Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi,

I need to know where the source images come from for apple maps (using on mac).

Basically it is the only mapping satellite system I can find with a decent map of a place, but I need a flat, true image, the mac application views in 3d all the time so everything is skewed!

Either need to know if I can view the source images elsewhere (like another companies online map browser)

or

how to turn off 3d in apple macs for mavericks!?

Thanks!

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Nope, it still loads terrain in 3d and has a perspective on (even when from top view) which skews the satellite images... (Unlike Google or bing maps).

I've realised there is no solution.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Nope, it still loads terrain in 3d and has a perspective on (even when from top view) which skews the satellite images... (Unlike Google or bing maps).

I've realised there is no solution.

Please post a screen shot (or section of one) showing this perspective on terrain, while 3D has been turned off. Also post a screen shot of the same terrain when 3D is turned on, for comparison purposes.

If you're looking at terrain details such as trees or steep-walled canyons, then you should recognize that satellite pictures will show foreshortened trees (or any other terrain) simply because the satellite isn't always directly over the terrain. That is, the picture may be taken at some angle that's not exactly perpendicular to the Earth's surface. Depending on where the satellite is relative to whatever it's taking a picture of, these effects may be more or less noticeable. In short, it depends on exactly what terrain you're looking at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.