentions dance to get this promo.

I'm leaving original post below.

I'm a pretty new MacRumors forum member, so hopefully I'm not committing a huge faux pas by doing this. It has come to light that AT&T is now willing to match Sprint's 20GB for $100 family share plan by bumping their 10GB to 20GB and leaving the price at $100.

This is covered on page 10 of the AT&T Double Mobile Share Data Pool thread. The short version is, you have to call and talk to the retentions department. Tell them you're considering canceling and going Sprint for the 20GB for 10GB price, but you heard they would match. It's pretty easy. Must be done by 10/31.

However, I think this is pretty big news, especially for folks like me who took the 30GB offer, but really only needed a bit more than 10GB.

Thus, I started a new thread about a topic in an existing thread. I know, people get flamed for this. I think it is warranted in this case because the news is located on page 10 of the thread and I doubt most interested parties will see it. If you disagree, please flag this thread for a moderator to delete.

Last edited:

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Sucks you have to call retentions to obtain this deal because I would've honestly rather had this deal than the 30GB. That's way too much for and my family honestly.

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Why does it suck to have to call retentions? Does calling retentions have a negative impact I am unaware of? Did I just nuke my credit score or some other horrible side effect? :eek:

Roland Deschain

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
It's just not a pleasant thing to have to experience.

Gotcha. Actually, the lady was super nice. Offered a $25 credit for my "trouble", if you can call a 10 minute phone call trouble. Probably the best experience I've had with AT&T in years, especially considering the 6+ preorder fiasco that ended with me buying a month later in an Apple Store. To be honest my opinion of AT&T went from "meh" before the call to "these guys aren't so bad" after.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Just did this...worked perfectly! took about 5 min to process and now I have 20gb for the price of 10gb

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. They would only offer to upgrade me to the 15gb & double it for another $30/mo. I mentioned that a friend was able to get the 10gb plan doubled to 20gb for no additional charge to match Sprint's offer. They were surprised by this. But, still no go :(

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
Just did it. Smooth as silk. Took about 8 minutes. Dialed 611 and told the voice I wanted the retention department. Rep answered, and i told her what Sprint was doing, and asked if they would match it. She said absolutely! we are doing a promotion right now to match it. She asked for my information to look and verify that i was already on the 10GB family shared data plan, and then changed it. Simple as that. Even got a confirmation text afterword. Checked my account online and the change was immediate! :cool:

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
I just called and told them that I found out that Sprint has the 20GB for $100 and was wondering if AT&T could help me out. I didn't threaten to cancel, or make any threats. She said since I was a long time customer, she will double my data to 20GB for no additional cost. I checked on AT&T and it still shows 10GB but we'll see.

Update: Website is reporting that I am on the Mobile Share Plan 10GB, but total data is x/20GB. So I guess it updated but no text or anything.

Last edited:

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
Just did this along with a friend of mine. Both of us got it. No problem at all. He got his instantly, I won't get it til Nov 6th (start billing cycle).

THANK YOU for letting everyone know! You're a godsend!

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Gonna try this! Will report back.

I've always been happy with market competition.:)))

Update: no go. They tried to sell me the new double mobile share plans. Tried it via chat. Might try this ver the phone sometime later this week.

Last edited:

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Strike 2 :mad: Don't know how or what people are telling the rep to get their 10gb plan x2. But I tried again and still no go! I even explained that AT&T is doing this for others. She tried to tell me that, that isn't even an option in the system and tried to tell me that these people are either on 15 going to 30 or 20 going to 40! She didn't quite understand what I was saying. I gave up!

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I just called retentions and got the 10gb for 20gb deal. The rep was very pleasant and he gave me a $15 credit to cover the prorated amount of the 30gb I had switched to 2 weeks ago. Really happy right now to be saving that extra $30. It showed up immediately on my account and I got a text confirmation. Don't use chat or call C/S, they will tell you that it is a rumor and there is no such deal. He said only retentions can give you that deal.

Last edited:

cymolia

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Orange County, FL
Wow didnt even know they were doubling the 10 to 20, thought it was the 15 and up. Thanks OP, i just got 10 gb for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

p.s make sure you speak to retention, it wont work any other way

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Wow didnt even know they were doubling the 10 to 20, thought it was the 15 and up. Thanks OP, i just got 10 gb for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

p.s make sure you speak to retention, it wont work any other way[/QUOTE{

Customer service reps are telling me there is no other promotion.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

It's not a promotion. Retentions is doing this for people who are asking for it to match Sprint. C/S won't help you and probably don't know what you are talking about. Call the retention dept only.

cymolia

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Orange County, FL

took me less than 10 min , i didnt even have to bring up sprint or leaving. i just asked them if they were offering the double data, he said yes and switched it from 10 to 20. there was even a $40 pro rated charge that he took care of crediting my bill. Awesome

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
took me less than 10 min , i didnt even have to bring up sprint or leaving. i just asked them if they were offering the double data, he said yes and switched it from 10 to 20. there was even a $40 pro rated charged that he took care of crediting my bill. Awesome

Does your plan online still say Mobile Share Value Plan 10GB? Or does it say 20GB as the plan?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The $64 question..

If you get this plan, does the 20GB drop back to 10GB after 10/31?

BL.

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012

this is gonna sound dumb but what is retention? customer service over the phone?

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
The $64 question..

BL.

No, I specifically asked him about that and it is forever unless you change your plan.. He did tell me that Sprints deal is only good for one year though ;)

cymolia

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Orange County, FL
this is gonna sound dumb but what is retention? customer service over the phone?

its the dept you talk to when you want to disconnect your service and switch to the competitor. They will try anyting to not let you leave, try to retain your business if that sounds a little more familiar

----------

The $64 question..

BL.

No i can confirm its forever :cool:

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Update: So I spoke to a rep in the retention department and not only did he double the data from 10GB to 20GB, but he also gave me a $40 credit on my current bill! He said that only the retention department knows about this double data offer so you must speak to them before 10/31. Thanks for creating this thread! Keep trying if you get turned down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.